45 minute 5k

Options
I have been "jogging" 3.1 miles on the treadmill about 3 times a week for a few weeks now. It usually takes me 45 minutes to complete (I count my warm up/cool down). I will be "running" a 5k in October and I'm worried I will still be at 45 minutes. I know that it's better to take a long time than to not do it at all, but I don't want them to be packing up while I'm still finishing the race. Is that irrational or should I wait until I have a better time to sign up?
Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I say sign up! Your time will improve, and even if you're still at 45 minutes - no shame, and I doubt you'll be last, and they certainly won't be packing things up!

The only recommendation I have for ya is try and do some running outside between now and then - everyone says there's a big difference between running on a treadmill and running outside (I've never been on a treadmill, so can't tell ya :tongue:), but you don't want your first outside running experience to be on race day.

I've found that registering for a race is great motivation to keep me running and pushing to improve all aspects of my running. Go for it!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is definitely easier than running outside. Increase your incline just a little bit to make it more challenging. And do take the advice of the previous poster -- get into the habit of running outside well before race day! I ran my first 5K in just under 43 minutes. I wasn't last! :)
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There will be plently of people that finish after you. They will not be packing up or laughing waiting for you even. People at races are very supportitive wither you are the first but especially if you are the last! I felt the same way before my first race which was a huge one (iron girl) I finished in 45 mins and there were thousands behind me my second race i finished at 45 and even though it was only a race of 200 people there were still about 20 people behind me so have no worries ok just have fun!
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    yes, my advice is the same as the above posters!
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Dude it took me 49 mins to run my first 5k so sign up!!!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i just ran my first 5k (the warrior dash) yesterday. i ran it in 37min 56sec. i had never ran outstide before race day which i probably wouldnt recommened. it is quite a bit different so i would practice running outside but i would definetly sign up now. because it is a race and everyone is "competiing" it makes you keep going and push yourself. good luck
  • 911Megz
    911Megz Posts: 42
    Options
    Most 5k's are a walk / run option . So they won't be packing up if you finish in 45 mins. my first 5k was 42 mins. And october is still a ways a way! Start speed training once a week.
    Do some HIIT training on the treadmill.
    http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhiit.htm

Hope this helps!
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well I walked my first 5K today and it took 51 minutes which is 3.66mph. I usually do 3.5mph on the treadmill but really pushed it to walk as fast as possible. I started out a few months ago doing just 2.5mph.

I agree that's it's best to try train a bit outside before race day. Today was rough since I wasn't used to anything but leisurely walking outside especially since it was hot and the terrain changed and the footing wasn't always smooth. A lot different than the treadmill, elliptical and recumbent.

I would definitely do it. i don't really think the time matters at all. What counts is that you challenged yourself to do it. You'll set your next goal to better your time.
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sign up and you will have that as something to look forward to. You won't regret it, as everyone said, everyone is supportive. I did my first one in 38 min, had never even ran a mile at one time, lol. I have another o e I'm signing up for in August. I hope to improve my time, but if I dont? Who cares? I'm doing this for me :-D
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My advice is to come here next Saturday and run the 5K I've just signed up for - that way you're certain to not finish dead last.

I've done C25K but then slacked off. At my peak I ran 2.1 miles once, and that took me 40 minutes. I'm sure I'll end up walking more of it then running.......BUT......I will be trying and I will be able to say I completed a 5K race. That in itself is a huge accomplishment for anyone in my mind.

I live in a suburban neighborhood and two local 5K races pass by my house each year. I work at home and it's so fun to sit at my desk and watch the first group go by - running about a million miles an hour. Then another group comes through running what looks to be an average pace. The third group is all people slugging along slow enough that some people would likely walk faster than their running. Fourth group is the folks who have to walk for intervals. Finally, there are people just out their having a good old time chatting with their friends and barely trying to walk quickly.

Given all of that, I'm sure I can at least be a person at the race having a good time! Keep on running until October, and you'll likely be faster. More importantly, you'll have become healthier, succeeded in running a 5K, and will likely feel like a million bucks! See you at the finish line <in a another 15 minutes or so> :bigsmile:
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't stress yourself out over it. I say definitely sign up for it! I was freaking out up to my first 5k last November. Partly because I thought I'd have a really bad run time and second because I was freaking out about how to dress. lol. Leading up to the race, I was jogging on a treadmill at least 3 times a week for 45 minutes and wasn't even reaching the 3.1 miles. But, surprisingly, I actually finished the race at 43:07! It's so much better running when you have people around you. I was using everyone as my measuring tools. Like picking out someone that's 5 people ahead of me and trying to keep up with or even bypass them. Just seeing all those people keep on with their running/jogging at every shape and size really motivated me to keep my feet moving. At one point, I couldn't even stop my legs to walk. I may not have been the fastest in the race, but I was certainly proud of myself for pushing through it! May you have a wonderful race!! =D
  • vitahill
    vitahill Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know it's irrational, I just have these flashbacks of gym class and always coming in last. Once it cools down a little (and I'm less anxious about jogging in front of others) I'll bring it outside to get ready. I'll try upping the incline a little on the treadmill in the meantime. Looking forward to my second 5k :wink:
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first 5K yesterday ( Saturday) and i finished in 41 minutes. There were people who finished in over 1 hour. Sign up you will have a blast!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have been "jogging" 3.1 miles on the treadmill about 3 times a week for a few weeks now. It usually takes me 45 minutes to complete (I count my warm up/cool down). I will be "running" a 5k in October and I'm worried I will still be at 45 minutes. I know that it's better to take a long time than to not do it at all, but I don't want them to be packing up while I'm still finishing the race. Is that irrational or should I wait until I have a better time to sign up?
    Thanks!

You will do it faster than 45 minutes because in your training you say you count your warm up/warm down - well within the race you won't be warming up and warming down - that will be done before/afterwards, therefore you will be jogging the whole lot and so will have a faster time.

Regarding them packing up whilst you are finishing, that is highly unlikely to happen because they would wait until the final person crosses the line before doing such a thing plus there are more people that complete their 5k races in similar time such as yourself than you realize.

Have a great race and enjoy it, do NOT wait until you have a "better time" - there is no better time than now :oD
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I did my First 5K on July 4th I did it in 36 min. so now I have a goal to beat, my next one is July 28th.

Go for it dude, what ever your time is, use it as a bench mark to improve the next one, remember don't expect to be a super star, just go at what pace is good for you, I even stopped and walked for a bit to get my breath, just do your best and look to improve each race.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You can train yourself to run faster by running DOWNHILL not up hill. A lot of people think that because its harder it will make you faster, its not the case

Mix your training up a little bit.
    Go outside for a start. The ground outside doesn;t move under your feet. Doing 5k outside and 5k are a threadmill are totally different, WIND< RAIN, uneven surfaces

To increase your running times, run downhill at angles of roughly 15degrees and try lenghtening your stride as you do it.

Also do some interval running. So run 200 metres as fast as you can, then slow right down for a minute, then run 200metres as fast as you can, slow down for a minute, do that about 8 times, once a week. Have warmed up first.

But never mind worrying, sure the atmosphere is amazing at these things, you will LOVE IT
  • danblood
    danblood Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At events like this you go to the start line and there are usually people holding signs up for certain expected finish times; you need to stand by the sign that reflects what you manage in practice.. You'll then end up running with people of a similar ability, but you'll probably find yourself running faster than usual because you've got them to pace yourself against, and it's a great feeling to run with hundreds of people.

Make realistic targets - you'll feel far better crossing the finish line having run the entire distance, than if you try to push your pace and have to walk some of it.. I made this mistake with my first 10K
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Do it! You won't be the last by a long shot. Plus, I always run a little faster on race day than I do in training. Maybe you will, too! Don't wait to do that 5k. You are ready now. This time, focus on finishing. Next time, work on racing against your previous time. :flowerforyou:
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

sign up sign up sign up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my first took me 48 min, my best so far is 39 min extend your distance gradually say up to about 8k and the week before the race do a 8k and then a short easy run midweek and then rest
    I can promise you the euphoria that you feel at the end of the race will be amazing

The time will get better as you go along

Happy running
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Do it, sign up - You will find running with others will speed you up without you realising it and running outside and with real people is soooooo much nicer than the treadmill