Quick Healthy Breakfast recipe ideas??

Options
JLWesterlund
JLWesterlund Posts: 23 Member
I really struggle with coming up with quick, good, healthy breakfast ideas. I don't have time to cook in the mornings so does anyone have breakfast recipes that can be made on the weekends or don't require the stove? (perferrable low- or no-carb)

Replies

• Bilbobradshaw
    Bilbobradshaw Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning and then run to work, so I usually try to make quick and easy breakfast meals! Here are my 5 go-to items:

Meal 1 -- Overnight Oats
    In a container (reused yogurt container, tupperware, whatever) mix:
    -1/4 cup of steal cut oats (or however much you think you'll eat)
    - dried fruit (I usually use either 1 prune or 1 apricot)
    - 3-5 walnut halves
    - cinnamon
    - powdered ginger (obviously skip if you hate ginger)
    - 1/4 of a frozen banana
    - enough milk (I use fat free soy milk) to wet this little mixture

Leave all this **** in a container in your fridge overnight. Tomorrow, you will wake up to a delicious breakfast. I also like to throw in some baby cereal, because it has a **** load of iron.

Meal 2 -- Hardboiled eggs
    Exactly what it looks like. Boil half a dozen of them, and then eat a couple for breakfast. If I'm feeling extravagant, I'll smush them on to pita bread

Meal 3 -- Carnation Instant Breakfast
    I usually use these in conjunction with the other two (and only use half the packet). No, this isn't a really filling breakfast, but if you drink it with fortified soy, it gives you a huge dose of the daily recommended vitamins you need. It's also a great recovery beverage after a workout if you don't fancy typical protein drinks.

Meal 4 -- Apple with peanut/almond butter.

Meal 5 -- Banana-peanut butter "ice cream"
    Yeah, this has a few more calories than the others, but it's totally delicious and great if you work out in the morning. The night before, slice up a banana into medallions. When you're ready the next day, throw them into a blender with about 1tsp of peanut butter and just a dash of milk. This **** is hard to blend, but just keep stopping to give your blender a little shake. Eventually, the whole thing will be smooth and creamy with the constancy of soft serve ice cream.

** I realize I really only offer 1 low/no carb solution, but I'm not a believer in "low carb" diets. If you're going to waste carbs on ONE meal, breakfast should be it in my opinion.
  • MartiJ521
    MartiJ521 Posts: 434
    Options
    I usually have Nutella on piece of wheat toast or multigrain cheerios, dry.
  • raiseyourgame
    Options
    Greek yogurt with a tiny bit of honey
    Protein shake with egg whites, skim milk (pretty high in protein I must say)
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    The best method is to skip it.
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast until I'm at work so my go to breakfast during the week is a package of high fiber brown sugar oatmeal with either fresh blueberries or low sugar cinnamon apple sauce (warmed) and sometimes 1/2 oz. walnuts ( I premeasure these in ziplock bags)
  • JLWesterlund
    JLWesterlund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I've never heard of overnight oats but I am definitely going to give it a try.
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    I do overnight oats too. I use all kinds of grains, seeds, nuts and fresh, dried or frozen fruit to keep it interesting. It turns out to be fewer calories than granola and I buy at the local bulk food place, so much cheaper too. I tend to do batches for about three days. On rush days, I scoop some out into a lunch container and eat it when I get to work.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't imagine the oats go well on a low carb diet. Scrambled eggs and diced peppers in a low carb wrap can be made ahead of time and put in the fridge for a grab-n-go breakfast.
  • lyssielou1620
    lyssielou1620 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a Slimfast shake (Rich Royale Chocolate). I keep them in my freezer and then in the morning microwave it a little and shake it and it tastes like a Wendy's frosty. I love it because it's super quick, easy, tastes great, and it keeps me full.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I make a Quiche over the weekend and take it out the night before I want to eat it and just warm it in the morning Sometimes with a slice of toast depedning of calorie content of Quiche :)
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with fruit of your choice.