Other Breast Cancer Surviors

Options
I'm looking to add breast cancer surviors friends to my frineds list. I'm having a hard time losing the weight I gained during chemo. I thought other surviors stories and support would help. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• rars2011
    rars2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I finished my last chemo on August 5th, Had gained 30 pounds with all the steroids etc. Now I am working on taking this weight off. So far I've lost 20 pounds (lost some before joing myfitnesspal). It's been slow but steady as I am still on some meds that usually help increase weight a bit. I wish you all the best.
  • jmclowser
    jmclowser Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you too. I was on steroid also and gained 40 pounds. I lost 17 pounds on my own, then I got stuck. I'm still stuck. I was overweight before, so I still have a lot to lose.
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im not a survivor but I have experienced the stress of waiting for results. I have had 4 lumps removed and I have one that is reoccuring. A good friend of mine is a survivor and I think that you are the strongest women I will ever know.
  • rars2011
    rars2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I spoke to one of the nutritionists at the cancer clinic about good nutrition and weight loss.That might help you, I also have been taking a leisurely walk for an hour each morning and getting on my exercise bike each day for 45-60 minutes.The only time I didn't exercise was the first week after each chemo when I was feeling really tired but after the first week I was back at it again even if I just did it in 15 minute chunks of time.My doctors told me that both good nutrition and exercise would play a big role in my recovery so I am doing my best. Don't be discouraged about plateau-ing with your weight. It happens. Just continue to eat properly and exercise and the plateau will eventually be broken.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the thread, but you can add me if you like. I am a little over 5 1/2 years out from my diagnosis, so the weight I'm trying to lose isn't related to treatment. But I still think there are on-going issues that we as survivors deal with that others don't. Good luck to you!
  • WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi i got the all clear in sept i have gained alot of weight need to lose 70/80 lbs not all gained thru cancer treatment
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am four years out, taking arirmidex which causes weight gain i had a lumpectomy, radiation and chemo. I have lost 70 pounds since my cancer and intend to lose 20 more pounds in my fifth year olut I am at the healthiest I have been in 30 years and at 56 my most physically attractive in my adult life. If cancer or another of life's surprises come at me again, I will be able to take comfort in knowing that I have poised myself to be in the best shape possible to fight back.

One trick I use to keep me on the path exercise and food-wise is my "lessons learned" basket. Soon after the cancer I jotted down things I didn't want to forget about my journey through cancer and my goals for the future. I keep those strips in this "breast cancer pink" basket, when I start to return to my old ways mentally or physically I pull out my basket and randomly pull out five strips of paper with a personalized lesson from me. It really helps.

I am not yet comfortable doing friends on MFP, but would love to join an MFP group for breast cancer survivors.
  • WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Welcome 1953judith and WELL DONE for the weight loss and a great attiude fell free to add me as a friend when ready
  • pixlinda
    Options
    Just joined MPF at recommendation of friend who's lost 50lbs with y'all. Am a 14yr survivor currently in 3rd yr remission from Stage IV mets and would be thrilled to join a group of ladies who are working to lose with no benefit of hormones. I was diagnosed when my younger child was 15mos and never lost the baby fat before heading into chemo and anti-estrogens. Also kind of hard to think about losing weight when you don't expect to live very long. God has had the last chuckle and here I still am - now needing to lost that woe-is-me weight as well! I would love pointers, encouragement, and people who won't let me use cancer as an excuse. Hope it's not too late to join.
  • texaslonghorn42
    texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am two years out from surgery (lumpectomy) and Oct will be 2 years since I finished 33 sessions of RADS. I gained probably 15 pounds during everything and am finally able to be back to where I can work on losing it without being in pain all the time from the scar tissue in my breast.