What running has done for me...

Options
I started running about 7 weeks ago with the c25k program. Since then I've gone with struggling to run the 60 second segments to being able to run 30 minutes straight for 3 miles. But what it has truly done for me is, finally put my mind into the place where exercise is a necessity. Working out on the weekends was always difficult for me. But with running, in my mind I say "Well, I didn't run yesterday. Gotta get up early and go today" which has never happened with ANY other type of exercise. So no matter what day it is, if I didn't run the day before, I just go. I love it and it gives me confidence!

I just wanted to pass along my random thought while running this morning! :)

Replies

• DietPep1978
    DietPep1978 Posts: 202
    Options
    Way to go!! I hope you are very proud of your hard work! ;)
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    fantastic!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that! I keep starting c25k and giving up after about a week. You've motivated me to start again and reread your post when I think about giving up.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Yep... running is progressive for sure; you can easily lose the endurance gains if you take any significant break from training - especially early on. But once you get to where you can feel those endorphins coursing through your veins it's an amazing feeling... highly addictive even.
  • naasirab
    naasirab Posts: 43
    Options
    yea I agree.. i just started running and I'm so anxious to make improvements I don't want to let myself fall off or slip up by being lazy.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well done. The same works for me. I have certain running days and everything else works round those days.

Keep on running!
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Definitely notice the days that I am unable to run, and it is a great time-out exercise for me. I am not easily able to run outside as have a daughter with health issues, but my treadmill is next to the lounge. I love the way I get a lot of thinking done, can watch and interact with my kids (and they get to see me being active), and push myself a little more each run. I enjoy competing with myself, and like the challenge of seeing if I can improve just a little bit on the last run. It has become a need, rather than a must.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I used to fear running, but now I really enjoy it, and I have yet to have to force myself to go do it. Most of the time, I can't wait to get outside and go!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I started C25K seven weeks ago but only just starting Week 6 of the programme as really struggled with the eight minute runs so redid Week 5. In just seven weeks what running has done for me:

1. Gone from huffing and puffing running 30 seconds to doing 20 minutes for the first time in my life.
    2. Made me realise that my PE teacher who told me I was rubbish at sport and would never be any good was wrong. It's never too late (for me at 38) to take on a new challenge and achieve something you never thought possible.
    3. Helped me to get up mountains faster. I love hiking and have noticed a massive difference in my endurance and recovery time since starting running.
    4. Helped me to lose 12lbs (along with eating to my BMR - 1500 calories a day).
    5. Changed the shape of my legs - I'm already getting amazing definition and my legs are slimmer.
    6. Noticably reduced my cellulite - incredible!
    7. I actually get excited about exercise now and can't wait to get home from work so I can go out running - even when it's pouring with rain (which has been most of the time recently)
    8. Given me the confidence to go out in public in running tights - took me two weeks of running before I bought them but now my legs are slightly less jiggly I wear them with pride!
    9. Reduced my knee pain - I've been on prescription anti-inflammatories since I was 14 and the cartilage in my knees is damaged. I think that while the high impact may not be ideal, by strengthening the muscles around my knees they are better supported.
    10. Improved my asthma - this is perhaps the most amazing thing. I still have to use all my preventative and reliever medication but to be able to run for 20 minutes without feeling like I am suffocating is nothing short of a miracle.

Am I a convert to running? What do you think?!!
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I started running about 7 weeks ago with the c25k program. Since then I've gone with struggling to run the 60 second segments to being able to run 30 minutes straight for 3 miles. But what it has truly done for me is, finally put my mind into the place where exercise is a necessity. Working out on the weekends was always difficult for me. But with running, in my mind I say "Well, I didn't run yesterday. Gotta get up early and go today" which has never happened with ANY other type of exercise. So no matter what day it is, if I didn't run the day before, I just go. I love it and it gives me confidence!

I just wanted to pass along my random thought while running this morning! :)

I'm coming up to my final run of week 9 and amazed at my progress, and at how much I enjoy it. What I love is having a way to measure my progress that isn't just about weight.

Any tips on how to keep progressing when the programme ends? I've thought about working on speed... maybe redoing from week 1 but alternating slower and faster running instead of running and walking. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?
  • adphillips06
    adphillips06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!
    I ran minimally in HS and never thought I would do it again. I started running in Jan., which my new year’s resolution was to complete 365 miles in 365 days. I'm addicted to running now. I'm always trying to increase my miles and out due my previous times. I have also become addicted to signing up for races and completing mud run and 5K obstacle courses.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I started running 18 months ago with C25K and just ran the Boilermaker in upstate NY (15K). It's just one of those things that I never thought I would be able to do and I can! I will be running a half marathon in October... Great job!!
  • icanlove
    icanlove Posts: 1
    Options

I'm coming up to my final run of week 9 and amazed at my progress, and at how much I enjoy it. What I love is having a way to measure my progress that isn't just about weight.

Any tips on how to keep progressing when the programme ends? I've thought about working on speed... maybe redoing from week 1 but alternating slower and faster running instead of running and walking. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Hello londoneye,
    I've also completed week 9 a couple of weeks ago, and I was in search for something similar. I found another podcast, called 5to10K, but it is not the same quality as the c25K, and I have to admit that I found it quite difficult to complete the first week of 4 10min runs.
    Let me know if you try the alternating pace, I was thinking of that myself.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    great work!!
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Hello londoneye,
    I've also completed week 9 a couple of weeks ago, and I was in search for something similar. I found another podcast, called 5to10K, but it is not the same quality as the c25K, and I have to admit that I found it quite difficult to complete the first week of 4 10min runs.
    Let me know if you try the alternating pace, I was thinking of that myself.

Yeah, I've come across the Bridge to 10k programme, but I don't know if I can commit to hour long sessions. Also, I've heard that it is better to keep running 5Ks for a few months or so before building up to longer distances. Any other feedback out there?