Why?

I do not understand the weight charts in Dr's offices. Whereas a small-boned, less muscular person could easily weigh in the range for healthy, a large-boned, muscular person would have a difficult time weighing at the highest end of the weight range. These charts do not take into consideration body type, frame or age.

I have been dedicated to my health and keeping down my weight for years. No, I am far from skinny, and yes--I am larger-boned for my 5'2 frame. Does this mean I am unhealthy and fat because I rarely weigh what the charts tell me? Only at my wedding was I the in the chart's healthy weight range, and it was due to stress and too many cans of Slimfast!

It really bothers me when I go to the Dr's, and she shows me the charts, and my BMI. I have been doing P-90X, Insanity and Asylum for two years, and my arms and legs have never looked more in shape. I also have better abs then I had when I was younger! Why is the number of the scale always an issue? I eat in moderation, watch my sweet in-take, and I exercise faithfully 5 to 6 days a week. Why is this not considered healthy, and why do I need to starve myself to reach this unrealistic chart weight range?

If anyone can relate to this, please let me know. I was feeling great about myself until I went to the Dr's, and she starts going on about what I eat, do I exercise, etc! I wanted to tell her that everyone is not small-boned or skinny. She does not seem take this into consideration. Now, I am tracking all my food and exercise here, and I was hoping that someone would shed some light on these charts!!! Are they unrealistic for larger-boned, muscular body types?

Replies

• tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    People in the exercise science field HATE those charts. You are absolutely correct. It does not take many things into account. BMI (body mass index) is just a ratio of height and weight. What you want to look at is Body Fat percentage. I would advise you to get a skinfold test. This will be a much better idea of how 'healthy' you are. Doctors charts generalize way too much. Hope this helps :)

And honestly, your doctor doesn't seem very helpful. If it was at all possible, I would switch doctors. (If I don't like someone, there is no way I would listen to them or even go to them for even a checkup)
  • chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    I agree about those BMI charts. Body Fat percentage numbers are more
    accurate my BFP should be around 33% + 145lbs ( I'm 5'4)
  • Aim0419
    Aim0419 Posts: 5
    Thank you very much for both of your replies! I appreciate it. :-)
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    I really don't think that a generalized index is ever going to do the whole job. It's certainly not the be all and end all of any kind of description of where I am fitness-wise.
    OK.... I'm not fit. I'm fat. But showing me my BMI on a chart isn't going to help me at all. In fact, it might just demoralize me.
  • Aim0419
    Aim0419 Posts: 5
    Yes, I agree! I do not think it helps at all! It is discouraging, especially when you know you are trying your best to lose weight and exercise.