Single parents with lots to lose

Options
Hi All,

After my divorce in December 2011, I found myself in a depression and packing on pounds to an already overweight body. I knew I needed to do something. I have 2 young boys (18 months and 5 years) who are looking to me to set an example. In April 2012 I started a 90 day fitness Challenge with Beachbody. This has been the catalyst for coming out of my depression and starting to live a healither life for myself and my 2 boys. I've lost 28 lbs so far, but would like to lose an additional 125.

I would love the support and friendship of other single parents going through similar life changes. I'd like to know what recipes work with your kids and how you manage to fit exercise into an already busy schedule. Looking forward to hearing your stories and goals!

Replies

• freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi do keep it up, both bfor yu and your children. All i can say is that I had some good days and some bad days and I could not work out what triggered a bad day. All I know is that exerdcise made me feel better over a longer time than comfort eating. I now do not buy any junk food so we have to eat what I have in. Keep strong
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a single parent, but wanted to wish you luck and bump up your post so many some others can see :)
  • scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hiya.. i split up from my ex in jan this year, and i have a little girl who's 21months.. the weight has slowly crept up for me both during the relationship, and comfort eating afterwards.. but this is a new start. and im sure we can all do it :)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My daughter (20 months) eats what I do, except she gets the full-fat version of any dairy products. After all, I'm not eating diet food; I'm eating healthy, and I want to teach my daughter to eat healthily. The lesson is a little harder for a 5-year-old, but he's young enough to catch on.
    The big thing for me was getting an elliptical and keeping it in my living room. You can get them for pretty cheap if you forego the electronic bells & whistles. Having my elliptical means I can get a quick cardio session in before the munchkin wakes up, or after she's gone to sleep. No excuses about needing a babysitter.
    I'll also say that before I increased my protein intake, I had a lot less energy, which translated to a lot less motivation. Make sure you're eating healthily, not just cutting calories, so that you have the oomph to make the other changes in your life.
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. Skrittenden, sorry about your split. What have you found to be most difficult about being a single Mom?
  • cats4mommy
    cats4mommy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am new to the message boards here but I think this group may be a good fit for me. I am not quite yet divorced but have been seperated officially for 9 months (in reality, for much longer even though we still lived in the same house). I am hoping to be able to finalize the divorce very soon and actually have court in a matter of hours- yay!! It has been a mess. Anyway, I have four amazing kids, ages 17, 15, 14, and 11. One has some pretty significant special needs that makes it a little harder for me than the average person to find that extra time to exercise, but I try and probably need to try harder. Eating the right foods is not the issue for me, it is the exercise and my work schedule (overnights) that make my metabolism confused. Sometimes I seem to do well with seeing weight come off, other times it seems impossible. I look forward to checking back here often and getting to know those here. :)
  • cats4mommy
    cats4mommy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am also recently divorced but have been split for a year. It was a messy divorce and if lifetime television for women wants a good story, I have it! You name it, it was part of my divorce! So the past year has given me alot of growth and some amazing blessings despite it all. I would like to be a part of this group too :)