help

Options
Every day I go over by 50 to 500 cals on 1200 cal goal and sometimes I'm under. Is it ever acceptable to be over or under and if so, by how much? Thanks

Replies

• Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just reduced my calories to 1350 a day. I figure I might go over every once in a while but other days i might be under. It will all balance out. I think I will be going over today because I am hungry and a bowl of cereal sounds really good right now.

eta: I wouldnt go much under 1200 very often.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can do what you want. If you think you won't stick to a lower calorie diet then move it up a couple hundred calories. The main thing is to be able to sustain for as long as you need to. Then adjust and re-evaluate when needed.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If 1200 is your goal, though I still will always question a number that low (will ignore yelling back at me) why not start easing down? ... set it for 1600 ... get in the habit of making that a hard line goal? Then a few weeks later, back it down to 1500, then 1400 ... just a thought ... it's a lifestyle change ... you want to stick with it long term, so if this is a marathon, no rush ...

Just my thoughts ...
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Do what feels right for your body. If you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. If you're hungry, eat. Listen to your body :)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agreed ...

(Unless your body tells you to eat pizza rolls ... daily ... that would be bad ... I think ... they are awfully yummy ... hmm ... my body is telling me that right now ... I think that's bad Matt though ... I'll skip that particular voice)

:)

Do what feels right for your body. If you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. If you're hungry, eat. Listen to your body :)
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    The system has already adjusted your goal calories to include weight loss. If you eat more than it "tells you to," then your loss may not be as quick as you would like. I go over at least twice every week and have still managed to lose. I never go under as 1200 is the lowest an adult body needs to sustain a healthy body( I go looking for a snack that will put me at 1200 or more). But I'm assuming that you are making good food choices, so your body should be able to withstand a few "oopsies" along the way.

Do you work out? If so, the calories you burn can be used to cover the ones you've gone over. Try averaging out a week's calories to see if you are still in the ball park. Add all the calories you've eaten and subtract from the 8400 you have for the week. Then do the same with your exercise calories.

Good luck in your endeavors!
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't make yourself crazy! You can never TRULY know your calories anyways. Not every apple has the same composition, not every piece of meat has the same fat ounce for ounce. Even the labels on food are subject to rounding rules. Your goal should be a range somewhere between your BMR and your total calories burned and you'll be fine.
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't know your weight or goals, but I'd say that if you are going over more often than not, then you probably have your calories set too low. If you go over because you are actually really hungry, then you very likely are set too low. You aren't going to do well or stick with your plan, if you're always hungry. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's ok to sometimes be a little over or little under because it all balances out. Add up your calories for the week and figure out the average - if you're at your goal, you're ok. Personally, I'm set at 1270 w/50% carb, 30% protein & 20% fat. It's on the low side ('cuz I'm not much into exercising) but I'm honestly not hungry by the end of the day. Most days, I end up just short of 1270 but once or twice a week I'm a little over - right now, it's working for me. Everyone is different - find what works for you while incorporating good health information & diet tips.