Has anyone seen the documentary "Fat Head"?

Options
2»

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I watched it. Not only did he watch his carbs, he COUNTED calories. I don't remember his calorie intake for the day, but he was very specific about that.

Which I feel was more important to his weight loss than the carbs.

Did you miss the part at the end where he said "according to the calories in/calories out theory I should've only lost 7.5 pounds" ?

you no like carbs? Is there a reason?
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I watched it. Not only did he watch his carbs, he COUNTED calories. I don't remember his calorie intake for the day, but he was very specific about that.

Did you miss the part at the end where he said "according to the calories in/calories out theory I should've only lost 7.5 pounds" ?

+1

That is all well and good in theory. So, go and eat McDonalds every day . It has been a while since I saw the documentary, but I don't recall him eating back his exercise calories. Which probably accounted for the additional weight loss.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

What's to say he wasn't upping his activity level? The man has an agenda to push and if he can skewer the results by taking the stairs instead of the lift (off camera) or adding other incidental effort to his day, then of course there'll be more weight loss. There's no money to be made if he reduces his calories and loses the expected amount of weight... but if he doctors it by technically staying within the diet, there's a mint to be made from the ill-educated low carb crowd.

If I had any less self-respect I'd be jumping on that bandwagon too. Mmmm, nothing says success like filming myself eating a whole bunch of McMeat.
  • miss_greene89
    Options
    You can lose weight eating 1 wheat thin a day too doesnt mean you will be healthy.... There is lots of ways to lose weight, and even though this movie may be informitive and maybe some people think its funny, thats all awesome, but it shouldnt make people think it would be fine to eat GARBAGE and lose weight that way thats just evil... its a big enough f*cking problem as is
  • miss_greene89
    Options
    I actually DID lose like 30 LBS this way a few years ago, i ate kraft dinner and hot dogs.... I was very unhealthy and pale. I eat awesome now and feel amazing, and am still loseing weight just as fast... (I lost a bunch a long time ago then gained like 10 lbs back and now i am getting rid of that..4 more to go)
  • pg3ibew
    Options

What's to say he wasn't upping his activity level? The man has an agenda to push and if he can skewer the results by taking the stairs instead of the lift (off camera) or adding other incidental effort to his day, then of course there'll be more weight loss. There's no money to be made if he reduces his calories and loses the expected amount of weight... but if he doctors it by technically staying within the diet, there's a mint to be made from the ill-educated low carb crowd.

If I had any less self-respect I'd be jumping on that bandwagon too. Mmmm, nothing says success like filming myself eating a whole bunch of McMeat.

He WALKED 6 mights per week. But I guess no one wants to factor in EXERCISE as attributing to his weight loss. He aso LIMITED his caloric intake to under 2000 per day.

So, all of the LO-Carbers or other VOODOOO Dieters could turn this any way they want. Bottom line is, he kept his calories down and exercised.

Educate yourselves people. Don't just take a snipit of info and try to turn it into Gospel. Read. RE-READ, Comprehend.
  • raiseyourgame
    Options
    He WALKED 6 mights per week. But I guess no one wants to factor in EXERCISE as attributing to his weight loss. He aso LIMITED his caloric intake to under 2000 per day.

So, all of the LO-Carbers or other VOODOOO Dieters could turn this any way they want. Bottom line is, he kept his calories down and exercised.

Educate yourselves people. Don't just take a snipit of info and try to turn it into Gospel. Read. RE-READ, Comprehend.

Nobody turned it into a gospel.. I realize that there are many ways to lose weight, and he DID say that his 28 day diet was not healthy. Thats why he only did it for a short period of time. I think he makes some good points, but like everything you have to take it with a grain of salt.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Not here to argue

I watched the movie and loved it

He brings up alot of truths about government food regulations and other info I never knew

He does a great job in his research and from what I understand did not make alot of money on this documentary
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Nobody turned it into a gospel.. I realize that there are many ways to lose weight, and he DID say that his 28 day diet was not healthy. Thats why he only did it for a short period of time. I think he makes some good points, but like everything you have to take it with a grain of salt.

My post was in response to the people disagreeing with calories In and out and the fact that he did indeed up his exercise. People were neglecting to mention those factors .
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I admired his rebuttal of "Super Size Me". That movie has a bunch of lies in it. Fast food is not the devil; one of his demons, maybe, but surely no devil. :devil:

On the other hand, I don't credit his weight loss due to low-carb dieting. Most low-carb diets go less than 100 grams of carbs a day, which is what he was eating. He also DOUBLED his exercise for the week (walking six days instead of three) and ate around 2,000 calories a day (less than he was eating before). By his math, oh, he magically lost more weight than calories in-calories out...but he wasn't accounting for exercise. Like Morgan Spurlock he skewed some things to fit his agenda. :laugh:

The problem with this "the government told us to eat low fat and now we are all obese!!!11!!" theory is that most overweight people didn't get fat eating a low-fat diet, or a low-calorie diet, or a low-carb diet. Most of us got here by eating too much in general--too much fat, too many calories, too many carbs, too often--and not one macronutrient is to blame.

Leave the demonizing to the demons...carbs are not the bane of the food groups, neither is fat. But you shouldn't be eating 300 grams of each per day, in general, unless you're working your butt off in the gym. Just my two cents.