How do I stop eating out?

Options
I eat out everyday,does anybody else? Anyhow I really don't like my moms cooking I'm still a teenager but I suck at cooking as well heck I can't even cook fry a egg right (many failed attemts later I realized I just simply can't cook) my eggs are either under cooked or over cooked.

Anyhow what can I do?

Replies

• melissachipman123
    Options
    Sorry honey this site is for adults not teenagers. But just don't do it or make healthy choices, or learn to cook.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    your a teenager.. and you eat out daily... so it must be like taco bell and cheap stuff??... theres options (especially now) more items that are healthy..(at most fast food) salads..chicken sandwich/wheat bun.... u dont like any of your moms food? that sucks.. LOL.. hmm you could go to the store instead (with the $$ you normally spend daily.. like tally it up.. over a wk.. and hit up the regular store (or even 99 only store if you have one.. and there produce/veggies are really cheap there)
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Start simple - frying an egg is actually not easy! Scramble them instead - you can't mess that up! And you can easily make sandwiches, salads, baked chicken, cut up fresh fruits and veggies, cook quesadillas or pasta with tomato sauce. Why not just resolve to only eat breakfast and lunch and snacks at home? You'll save money and calories. There are lots of simple recipes online, but most of the stuff I listed you don't even need a recipe to make.
  • mistica2010
    Options
    My teenage daughter introduced me to this website, unfortunately I work and are out all day and not able to cook for my family as much as I wish, she was in the same situation you are not in, I bought her eating clean cookbooks and subscribed to eating clean magazine, she has learned how to cook, and keep amazing us with delicious healthy meals, she is now on summer break and in charge of the kitchen :), she also uses her online resources, there is a lot of information online that you can use to accomplish your cooking ventures, good luck, remember cooking is fun :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I would suggest you start to learn how to cook for yourself - one day, you will need to cook for yourself anyway, so its best to learn while your young! Especially learning how to cook good healthy foods and meals.

It would make it even more of a challenge to learn to cook healthy foods with the products your mom has in the house.
  • hema_latha7
    Options
    Why don't you learn some cooking ?:smile:
  • Leah789
    Leah789 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey There , r.
    I hated my parent's cooking too when I was a teenager. So I started cooking myself. You say you are a bad cook, but keep practicing, its a learned skill.

Easy thing to do, is steam vegetables. You can either put one inch of water in a pan and add vegetables, cover with lid and cook on med heat for 5-8 minutes. Check the vegetables, you should be able to push a knife through them, but not let it overcook into mush. The other option is using a steamer basket, when you do the same thing, but put the metal basket between the water and the vegetables.

I also love to eat out. LOVE IT! Its always temping. Subway has some good low cal sandwiches and McD's/Wendy's/etc have low cal dressings for salads - eat that! I've found eating salad's take longer, so by the time your done with it, you can be full or close to it.

I'm not a weight loss success yet, but I relate in the eating out temptation. However, I've found that if I order foods that take longer to eat (many pieces of lettuce or vegtables, etc) often I'm satisfied and not sitting there waiting for my friend to finish her delicious looking burger.

Good for you, for recognizing your temptation and speaking up!
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ya gotta learn to cook for youeself in reasonable healthy ways... even frozen veggies and a grilled chicken or fish will work wonders and is easy to fix... BUT you can eat out on a regular basis and still be healthy..

Search the thread around here, there are lists of foods people suggest for eating out / eating fast food... A couple of my favorites are below.. For reference, I eat out about 4-5 times a week and have been losing all year. (Yes, that is also the reason I needed to lose! its about what you order when you're there).

Chipotle - be picky about your order; chicken bowl, no rice or light rice, no sour cream or guac... can be made for 400 - 500 cals.
    Chick Fill-a - Southwest grill salad - no dressing or croutons; the salsa makes a great dressing and the whole meal is only 250
    Even a burger place can work - try Wendys, single burger, dont eat the bun and get a side salad instead of fries.
  • DarqueChocalitLover
    Options
    Sorry honey this site is for adults not teenagers. But just don't do it or make healthy choices, or learn to cook.

UHMMMM>>>>>>>>>> WRONG ANSWER

To the O.P.

Take it from a truck driver who has to eat out all the time, you can chose healthy food and not have to eat fast food all the time. There are a lot of healthy choices at EVERY fast food facility including Dairy Queen. Choose a salad if you have to. I usually do.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i used to eat out every single meal.

what helped me was getting a bunch of cookbooks especially those with recipes for things i ordered in. i ended up getting several indian, thai and vietnamese cookbooks.

then i worked meal by meal and started replacing take out with homemade stuff. easiest was breakfast since i love eggs so i could just make a crustless quiche and split it into several servings.

then just tart picking and choosing recipes in your cookbooks that you want to try making. a lot of the time it's disgusting, but i also make sure to buy things i know i can't mess up. oh yeah get a crockpot, these are so easy!

and yeah, this isnt an age related issue. i'm 40 and just now starting to cook for myself. for my entire adult life i ate out. the last apartment i lived in for 5 years and a stove i never used (the pilot light was never even turned on).

OP I see you're in brooklyn(STAND UP!) I just moved from there. and NYC/brooklyn is so easy for falling into take out traps. it's so easy to get delicious and cheap food and any hour of the day and it's almost easier
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's been said, but the answer is to learn to cook yourself. Me and my friends don't like the board program at college sometimes, so we make our own, and it's a useful skill to have once you are on your own. If one recipe/food isn't working, try a different one. My friend used to burn eggs all the time, but she's gotten better and learned a few more recipes now that she's trying. And I agree that frying an egg isn't always easy (I've been told the frying pan has a lot to do with how well it works)

Look for easier cookbooks. There are a lot out there meant for people learning to cook. I like the "A man, a can, a plan" cookbook because it has simple recipes and canned food keeps well if you're not cooking everyday. But just go, flip through a few cookbooks at a store/library and see if any of them has instructions you think you can follow.
  • melissachipman123
    Options
    I was not trying to be rude this appears to be a very sensitive group tonight an I am sorry if what I said was taken the wrong way. The reason this site is not for teenagers is because they need such different things then adults. Here is a link to a teenager version of Mfp http://www.sparkteens.com/ designed for what your growing body needs and filled with peers of your age group.

Once again sorry if I offended anyone.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "BY USING THE WEBSITE OR SERVICES, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AND ARE OTHERWISE LEGALLY QUALIFIED TO ENTER INTO AND FORM CONTRACTS UNDER APPLICABLE LAW"

19 is still teen :-)