I feel like my calorie allotment thingy is too low?

Options
matthej28
matthej28 Posts: 40 Member
When I started MPF, my calories were set at 1350, which was low (after eating like 2500 calories a day) but totally doable. Then I lost 10 lbs and now my goal is at 1280. Um, isn't 1200 calories the bare minimum that all humans are supposed to eat to maintain bodily functions? Why would MPF have me eat that low? And what's going to happen when I get closer to my goal weight? Should I just stick with eating 1280 or go over my calorie allotment a little everyday?

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Do you eat exercise calories? That will put you so you NET 1280 per day.

personally, I set my calories to my BMR and then eat exercise calories. mfp would have me eating 1200. I don't like that.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you're following MFP recommendations.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • matthej28
    Options
    I eat back some exercise calories. On a typical exercise day, I burn about 600-800 calories, so on those days I try to eat at least 1500 calories.
  • matthej28
    Options
    So should I only pay attention to my net calories?
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have my calories manually set to 1600,my BMR is 1560.I eat back my exercise calories in addition to the 1600 most days.My net calories ie (consumed-exercise) never falls below 1200 that way.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    1280 is definitely too low for me. I eat 1700-200 calories per day and get plenty of exercise and I'm losing =)
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    1280 is definitely too low for me. I eat 1700-200 calories per day and get plenty of exercise and I'm losing =)

That's very reassuring, thank you. =)
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    So should I only pay attention to my net calories?

Hi matthej28,

Follow the great advice above, especially Bobby_Clerici's suggestion for seeing how MFP works.

The main thing is this: track your food and exercise through the day...and then watch your "Calories Remaining" on your home page. You want to end the day as close to zero as you can.

Best wishes!
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are supposed to net 1280, you absolutely need to work out and eat back exercise calories. Otherwise, you will be very, very hungry.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    yeah log all your exercise and eat those back too! Today I'm at 1900 (yay dance burn) and i'm 500 short, I'll probably have a snack, but I try to stay within 200 of the goal they set. giving it a good honest try for two weeks then my measurements should tell me if it's working or not.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Check your settings. It sounds like you may have it set to lose 2 pounds a week, instead of 1.

But yea, working out will allow you to eat back your exercise calories, and that'll help.
  • matthej28
    Options
    Okay, I think I get it now!!!! Thanks guys!!! I love MPF, everyone is so helpful. I do have it set to lose 2lbs a week, and I just found out my BMR is 1719, so I will definitely have to go in and manually adjust it!!! And I will also be sure to eat back more (or all) of my exercise calories!!