A protein bar a day

Options
I eat a 250-400 calorie protein bar a day...opinions?
Should I limit and alternate days?

Replies

• kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    that all depends on how much protein you eat otherwise and if you exercise or not. if you are completely sedentary you only need about 50 grams of protein a day but if you exercise and are in a large calorie deficit 100 grams is ideal. Other than that you are just consuming unnecessary energy.
  • SteelMagnoliaxx
    SteelMagnoliaxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating a 200-250 cal protein bar every night because it satisfies my appetite and helps keep me from craving junk foods. If its just one per day, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, definitely healthier than a lot of other snacks.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Here's a handy chart I found:

Activity level Protein needs (grams)

Sedentary Weight in pounds X .4

Active Weight in pounds. X .6

Competitive athlete Weight in pounds X .75

Light body-builder Weight in pounds X .85

from http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410520,00.html

Although I wouldn't really recommend protein bars.....they're usually filled with sugar and other junk, and more often than not have more carbs than protein. Make sure to read the label on yours. You'd probably be better off eating a hardboiled egg, having a protein shake, celery and peanutbutter, etc.
  • RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Options
    How much protein is in that bar that is 250 - 400 calories? I am willing to guess that there is a lot of sugar in that bar if it is clocking in the upper end of that range.

Protein shakes may be a better alternative as it packs that protein punch without adding a lot of sugar.

As for should you limit or alternate, that would depend on what other sources of protein are you consuming as well as your goals. If you enjoy it and it helps supplement your diet then stick with it. But if that is a major source of the protein you consuming, I would say look to powders for shakes and lean protein from chicken or fish, and eggs.
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    Yeah, RES2333 is right. Protein powder will save you money compared to bars (if you buy good stuff it's ~85 cents per serving), and it usually contains more lean protein than the bars.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    a lot of "protein" bars don't really have much protein and are high in carbs/sugar. I like Quest bars quite a bit (microwave them for 10 seconds before eating and they're friggin delicious) and check out the nutritional profile:

Calories 170
    Total Fat 6 g
    Saturated 1 g
    Total Carbs 24 g
    Fiber 19 g
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 20 g

20g of protein and 5 net carbs is pretty awesome :)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you then do it. I'd suggest maybe cutting back to where it isn't every day and trying to get most of your protein from good whole foods like lean meats, etc. Afterall, protein bars are basically candy just with more protein. ;P
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't buy protein bars -___-

You can make your own for a hell of a lot cheaper, plus they won't be filled with sugar and all the processed ingredients that are in protein bars...
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Protein bars are fantastic as meal replacements, and they're a good way to make sure you stick to a good diet while you're out of the house. They're only bad if you have problems feeling full, because they have a lot of calories for their size.
  • debrafm
    debrafm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I will have nutrition bars sometimes for lunch while I'm at work because of its convenience. I am in and out of accounts all day and the easiest thing to do for lunch is go to fast food, which I will not continue to do. I like the Life Choice ones that I found at Walmart.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    a lot of "protein" bars don't really have much protein and are high in carbs/sugar. I like Quest bars quite a bit (microwave them for 10 seconds before eating and they're friggin delicious) and check out the nutritional profile:

Calories 170
    Total Fat 6 g
    Saturated 1 g
    Total Carbs 24 g
    Fiber 19 g
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 20 g

20g of protein and 5 net carbs is pretty awesome :)

This!! I love the chocolate brownie, chocolate peanut butter, peanut butter supreme, cinnamon roll, and mixed berry bliss.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    To maintain muscle mass while losing aim for .8 to 1 times your body weight in protein. If you are significantly overweight, aim for your goal weight in grams of protein. And to answer your question.....nothing wrong with eating a protein bar as long as it fits in your macros. MFP is tragically low on protein....I would urge you to manually change it to the above suggestions.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I eat an Atkins meal replacement bar as a snack just about every day! I have issues eating enough calories, so I find them to be a good way to get a calorie boost. In addition, they have so many yummy flavors that they can fulfill a craving I might have ( such as a brownie, choc chip cookie dough, etc)
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump.

It depends on your activity level an what else your eating.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar pretty much daily. Much better than eating a candy bar daily.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If I'm lazy and cutting weight, I'll eat Quest bars. If I'm lazy and gaining, I'll eat a VPX Zero Impact Pumpkin Pie or German Chocolate bar. If I'm not lazy, I make my own.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Having two little boys under the age of three leaves me with not a whole lotta time to make food. I eat protein bars (one a day, rarely two) to supplement, making sure they are relatively low in sugar. Promax LS are really good, but they are "high" in sugar (9g) compared to, say, Pure Protein. But they also have 14 g of fiber and taste good. Since I like food that tastes good, they are a winner in my book. :happy:
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    True I think I enjoy them so much bc they are practically candy....I burn around 2000 calories a day with lots of cardio and 30-60 mins of crossfit/weights. They really fill me up and they are all I eat at lunch maybe accompanied by an apple or apple sauce.
    I agree it is expensive I spent $30 for enough bars to last until August but when you think abou the fact that that is my lunch for 18 days I guess it is not that bad?
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    True I think I enjoy them so much bc they are practically candy....I burn around 2000 calories a day with lots of cardio and 30-60 mins of crossfit/weights. They really fill me up and they are all I eat at lunch maybe accompanied by an apple or apple sauce.
    I agree it is expensive I spent $30 for enough bars to last until August but when you think abou the fact that that is my lunch for 18 days I guess it is not that bad?

HEYO!

You need a protein bar with a 2:1 protein: carb ratio or better. Most "protein" bars are 4:1, which means they have four grams of carb to every one gram of protein (an example is a cliff bar). 4:1 style are high on the glycemic index and cause Insulin spikes, which ultimately can force your body to gain fat faster and lose it slower.

"Protein" bars are often candy bars with "protein" in the name. A snickers bar has 5 grams of protein...

Remember to look at "carbohydrate", not "sugar" when figuring out this ratio. The un-claimed "carbohydrates" are starches.

Nate

wellfitlife.me