Exercises??

Options
I was wondering if y'all knew of some really good upper body workouts to do?? Some at home and also at the gym would be ok... I read a lot about people getting stuck on plateaus and needing to switch up their exercises and doing different muscle groups... To me it's a lot easier doing lower body with the legs etc but what are some good ones for upper body to use the big muscles?? Also what is something that is good for doing the inner thighs??

Thanks!!

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    this is the easiest/ hardest thing i do for my arms all at once. you just get to sit on the floor! i usually use my phone as a stopwatch and hold my arms straight out in a t shape for a minute and a half without moving, then i do the same thing with my arms straight up above my head. next i hold them parallel straight out in front. no bending your elbows!! i do a minute and a half for each motion but you can always work up to a long time. also, i do not put my arms down in between switching positions. your shoulders will be shaking!! hope this helps.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I started pole dancing classes about two months ago and I have killer arms and shoulders now compared to any other thing I have ever done. Now I just need my legs and waist to catch up!
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    I started pole dancing classes about two months ago and I have killer arms and shoulders now compared to any other thing I have ever done. Now I just need my legs and waist to catch up!

When I get to where I feel comfortable enough with myself I would LOVE to try a pole dancing class!! I would be scared I wouldn't be able to hold myself up!! My bf would like if I did them too lol
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    have you been doing isolated exercises per muscle group or compound?

for example, a bicep curl is an isolated exercise whereas a push up/bench press is a compound exercise (more than one major muscle)

I suggest switching out whatever you have been doing and try the other...

a good full upper body workout in one session could consist of the following (all compound):

bench press/push ups - shoulders, chest, triceps
    pullups - biceps, back
    dips - tricpes, shoulders

all those exercises can be done on machines that offer assistance (i.e. you don't have to be able to pull up your bodyweight to get the benefit of the exercise)
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

for example, a bicep curl is an isolated exercise whereas a push up/bench press is a compound exercise (more than one major muscle)

a good full upper body workout in one session could consist of the following (all compound):

pullups - biceps, back

all those exercises can be done on machines that offer assistance (i.e. you don't have to be able to pull up your bodyweight to get the benefit of the exercise)

I guess when put that way I would more isolated as opposed to compound... assuming compound is better???

I can't do 1 single pull up to save my life, not with the machine... the grace of God.. nothing!!

So pushups, dips, bench presses... anything else that would be good?? What about some things at home with like 5, 8 or 12 pound dumbbells??
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

pullups - biceps, back

I guess when put that way I would more isolated as opposed to compound... assuming compound is better???

I can't do 1 single pull up to save my life, not with the machine... the grace of God.. nothing!!

So pushups, dips, bench presses... anything else that would be good?? What about some things at home with like 5, 8 or 12 pound dumbbells??
  • disbey
    disbey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For at home, I would suggest Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD. It uses very little weight, but will give you very nice and shapely arms and also hit other trouble zones as well. I think you can rent it from Netflix before buying if you'd like.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    My upper body workout consists of two sets of 15 reps each. I do:

Pushups
    Bent over dumbell rows (15 for each arm)
    Shoulder presses
    Dips
    Biceps curls
    Abdominal crunches

But then, I'm just starting out. This workout sounds simple but when done right leaves my arms feeling like JELLO! Last time I could barely shampoo my hair, hahaha. I feel it for about two days afterwards, in a good way. I can feel it in my pecs, abs, back- and all through my arms.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    For at home, I would suggest Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD. It uses very little weight, but will give you very nice and shapely arms and also hit other trouble zones as well. I think you can rent it from Netflix before buying if you'd like.

IF you have ondemand from your cable company you can get this free, I like the Quick trouble Zones. its only 40 min and still a great workout.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

pullups - biceps, back

there is no better, it's just a change, that's the key here

here is a site which has some compound exercises for upper body that you can do at home

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/search.asp?muscle=Compound&keyword=Dumbbell

just remember, as with any strength training - you need to push yourself to your limit (or your muscles limit for that matter :) )
    if your muscles are not burning 3/4's of the way through your set, you're not doing it right
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

pullups - biceps, back

there is no better, it's just a change, that's the key here

here is a site which has some compound exercises for upper body that you can do at home

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/search.asp?muscle=Compound&keyword=Dumbbell

just remember, as with any strength training - you need to push yourself to your limit (or your muscles limit for that matter :) )
    if your muscles are not burning 3/4's of the way through your set, you're not doing it right

That is wonderful to hear!! I will have to remember the 3/4 of the way thing!!! My bf is a trainer but he is a butthead when I start laughing at myself because I feel silly so I don't ask anymore lol... I know when I do lunges and I try to do at least 10 on each leg at a time at like 5 or 6 I start feeling like I'm going to throw up it's burning so bad... really sad but true. Thanks so much!!!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

I forgot to mention- all of the exercises I mentioned below I do at home. I use my coffee table as a bench, and use a weighted resistance band (dumbbells would also work).
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!