Cottage cheese in a protein shake?

Options
So I usually have the same protein shake every morning -

25gm protein shake
1 cup almond milk
10gm ground flaxseed
100-150gm of a fruit (banana or berries usually)
and
150gm of yoghurt

I was just thinking to myself this morning that perhaps I should substitute the yoghurt for cottage cheese instead? seeing as cottage cheese is apparently so health beneficial?

I don't want to put greek yoghurt in it because the only greek yoghurt I find is almost double in calories (compared to this Yolplait 'For Me' low fat, low sugar yoghurt) >.<

If you think I should add anything, please let me know. :D

Replies

• splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    *posts to bump it back up to the top with hope that someone will see it and reply*!
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just found this on a website.. How does this compare to your yoghurt? Have you tried Cottage cheese?

A 100g serving (of Bulla Plain Cottage Cheese) has approximately 91 calories, 2.3 grams of fat, 6 grams of carbohydrates, and 11.3 grams of protein.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Ive done it, added peanut butter as well :)
  • splucy
    Options
    Just found this on a website.. How does this compare to your yoghurt? Have you tried Cottage cheese?

A 100g serving (of Bulla Plain Cottage Cheese) has approximately 91 calories, 2.3 grams of fat, 6 grams of carbohydrates, and 11.3 grams of protein.

I think I've tried cottage cheese... a long time ago though and I think I didn't mind the flavour and texture. My vanilla yoghurt is 58 calories for 150gm. Thanks for the suggestion of the Bulla brand, I will search for it today in my supermarket. I'll just try around 70gm of it to keep my calorie intake down to around the same. Looks like cottage cheese contains more protein than my yoghurt :) 100gm of Yoplait contains 5.3gm.
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    people use it in shakes to make it thicker..but i can taste the cottage cheese and it was chunky and i almost threw up. couldn't even drink another sip..ew.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Firstly American cottage cheese is different texture to Aussie stuff IMO. I normally just use coles/woolies stuff & I like it basically by itself but normally mix with sf pudding mix or something.

I've added it to shakes before and it turned out fine. But if you're just adding it because it's "healthY" then you don't really need to. It has slightly more protein than & less carbs than yoghurts but if you wanted that you could also just use a bit more protein powder and reduce the amount of yoghurt. Plenty of options.

chobani is rare but it has some of the best macros around for yoghurts. WOolies only I think.

I just make my own lite yoghurt (hansell) and use that in shakes also. Decent macros.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have cottage cheese, almond milk and frozen rasberries - like a berry cheesecake mmmmmmmm
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I use it now...it just blends really nicely and smooth! I use frozen banana, kiwi, strawberries and a a little bit of honey. I also add in 200ml of almond milk. I also put berries in somethimes.
  • splucy
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys! :) I bought some bulla cottage cheese today. Looking forward to trying it in my protein shake!