15lbs in 50 days!! And here's my secret...

Options
...stop making excuses, start listening to your body & take it one day at a time! That's it, really.

I've tried to lose weight unsuccessfully in the past before but never lasted longer than a month. I would set my goal to lose 2lbs a week, which had me eating around 1,350 cals a day. Well I certainly didn't become morbidly obese eating that little calories a day. So it was a drastic change. I would lose a lot of weight, then I would give up because that goal didn't allow me to eat any of the foods I used to eat. I struggle with cravings, so it was really hard.

So after about seven unsuccessful attempts, I decided to give it one more go this May. I had reached my heighest weight ever, at 257lbs, 5'6. I decided to take pics of myself (you can see them on my profile) & it was an eyeopener. I was having difficulty walking for a long time, and my body ached of pain from being overweight. So I found myself back at MFP again trying to lose weight.

Well, first thing I did was added a group of amazing friends. The support system has been key for me. Then I decided I would take it slow. I set my goal to lose 1lb a week which had me at about 1,900 calories. I decided I wouldn't track my exercise calories, since I wasn't exercising much anyway. I found myself overeating, but I also was able to stay within my goal on many days. I had strong cravings in the beginnning, but I knew the only way to get through it was to not give in. As the days went by, my cravings got less and less. I no longer needed Dunkin' Donuts or Five Guys everyday. And if I went to those places, I would make smarter choices, like ordering a cheeseburger without the bun, which by the way, doesn't taste as good. Well this was great, because it even further lessened my cravings.

You want to know something interesting about me:

1. I don't cook
2. I eat fast food alot
3. I don't own a gym membership

So how did I lose 15lbs!? Well, seriously I've just been folloing MFP's method of calories in/calories out. Because I don't cook, I buy fruits, bagels, microwave meals, chips, etc. But, I'm buying the lower calorie options and when it comes to chips I buy the prepackaged bags, that are like 100 calories. I eat Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Kraft Mac & Cheese. When I go out to eat, I try to make smarter choices like getting water, or planning ahead. I try to avoid restaurants without nutritional information available. And I do allow myself major cheat days. I've gone over by tons of calories, and somehow my body appreciates it.

For exercise, I haven't even set foot in a gym in these 50 days. I started off with walking. I also bought The Biggest Loser for Xbox Kinect. The first couple weeks were hard. I was so out of shape, I couldn't do 5 jumping jacks. Now I can do 25 and so much more. My endurance, strength & flexibility have all increased, solely from playing a video game (and my effort, of course.)

The thing is, there will never be an ideal time to lose weight. But the longer you put it off, the harder it gets. It is easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you're like me & have a lot of weight to lose. You must take this journey one day at a time. Practice consistency & moderation. Be honest with yourself, and track everything that goes in your mouth. Start slow, and work toward more ambitious goals. If you are a binge eater or love fast food, allow that to fit into your plan. Over time, you will realize it is so much better to cut down & make healthier choices. I went from drinkin 0 cups of water a day, to some days drinking over 8 cups. I can go on forever & ever, but I won't.

Your journey is your own. Try to find as much knowledge & information out there, and just be good to your body. I promise it will appreciate you :) Be kind to youself!

Replies

• sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It sounds like you've found something great that works for you :):flowerforyou:
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You're doing great. Keep in mind that it's working for you now, while you're 23 years old. When you get past 30, you'll likely have to nix the processed foods and do more exercise to get the same results you get now. Keep it up and get it done while you're young!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think the secret to losing weight really fast is to be a) young and b) have a high starting weight. I'm finding that now that I'm older, it's is much, much harder than it was even 10 years ago.

This is not at all to dis the extraordinary accomplishment of anyone who has been able to achieve a great start. Congratulations to all of you!
  • ashleypage__
    Options
    Yes being young & fat does help you lose a lot of weight intially. And I do completly understand I will have to learn to cook & eat way more healthier. My point was that anyone can start today even if their circumstances aren't ideal. I could have sat around and said there's no way I can lose weight w/o cooking or by eating fast food. And you can :)
  • amelialosesit
    amelialosesit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow good job so far! I'm still in the stage of craving fast food and chips and such, but there will be a time when I no longer crave those if I keep with it. :D
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    And I totally agree. I am not giving up, even though I'm losing at a rate of about one-half pound a week. Those weeks are going to go by anyway; I might as well be nourishing myself with healthy food and exercising. Oh, and not obsessing about the numbers.
  • BreeH06
    BreeH06 Posts: 7
    Options
    Wow, this is amazing! This encouraged me so very much! Keep up the good work!
  • msalmaj
    msalmaj Posts: 21
    Options
    Good for you! It's all about making the little changes and so far you're doing a fantastic job. :bigsmile:
  • ashleypage__
    Options
    Thank you all :) I would not be successful without MFP & without changing my mindset toward my weight loss journey. Sure it's one of the hardest things I've ever attempted, but it's so much harder being morbidly obese.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!