Heart rate monitors

Options
So many to choose from. I'd love some advice!

Right now I'm just planning to use it during my gym cardio workouts, but eventually (when most of the weight is gone) I plan to train for a triathlon.

How reliable are the monitors without the chest strap?

Should I go ahead and invest in a big fancy one, with watch/alarm/lap counter for running/cycling speed & cadence for cycling, etc., or should a get a cheaper, basic one now and worry about all that fancy stuff later?

How about brands? Polar and Garmin seem to be the big ones.

Even at the height of my fitness and training, I don't think I'd need one with a GPS and an altimeter, etc. It's not like I'll become a real athlete after 46 years of being a lazy fatass. LOL I just want something that will help me make sure that I'm getting the most efficient workout.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Nobody? :cry:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7 can be used in water. Cost around 80 dollars on line. Yes you need a chest strap to be more accurate.
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my Garmin FR60.
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used my husband's today and had a small issue with my boobs and the sports bra and loosing contact but other than a few blips which we got sorted out, it worked fine.

It is a Polar F1, kinda old, borrowed it off a friend..

From other posts people have said do not get one that just sits on the wrist. You need the one that goes around your body and communicates to a wrist band.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT60 has all the bell and whistle and is also capable of adding a foot pod for GPS tracking later on when you start cycling or running in the mean time I use mine for calorie burn and use my smartphone (endomondo) for tracking my walks..... You want to get one with a chest strap for better accuracy..... Got my off www.heartratemonitorusa.com they had a promo code: POLAR that you can put in at checkout and get 5% off your order.. Not a big discount lol but every little bit helps... Best of Luck...
  • AngelTwin27
    AngelTwin27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it, as do a few others I know and a couple have the FT7, which offers a few extra features.

Polar seems to be a pretty good brand at a reasonable price!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Polar Ft7 and love it! I use it for my zumba classes, walks, runs, exercise DVDS. Its a great investment! If you are looking at an HRM without a chest strap it will not be accurate.

The chest strap is what reads your heart rate, so you have to buy one that includes one. Don't get a cheapo from wal mart with no chest strap, they are not accurate.

I bought mine online for like $70 with shipping.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm reading all about your recommendations on bodytronics.com. I feel like a kid in a candy store -- I love "stuff." Now I just have to get the next 6 lbs off so I can reward myself with the monitor! LOL

(15 lbs after that, fancy cycling shoes for spinning class! 15 lbs after that, new running shoes! 15 lbs after that, new bike!)
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Got mine on biotronics use coupon code POPO
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about exercise, you need one with a chest strap. They are just that much more accurate.

I started with a fairly basic Polar (FT7) but now have a Garmin Forerunner 610. I'll never be the most serious runner but I love the GPS. It also does a great job of tracking my cycle commute. I can argue for both. The basic HRM did me well for a long time and it may be all you'll ever need. That said, as I got more into my running, I got tired of tracking two separate chunks of data - the HR on the one side and the speed/distance/route on the other. The Garmin solved that problem. It amazes me how much data the thing tracks. The Garmin was definitely a splurge - I really didn't need a $400 GPS watch - but I can honestly say I have not regretted buying it.