Seeking those with lean muscle goals and gains...

Options
TheTrimTim
TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
Hey there everyone!

I'm a 39 year old male from the UK and I've been active on MFP for around 3 months now. Over this time, I've lost around 2 stone in weight (now at around 11 stone) and gone from a 36" to 32" waist. So all's good there.

But now I'm wanting to continue to tone up and gain lean muscle and I'm a bit lost as to how to proceed. I keep seeing web sites and forum posts that seem to talk generic ways to proceed with regards to exercise, diet, supplements and the like, but with all the information available, I just seem to be lost on what "I" need to do to help lean muscle growth.

I started by posting this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668808-needing-help-with-lead-muscle-gaining just a few moments ago and I hope I'll get some good feedback from it.

Anyway, back to this post... I have many really cool MFP friends currently but very few have the same lean muscle goals as me, so I'd appreciate making contact with active MFP users that can help me in this area.

So if that's you, man or woman, young or not-so-young, bald or hairy, please check out my profile and send me a friends request.

TTFN!

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Good progress so far!

I think you kind of have to decide exactly what you want to do next, you will find it much easier if you concentrate on either building muscle, or losing fat, rather than try to do both at once. Once you have an answer to this, it will be much easier to proceed.

I read your other post too, that's a lot of supplements! Whilst they won't do any harm, they may not be necessary, really you need to work out your goals, work out what you get from your diet and what you need help with, and then take the supplements from there. Especially at a beginner level, some supplements can just be a waste of time.

As for the friend request, my goals are not exactly the same, as I compete, so my goal is getting stronger and more powerful, but it's certainly closer to your goals than the majority of people here, who are just out to lose weight. I'm also not a million miles from where you live, so once we both know that the other is not an internet serial killer, I'd always be happy to have a workout buddy.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    Hi Dan, thanks for your note. Your comments are very much appreciated. I do agree, I guess I need to think about my goals. From what you are hinting, I' thinking that if I want to loose an inch or two more around my stomach and get rid of that excess stomach fat, then I need to concentrate on weight loss and cardio with some stength. Is that right? Following that, I can look for more lean muscle?
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    congradulations so far.

I thin Dan gave you good advice, i also think it could be time to start your switch over from weight loss to building muscle. This is where I'm at now. You have to find a program you like and can stick with weather home based or at a gym. I'm on a maintenance plan for now eating healthier and keeping weight down until the end of the year due to a hectic schedule thru the summer and than again in late fall. I have looked into the insanity and P90x programs and found people who have done very well with them.

So in January when I can dedicate serious time for an intense program I will start one of them. for now it's an I phone app called Zim Fit, I can do while working on the road or at home. 1/2 hour to 45 minutes a day. If I don't have time every now and than no regrets.

So figure how much time you can dedicate and what type of program you want to follow.

good luck
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just read your other post, I see you are already further along than I thought. I don't follow any of those types of supplements so I can't help you there. but the plans I mentioned may be good because they figure in off days and use an alternating schedule to prevent muscle fatigue. You can still work the classes you like for the cardio end of the workouts. Good luck it looks like you are doing well.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on your achievements. I am a pound away from my goal weight and I intend to start lifting in order to shape up and get more definition in certain areas that I'm still not happy with. I'm also a bit unsure about what I need to do and was considering New Rules of Lifting for Women. I intend to start after my holiday in August as I want to complete my running program first.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    Thanks both for your comments. It's not easy, is it?! Perhaps I need to chat to a PT at my gym and see if I can get some direction that way.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I hear ya man... I need to melt of a few more inches on the gut before I can put more focus on the lean. I'm doing this whole "Lift the fat off" system I read about where you use weight lifting to burn fat. It's been working great so far. My big issue is I can't seem to get myself into a good solid routine. I bounce a lot. I've made great progress with it lost around 6% body fat and more than doubled what I can bench press and leg press.

Just in great need of a routine to stick to!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan, thanks for your note. Your comments are very much appreciated. I do agree, I guess I need to think about my goals. From what you are hinting, I' thinking that if I want to loose an inch or two more around my stomach and get rid of that excess stomach fat, then I need to concentrate on weight loss and cardio with some stength. Is that right? Following that, I can look for more lean muscle?

It's not so much that you need to do loads of cardio and a little strength, you can go all out strength if you like.
    Even just lifting, you will reduce fat, and get a little bit stronger, it's just that to really pack on muscle you need to be eating a surplus and to really lose fat you need a deficit. So as long as you keep eating in a deficit, you will keep losing the fat, just don't expect the same amount of strength and muscle gain as someone who is eating a lot more. Although assuming you're a novice, you will probably get some pretty good beginner gains as your body first adapts.

As for how to lift, as a beginner, I would suggest you concentrate on a full body routine and do lots of compound movements, like squats, deadlifts, pressing, benching etc... Once you get beyond the beginner stage, you can then decide which way you want to go, which may involve body building style splits and isolation exercises that seem to be very popular, or it may not.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    ...it's just that to really pack on muscle you need to be eating a surplus and to really lose fat you need a deficit. So as long as you keep eating in a deficit, you will keep losing the fat, just don't expect the same amount of strength and muscle gain as someone who is eating a lot more.
    Just so I'm 100% clear on this, by deficit, you mean that you are eating more calories that you burn in a day? And not the other way around?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Deficit is eatting less then your total daily energy requirements.

For building muscle you'll generally want to eat a surplus.

I was eatting 2500 to 3000 a day for the last two months lifting. And have been staying the same in weight and measurements. So that range is in a maintaince area for me. So I
    Uped it to 3000-4000 for gains.

For a strength rOutine if your not familiar with compound lifts, id check out the book starting strength. And look into strong lifts 5x5 a website

Congrats and keep it up
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    Thanks, helps a lot. :)
  • Phil350z
    Phil350z Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Deficit is eatting less then your total daily energy requirements.

For building muscle you'll generally want to eat a surplus.

I was eatting 2500 to 3000 a day for the last two months lifting. And have been staying the same in weight and measurements. So that range is in a maintaince area for me. So I
    Uped it to 3000-4000 for gains.

For a strength rOutine if your not familiar with compound lifts, id check out the book starting strength. And look into strong lifts 5x5 a website

Congrats and keep it up
    How long have you been eating 3000-4000 ? Have you noticed any gains ?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Just the last two days. let yw know in a month or two :)
  • joeyplatypus92
    Options
    its already been said lol.

id recommend looking into Bill Starr 5x5.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    As always, very helpful comments. Thx. :-)