45 minute 5k

Options

Replies

• lil_pixie
    lil_pixie Posts: 48
    Options
    Sign up for it. I was in the same boat last year when I did my first 5k. I was averaging about 40 minutes for a 5k and was worried about being one of the last, but on the day with the crowd and my husband cheering me on I did it in 33 minutes! I'd picked someone in front of me who I thought was about my speed and decided to stick with them. Turned out they were faster than me, but I kept her in sight and finished quicker than I ever thought I would. The feeling was amazing! I was absolutely shattered, but when I next went for a run, just knowing that I could do it and that I wasn't awful at running really inspired me.

I say give it a go, and you'd be surprised. But definitely have a few practices running outside first as it is a totally different experience. I much prefer it and don't really use a treadmill anymore. Find a nice route which will inspired you. I live near a reservoir and thinking about running round that in the sun with the lovely views actually makes me want to get out there and run. something than thinking of going to the gym and pounding on a treadmill never did.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You can train yourself to run faster by running DOWNHILL not up hill. A lot of people think that because its harder it will make you faster, its not the case

Mix your training up a little bit.
    Go outside for a start. The ground outside doesn;t move under your feet. Doing 5k outside and 5k are a threadmill are totally different, WIND< RAIN, uneven surfaces

To increase your running times, run downhill at angles of roughly 15degrees and try lenghtening your stride as you do it.

Also do some interval running. So run 200 metres as fast as you can, then slow right down for a minute, then run 200metres as fast as you can, slow down for a minute, do that about 8 times, once a week. Have warmed up first.

But never mind worrying, sure the atmosphere is amazing at these things, you will LOVE IT

Running downhill for extended periods of time will do your quads in. Lengthening your stride on hard ground in order to run harder and faster is a recipe for shinsplints.

OP be really, really careful.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I agree, I should of said run downhill for short distances, like 100/200 metres
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    First 5k i even ran i did it in 28 mins. 3 months before i had never run a mile. The way I did it every time i went to the gym i increased my speed on the tredmill by 0.1 so it wasn't a drastic change. I also ran on a slight incline. But i agree with everyone else you need to run outside as its very different.

Good luck :o)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Do it! i just did my first and it was amazing. :-)
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K back in June, in 33:22. I took 5-7 mins off my best time on my own.There something about being in a race makes you try harder and the adrenaline pushes you a little bit harder. The first words out of my mouth when I finished were "I AM definitely doing that again"
    My time on my own has improved a lot since that day and I run my next race Aug. 4
    You will be fine!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Update: I did my first 5K Saturday hoping to finish by 45 minutes. I was so happy when I made it in 39 1/2 minutes! I picked up a bunch of flyers for upcoming races and will be doing my next one in two weeks. Yup - I've got the 5K bug!

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Update: I did my first 5K Saturday hoping to finish by 45 minutes. I was so happy when I made it in 39 1/2 minutes! I picked up a bunch of flyers for upcoming races and will be doing my next one in two weeks. Yup - I've got the 5K bug!

WTG!!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Just sign up and do it.

October is plenty far away. Get out and do some running outdoors. There's a huge difference between a threadmill and running outside.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    My best time so far is in 45 minutes, that is with mainly walking and a little jogging here and there. I have done seven 5Ks in the past year, and I try to do better each time if I can. But if I don't, I don't consider it the end of the world.

The first one I walked with a friend, and it took us almost an hour. I was proud first of all that I did it, and secondly that I wasn't last.

For me personally, i think it's about the registering, looking forward to it, getting your tshirt, the actual event, and that feeling of euphoria that lasts most of the day after you cross the finish line that all count.

Enjoy yourself out there!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You can train yourself to run faster by running DOWNHILL not up hill. A lot of people think that because its harder it will make you faster, its not the case

Mix your training up a little bit.
    Go outside for a start. The ground outside doesn;t move under your feet. Doing 5k outside and 5k are a threadmill are totally different, WIND< RAIN, uneven surfaces

To increase your running times, run downhill at angles of roughly 15degrees and try lenghtening your stride as you do it.

Also do some interval running. So run 200 metres as fast as you can, then slow right down for a minute, then run 200metres as fast as you can, slow down for a minute, do that about 8 times, once a week. Have warmed up first.

But never mind worrying, sure the atmosphere is amazing at these things, you will LOVE IT

Running downhill for extended periods of time will do your quads in. Lengthening your stride on hard ground in order to run harder and faster is a recipe for shinsplints.

OP be really, really careful.

Not to mention that it's not good for your knees and your risk of ankle injury is much higher. Downhills are the dangerous side of hill running. If it were possible on the normal "circuit" or "there and back" course that most people run by necessity, coaches would generally prefer that you not do the downhill portion of hill runs. Of course, logically most hill runs (unless you can get someone to help you do a point to point run) are roughly equal parts up and down.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have been "jogging" 3.1 miles on the treadmill about 3 times a week for a few weeks now. It usually takes me 45 minutes to complete (I count my warm up/cool down). I will be "running" a 5k in October and I'm worried I will still be at 45 minutes. I know that it's better to take a long time than to not do it at all, but I don't want them to be packing up while I'm still finishing the race. Is that irrational or should I wait until I have a better time to sign up?
    Thanks!

You can only run as fast as you train. If you want to run, for example a 30 minute 5k, you must train your body to run at pace that will allow you to get you to your goal time.
  • snowyd20
    snowyd20 Posts: 176
    Options
    I've been doing a 5K once a week in my workouts for the past 4 weeks. The fastest I've done it is 33 minutes. I'm thinking about entering a 5k, however also know it will be different outside than doing on the treadmill.
  • JavaArk
    JavaArk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I understand your hesitation, but I agree with a lot of posters here, that most people are very supportive! Every step, every exercise and every race is just a building block to the next! :) I am supposed to do my first 5k this fall too. I am nervous too. I am not a runner, but have decided to do it. I did hurt my ankle running a few weeks ago and my training has been off, so I have no idea what time frame I can run a 3 miles now... Good Luck to you!!
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K and finished in 43 minutes. (Yea!!) And while there were a ton of runners ahead of me, I'd say a good chunk of people were behind me, too! Don't worry about your time! Compete with yourself and don't worry about the others. :)
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1st of all well done on getting on the treadmill consistently. 2ndly you do need to run outside to see how you fair, it is totally different (personally i cant do the treadmill as I get bored so extra well done)

Enter your race and the others have offered great advice I'm sure that you wont regret it, my 2nd ever race I was last and you know every single person who passed me as they were leaving cheered me on, runners are generally very supportive & encouraging.

Once you get used to running outside some intervals will help your pace, I started off running harder between two lamp posts then jogging out until I had recovered, the quicker pace will come but dont risk injury in the meantime.

And if you do a 45m 5k this time you can go for a quicker time next, use this one as a baseline to work from.

Lastly - just remember you are faster than those sitting on the couch - go for it :glasses:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    know plenty of other folks said it.... but i have to say it ..... get off the treadmill & hit the road.

happy running & good luck.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Here's your new plan:

1. Sign up for the 5K
    2. Start running outside...you will benefit from training under the same conditions as the race. So unless the race is on a treadmill, start running outside.
    3. Try to shave 20 seconds off each mile, each week. That's both manageable and attainable, especially when you start running outside. Do that and by October you'll be in the 30's for your time. The rush of race day will shave another little bit off your time.

Friend a bunch of runners on MFP to keep motivate. I run 6 - 7 days a week, friend me, I'll push ya.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Also, if it's your first race...forget about the time and enjoy the experience...running is 10% physical and 90% mental...enjoy your time, whatever it is...
  • lstranko
    lstranko Posts: 4
    Options
    You will find that the "excitment and buzz" before and during the race will up your pace....but just remember to keep going at a speed you are comfortable with. My first 5K I ran the first mile in 8 minutes...my pace is usually a 12 minute mile...I jog. I ended up with stomach cramps and a charlie horse and finshed in about 43 minutes (walking the rest). The 2nd time I ran I made sure the first few songs on my ipod were at my "pace" so I didn't worry about everyone zooming past me. I ended up doing that one in 35 minutes and jogged the entire way (it was painful but I was determined NOT TO WALK!).

If you don't want to run outside, by trainer has said to set your treadmill at a 1.0 incline, to mimic the outdoor conditions. But your shins will be killing you b/c your treadmill absorbs most of the shock...unlike the concrete.

So...I say DO IT!!! What have you go to lose...but pounds! Best of luck!