EAT EAT EAT - Help !

Options
I am a teenage boy, and I am way overweight!
I have been overweight now, for about 5 years. I EAT EAT EAT. I just don't stop ! I eat when I am board, upset, watching TV, movies, stressed... I just can't stop !
I am sick of eating all this food and I know its not good for me... and I am now getting worried because I am getting stretch marks and all these creases in my skin :(

I don't know how to stop and I need some help :) FAST !

What could I do to help myself ?

Replies

• jlanderson01
    jlanderson01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You need to start eating healthy and right. You need to start exercising and going outside. Find something you enjoy doing. But most of all you should go see your Dr. and get a physical and make sure that there isn't something causing the weight gain. I wish you the best of luck
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    She's right- it's always good to consult with a doctor. It's great you are looking to do something right now rather than waiting until you are older and it's harder. Can you join a local kickball team or create some outdoor sport that's fun to do with your friends? That way you don't have time to think about eating? Weight/diet/eating/etc. is such a difficult thing to get in control, good luck- we are all here for help!
  • deriwall
    deriwall Posts: 5
    Options
    I saw my doctor last month and he brought it up... he just said to get active and do some exercise, its not good to be my age and the weight I am. I could walk next door's Dog some days after school, maybe go for a bike ride once in a while. I am going to go back to the gym in the start of november when my exams are over :) And also in November I am planning to get a Job, so that will keep my busy :) I guess a lot of it is just mentally having to push yourself not to eat !

I need to make a list of things I can eat and a list of things I cant. Hang it up somewhere I will see it every day! That may help too.

So when I am stressed or board and I wan't to eat.. what is somthing else I can do instead?
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Find an activity to do besides eating, like taking a walk through your neighborhood, help your mom and dad (I only assume you are still living at home since you are a teenager) out with chores around the house. Go grocery shopping with your parents and help pick out healthier choices to snack on. Buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Clean and cut up the veggies so they are readily available to munch on rather than junk food. And, keep visiting MFP for support and help. Someone is always available here to answer any questions you might have about healthier choices in your life. Good luck and remember, YOU CAN DO THIS :wink:
  • deriwall
    Options
    THANKS A LOT :) I will keep this in mind.
  • rachelblair09
    Options
    just try to change your lifestyle! eat less crap and more of the good stuff and exercise more :) it aint easy but its worth it :)
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    We are all on here for the same reason!!!! You are not alone.....Just remember that you want to help yourself.....
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? Need to work out how many calories you should be eating.

walking the neighbour's dog and bike riding good idea. Also just walking, maybe jogging/running. You could also do sprints. Can you do push-ups - practice doing those, planks, pull-ups, chin-ups. Do you have access to any weights?
  • deriwall
    Options
    I can do a few push ups ... and no I don't have access to weights, until I have finished my exams and can go back to the gym.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm totally guilty of eating when I'm bored (usually while in front of the TV), so when I get the urge, I know I have to do something else. Take a walk, read, something. MFP has really opened my eyes to what I've been eating (junk!) since joining.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Log on to MFP everyday. I lost 48lbs using this site then quit logging in so I reset my ticker to reflect the current loss of 3 lbs. This is a great site. I think of it like facebook for weightloss. You can do this. My son was overweight and started slowly eating salads and cutting out soda, he lost over 100 lbs and is still at a good weight today. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You said you are a teenage boy. If you are under 18, the first place to go is to speak with your parents concerning this. You can change your life. This is the best time in life to make good changes. Right now, you are in a prime time to deal with it because it is important to YOU. But if you are under 18, you really need to include your parents in it. Tell them your concerns and ask for their help -- I am sure they will be willing to help. If you are over 18 and on your own then the talking to your doctor about it is the best first step. But do it now. Best wishes on your journey.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of the same problems as you. I think the best thing for you to do is to fill your time with other activities which won't allow you to eat. It does not necessarily have to be doing exercises, even though that would be desireable. I once lost a lot of weight simply because I was working 3 jobs and didn't eat for fun.
  • yesi911
    yesi911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love to eat too but I have learned how to eat a lot of the proper foods. First of all, does your family support you? Support at home is extremely important. For example, my hubby supports me in the sense that he let's me choose the week's menu and prepare it however the heck I want as long as it's good. He however sabotages my weak will by bringing these lemon cookies and other pastries he loves to have with milk. He also brings soda but I can care less about it since I am long over soda...I love water so any sugary drink does no longer do it for me, yuck!

I would suggest you begin by substituting your snacks. I promise you'll get use to it. Some suggestions I love are:
    100 calorie light pop corn bags
    Plain greek yogurt with fruit and maybe sweetened a lil bit
    Cucumber chips with salsa
    Trail mix
    Homemade frozen pops
    Oatmeal

Those are some suggestions but most importantly log your food and little by little you'll know what's good for your and what's not. Give it a try, commit to it and in little time you'll be into it.
  • Byemma
    Byemma Posts: 55
    Options
    I used to eat all the time too. I'm an emotion eater, so I ate whenever I was very happy/mad/sad/enthousiastic. Hell, I ate all the time! I love(d) chips, cookies and chocolate. Sometimes I think I'm craving chips or cookies, but no. I'm just craving to eat something that makes noise (I know, it's weird, haha). So, I started to snack on cucumber. They make a little noise too and they have very little calories. I bet I could eat them all day. I don't like carrots, but those would do very well too. Try to think of cravings like that. You're not craving icecream, you're craving something cold (a glass of refrigerated water) or soft (applesauce, maybe homemade? A banana?).
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options

So when I am stressed or board and I wan't to eat.. what is somthing else I can do instead?

When my son (who completed his first year in college) gets stressed he goes and works out. Instead of gaining the freshman 15, he actually lost weight and is more toned/muscular than he was a year ago.

He had a friend from high school that was overweight much of his life who also lost a lot of weight just by beginning to walk and eat right.

Maybe ask a friend to workout with you - you can start by walking or biking and work up to running. Also, get rid of junk food (chips, candy, cookies and especially soda) and stock up on healthy snacks (fruits and veges). That way, if you are tempted to eat, you are eating the good stuff.

Good luck and great job.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!