Omega Supplements - Fish Oil AND Flaxseed OK?!

Options
HeidiYogi
HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
I've been taking GNC's Triple Strength Fish Oil which has 900mg total of omega-3 fatty acids and really love it. NO upset stomach, no fishy taste because they are enteric coated. Very happy with them. I recently purchased Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal which In a 2tbsp serving gives you 2,400Mg of omega 3. I think I remember reading somewhere that these are two different types/sources of omegas but am wondering if it's okay to take both at the same time or is that too much?? Appreciate your knowledge on this one. Thanks!

Replies

• PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    I dont think you can have an "over dose" on Omega 3 lol if so, I would have overdosed a few weeks ago.. I take 3 Omega 3-6-9 gels in the morning/evening plus my multivitamin which has Omega 3-6 lol
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    my physician has me on 4000 mg of omege-3 a day. You can always ask your doctor. They don't charge for phone calls...yet.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    From what I can understand the idea is to have your ratio of Omega three and sixes at a 1:1 ratio to reduce inflammation in the body, so if you have 3g of omega 3 in fish oils aim to have 3g of omega 6 in the form of flaxseed
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    my physician has me on 4000 mg of omege-3 a day. You can always ask your doctor. They don't charge for phone calls...yet.

LOL! You're right. I should ask my doctor. Thanks for that reminder. :smile:

Thanks for sharing your info though! Very much appreciated!
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What? You can call your doctor???? Not here in our town, they charge for everything and won't speak to you over the phone, we have to make an appointment and medicre does not cover the cost of a quick appointment either!!!
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    From what I can understand the idea is to have your ratio of Omega three and sixes at a 1:1 ratio to reduce inflammation in the body, so if you have 3g of omega 3 in fish oils aim to have 3g of omega 6 in the form of flaxseed

Thanks, Jess! I'll have to look into that. I was just googling and it said that it should be 1:2 ratio somewhere else. Guess I need to either consult a physician or do more research. Also, does that mean that they are two different types of omegas? I thought flaxseed meal was also omega 3 but again, not 100% and I don't think the packaging said so. Just checked and it does say it is an omega 3. What is the omega 6 you are talking about? Thanks!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've been taking GNC's Triple Strength Fish Oil which has 900mg total of omega-3 fatty acids and really love it. NO upset stomach, no fishy taste because they are enteric coated. Very happy with them. I recently purchased Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal which In a 2tbsp serving gives you 2,400Mg of omega 3. I think I remember reading somewhere that these are two different types/sources of omegas but am wondering if it's okay to take both at the same time or is that too much?? Appreciate your knowledge on this one. Thanks!

As another member posted, there are omega 3s, 6s, and 9s, and you probably want to look into getting them all in. As far as the dosages, I may be able to help you put it into perspective. The first thing to remember, is that 1,000mg=1g. One gram of any kind of fat is really not much at all. The second thing is if you look at your fat "allowance," just under half of that is for saturated fat. That part is meant to be an upper limit, but saturated fat isn't something our bodies require. Most ideally, you want to get as much of your fats as possible in the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated varieties.

I take a fish oil supplement with omega 3,6 and 9 that I get at Costco. It's not actually in pills, but a thick liquid, and it seriously tastes AMAZING. It's called Omega Blendz, and the flavor at my Costco is lemon meringue. You could take it straight, or add it to greek yogurt, or even pour it over ice cream. I love this stuff, and it isn't followed by any fishy burps either.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi again,

I'm not an expert on omegas by any means just that I assumed the ratios should be similar. I done a quick google search to find sources of:

Omega 3
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

Omega 6
    http://jmyarlott.com/omega6s/
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    Thank you MFP friends!! I will look into both of these! The Omega Blendz from Costco, what section will I find that in? A friend told me about it as well but I couldn't find it. Thanks!!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thank you MFP friends!! I will look into both of these! The Omega Blendz from Costco, what section will I find that in? A friend told me about it as well but I couldn't find it. Thanks!!

I found it in the supplements section. If you don't see it, I'd ask them if they carry it.
  • HeidiYogi
    Options
    Awesome - thanks, @Athena! I'll look next time I'm there! :smile: