Skeptic before...believer now.

Options
cjh03
cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
So I don't know how many of you runners out there believe in the "right equipment" idea, but up until I did get the "right equipment" I was a skeptic. What is this "right equipment" you ask? Simply... it was RUNNING shoes.

In the past I have always been leery of these so called running shoes and have always went with cheaper tennis shoes because...well I guess I didn't know any better or was just being a tight-wad. Well early last week I decided to test this theory out and purchase some actual running shoes and see how they did. When I was at the store trying them on, I could instantly tell a difference from the normal tennis shoe. Much more support throughout the entire shoe and it make me walk with a more...bouncy?....movement. Feeling happy with my purchase, I took to the local park to try them out. Believe it or not...all conditions being the same minus the shoes...I was able to knock off 1:30 off my time. I was amazed at the difference!! Now it could be said that it was just having new shoes, but a couple of years ago when I was more into running, I purchased new shoes (tennis shoes of course) and I didn't see an immediate decline in my times as I did this go around.

Maybe it was more motivation or something that helped me cut the time, but either way, I'm happy with my purchase of the "right equipment". Anyone else have something like this happen to them before?

Edit: I must add too that I did some studying up on proper running technique and put some of these into practice...so in addition to the shoes, I'm sure that had a good deal to do with it.

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but do a whole lot of plyometrics and I agree that the right shoe makes ALL the difference and your feet and joints will love you for it! I'm still looking for the right cross trainer for plyo and weight lifting (like P90X) so please inbox me suggestions peeps!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Not a runner. I walk...a lot. Same with walking shoes. I just wore regular shoes for a long time. Then got a pair of real shoes for walking and I also felt more of the bouncy sensation. WHAT a difference the right shoes can make.

Count me as a believer now!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well, the biggest impact you should see is in (lack of) soreness and fatigue after the runs, between run sessions and in long term injuries prevention. Kinda hard to thank the shoes for all those things since they won't technically happen, but that's a huge part of why it's important to buy proper running shoes, and a pair that is actually fitted for you.

Well done on this purchase :) Now to make sure you take good care of them, make sure you don't do anything else than run in those shoes and try as much as you can to give them 24h rest between run sessions (most avid runners will have more than one pair that they rotate on daily basis, that's to allow cushioning to return to max protection for your legs).

Enjoy :)
  • Hotanuri
    Hotanuri Posts: 53
    Options
    same here. If I am just going out to the store or other "mom-like" errands, I wear sandals or crocs. But when I do my walks, I put my walking-tennis shoes on, and there is SUCH a difference in how my feet and knees feel.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes are an investment in your running future, and your joints. I waffled for a while before I bought my first pair, because I was in college at the time, and they were expensive. The running store I went to fitted me properly, and then let me run for a little bit on the treadmill in the store. So I sat there unable to part with my $, and the owner of the store came over and gave me a discount. Then, when I STILL wasn't sold, he kicked me out of the store and told me to go do a run in my current (very cool looking but not properly fitted) running shoes. The next day I ran 3 miles and fully felt all the differences between the good shoes and the ones I already had, and went immediately afterward back to the running store and bought the right shoes, which the owner had set aside for me. I became a very loyal customer forever!

Then, a year or so later I was running higher mileage and was ready to transition to a different shoe, so they fitted me again and I bought the shoes. 30 or so miles later, I knew that the new pair was wrong. I went back to the running store, and they took the loss and replaced the shoes for free for a different model- even though the pair I returned was unsellable with 30 miles of wear on them. Again- loyal customer for life!

So my moral is, even though the prices might be higher at a specialty running store, you can't beat the service of a good one.
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good to hear, you wont' regret it. Thinking into the future depending on how much you plan to run/train, the thing to watch is the mileage you put on them. That great feel they have now will slowly dissipate over each run you do and one day they'll just not feel the same. There's different schools of thought, but somewhere in the 400-500 mile range on your shoes, you should look at getting a new pair. Generally on the exterior, the shoes will still look good, except they're shot for running. If you run outside this effect is more obvious, but if you run indoors on a treadmill, you may find you can get a little more out of them.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Whats a good decent priced running shoe for women??
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    thankyou for this. I have always been cheap when it comes to my foot wear. But now ill actually spend some money on proper sneakers :happy: now to find out where to go for help finding them :laugh:
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a free pair of running shoes that only get stronger the more I use them. They are called my feet! Evolution has successfully designed our feet and leg muscles to be running machines. Most brand name shoes over support (minus minimalist shoes), make muscles weak and in turn make our bodies more prone to injury. Science and nature are your friend!

http://www.therunningfront.com/running-form/shoes-cause-injury/
    http://www.pmrjournal.org/article/S1934-1482(09)01367-7/fulltext
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the additional information everyone!! I'm really looking forward to getting into running again as I have been somewhat off and on throughout the past years. I'm certainly going to take care of these shoes as they have done wonders so far. In the future, no more being a tight-wad on my running shoe purchases!! :laugh:
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, guess I need to shell out some money for a good pair...
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I called and inquired about getting fitted for my running shoes. I'm currently wearing Nike but can't wait to be fitted and finally have a running shoe that fits me - not the other way around. The fitting is free and the cost of the shoes are between $100-$150 in my area. Can't wait!
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    SoundRunner in Branford or Madison - they will spend the time to fit you properly.
    If you need a buddy for support let me know.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Whats a good decent priced running shoe for women??

$100, sometimes more depending on where you live and the store. Maybe ask for a discount
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a free pair of running shoes that only get stronger the more I use them. They are called my feet! Evolution has successfully designed our feet and leg muscles to be running machines. Most brand name shoes over support (minus minimalist shoes), make muscles weak and in turn make our bodies more prone to injury. Science and nature are your friend!

So you would run barefoot outside? Hope you have a tetanus shot ready!

Edit: I can't spell today, its Monday.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

But for anyone that has worn shoes all their lives, it's running suicide to go from shod to unshod. Maybe I'll think about making the switch when you barefooters start beating me to the finish line. :wink: (tongue firmly planted in cheek).
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

But for anyone that has worn shoes all their lives, it's running suicide to go from shod to unshod. Maybe I'll think about making the switch when you barefooters start beating me to the finish line. :wink: (tongue firmly planted in cheek).

I agree that you can't just go straight to barefoot running after a lifetime of wearing shoes. If you're mostly barefoot throughout the day, you might be fine, otherwise you need to work up to it and probably run in minimalist shoes for a while first (they can offer protection without altering your natural gait).

On the other hand, our feet really are designed to support us, even while running. Good shoes can be great, but as they wear out the support structure changes and if they're not replaced soon enough they can damage your foot. Also, the support and padding can allow you to run comfortably in a way that will injure you and that barefoot running will not allow. I recently had to get a new pair of trail running shoes. The ones I was using still looked good, but the support structure was worn to the point that it was hurting my arches when I ran (or even just walking around in them). I got some new shoes and went out for a short run the next day. That night, I had the worst shin splints (a problem I haven't had in years). My theory is that the comfort of the new shoe allowed me to heel-strike without pain. I switched back to my Vibrams the next day, but it was a hill run and my shin pain was intense, especially on the downhill. It still hurt the next day when I went for a 6-mile run on the level with my Vibrams and the pain was gone by the end of that run and hasn't come back. I'm still wearing the new shoes for my trail runs (too rooty and rocky for barefoot); I just have to pay very close attention to my form.

Also, I think it's interesting to point out that most of the best distance runners in the world typically don't wear shoes until they get an endorsement deal. I've watched a fair number of foot races in Kenya and hardly ever saw shoes on those athletes. In my last race I wore shoes (so I could go faster) but I did get beat by a number of guys in Vibrams.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i learned the hard way, too! i now have one pair for running, and one pair for everything else! :)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I was never a runner, but when I was a supervisor on a 400 foot long manufacturing floor, that's the only shoe I could wear and not go home with barking dogs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I agree that you can't just go straight to barefoot running after a lifetime of wearing shoes. If you're mostly barefoot throughout the day, you might be fine, otherwise you need to work up to it and probably run in minimalist shoes for a while first (they can offer protection without altering your natural gait).

On the other hand, our feet really are designed to support us, even while running. Good shoes can be great, but as they wear out the support structure changes and if they're not replaced soon enough they can damage your foot. Also, the support and padding can allow you to run comfortably in a way that will injure you and that barefoot running will not allow. I recently had to get a new pair of trail running shoes. The ones I was using still looked good, but the support structure was worn to the point that it was hurting my arches when I ran (or even just walking around in them). I got some new shoes and went out for a short run the next day. That night, I had the worst shin splints (a problem I haven't had in years). My theory is that the comfort of the new shoe allowed me to heel-strike without pain. I switched back to my Vibrams the next day, but it was a hill run and my shin pain was intense, especially on the downhill. It still hurt the next day when I went for a 6-mile run on the level with my Vibrams and the pain was gone by the end of that run and hasn't come back. I'm still wearing the new shoes for my trail runs (too rooty and rocky for barefoot); I just have to pay very close attention to my form.

Also, I think it's interesting to point out that most of the best distance runners in the world typically don't wear shoes until they get an endorsement deal. I've watched a fair number of foot races in Kenya and hardly ever saw shoes on those athletes. In my last race I wore shoes (so I could go faster) but I did get beat by a number of guys in Vibrams.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. I just don't believe that going barefoot is the end all, be all for all runners. I also don't believe that shoes are inherently evil. You can run pain and injury free in shoes as well as without. Barefoot has it's place for all runners, I just don't think it's necessary for everyone to work to the point where they can run barefoot all the time. I do barefoot strides from time to time and a nice barefoot cool down run on grass. This reinforces the proper foot strike for me. I guess I'm fortunate that my mechanics have always been pretty good, so I haven't had to break any bad habits.

You anecdote about the Kenyan runners is a great illustration for both our points. Barefoot running is efficient and the way we are designed to run, but unless you have been doing it all your life, it takes work to get there.