Slim Fast vs. MyFitnessPal

Options
To me, it's hard sticking to my Slim-Fast plan while using this plan. But using the Slim-Fast plan, I'm not getting enough calories I should be getting, which causes me to eat more using this site. I'm trying to lose a few pounds here.

I must be doing something wrong.

Replies

• tmariesX2shine
    Options
    I would go with mfp its easier to live a normal life lol...plus if you look at the ingredients on those things they arent very healthy even though they are low calorie and have vitamins added
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    To me, it's hard sticking to my Slim-Fast plan while using this plan. But using the Slim-Fast plan, I'm not getting enough calories I should be getting, which causes me to eat more using this site. I'm trying to lose a few pounds here.

I must be doing something wrong.
    You are, you're trying to follow two contradictory plans at the same time. Choose one and stick to it.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the Slim Fast plan is pretty much a starvation plan.

That said, I like to make a Slim Fast shake each morning. I make it into a frozen drink with ice cubes crushed in my Magic Bullet Blender and it is fantastic. I will sometimes add in frozen fruit to. But, that's all I do. I eat sensible the rest of the time.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Learn how to track the calories found in real food... it will last you a lifetime. Slim Fast is a temporary fix that probably won't even work.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Can you feel that you can stick with the Slim Fast plan for the rest of your life? If not, then stop now. You will only gain back the weight once you begin to eat normally. Stay with MFP and eat healthy. It will work now and for the rest of your life.
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    Learn how to track the calories found in real food... it will last you a lifetime. Slim Fast is a temporary fix that probably won't even work.

bingo
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I'm not opposed to Slim Fast products per se, but MFP is much healthier as far as being flexible and giving you a specific calorie range to meet your goals. The Slim Fast plan is too restrictive. I will occasionally use the shakes that have extra protein when I don't have time for a meal, but otherwise you are better off learning how to eat sensibly with something you can do for the rest of your life.

1. Can you see yourself doing Slim Fast for the rest of your life?
    2. If not, what is your plan after you quit it? Translation: are you really learning healthy habits so that the weight doesn't come back when you stop?

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    HI, In order to lose and keep it off it takes discipline. You have to change your eating habits. If you eat less and excersize more you will start losing. On this plan it takes 3 or 4 weeks before you see much in weight loss. I had to learn, no frech fries, no fast foods, which I didn't eat much of anyway. The thing that was a problem for me was cookies, ice cream and sweets. Now I have learned not to crave them!

Best of luck. You can add me if you want!

Basil
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Slim-Fast shake for breakfast until I discovered protein powder (lots more protein to keep you fuller!. I use EAS Whey Vanilla because you can make smoothies with it and such. I tried the SF diet plan many years ago, but I also felt like I wasn't eating real food (except for dinner). I was hungry a lot too.

This time around, I am using MFP. Logging in all my food and exercise. I eat between 1800-2000 calories (of real food--in moderation of course!) a day and usually burn off 500-600 of that. I have been on here since April and I've lost 11.5 lbs, 27 inches and a pant size! [I did the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and am now doing P90X.] MFP, and the fitness friends I've made on here, are great and very supportive!

Good luck with what you chose to do! :smile:
  • herbalkitty
    herbalkitty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Anything that stops you having healthy balance meals isn't good for you, I'd choose mfp over slim fast any day, there is no substutute for good healthy balance meals. I was even told this in a health shop.
  • pj27559
    pj27559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I lost about 2 stones via Slim Fast, but as soon as I stopped the weight started to creep back on.

But this is what the manufacturers of "meal replacement" type diets want, they want you to succeed, then eventually fail so that they have a customer for life.

I have now been on MFP for around 6 months and am currently losing a pound most weeks, it's slow but steady progress.

I was on holiday for the last 2 weeks, didn't log anything for that period and yet managed to maintain my previous weight and appear to have lost a further 1/2" around the waist.

That to me says that MFP is sustainable and meal replcement diets are not.

Last time I looked at the SF plan ( along time ago) I think it was based on something like 1,000 cals a day, everything I have learn't since tells me that this is neither healthy or sustainable long term, and yes, close to a stavartion diet some would say.

But it is each to their own. personally I want to live the rest of my life enjoying real, healthy food, not sugary drinks with added vitamins + fibre thanks.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Slim-Fast shake for breakfast until I discovered protein powder (lots more protein to keep you fuller!. I use EAS Whey Vanilla because you can make smoothies with it and such. I tried the SF diet plan many years ago, but I also felt like I wasn't eating real food (except for dinner). I was hungry a lot too.

This. If you're going to drink shakes, at least make your own packed full of protein, fruits, veggies and such, not a can full of junk you can't even pronounce.

For me personally, I hardly drink anything with calories because id rather eat actual food. Isn't it 200 calories for one can? You can eat a turkey sandwich or 4 oz of chicken breast, a cup of green vegetables and a small side salad for the same amount of calories. Which is healthier and will keep you full longer? All that sugar would give me a stomach ache.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

This. If you're going to drink shakes, at least make your own packed full of protein, fruits, veggies and such, not a can full of junk you can't even pronounce.

For me personally, I hardly drink anything with calories because id rather eat actual food. Isn't it 200 calories for one can? You can eat a turkey sandwich or 4 oz of chicken breast, a cup of green vegetables and a small side salad for the same amount of calories. Which is healthier and will keep you full longer? All that sugar would give me a stomach ache.

Are you suggesting that I should drink a chicken?

465.jpg
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting that I should drink a chicken?

*Edit pic for space

Lol. That's awesome.
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options

Agreed. Whether SlimFast works for you or not, it's not real life. Who's going to take their can of SlimFast with them to Thanksgiving dinner while everyone else is having turkey and pumpkin pie?! I once tried Nutrisystem and realized this - it might be a temporary fix, but it wasn't something I could realistically stick with for the long term.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    We are all different but my experience is that slimfast didn't work for me at all. Well it did but then I just piled the wight back on after I fiinshed (and that was with loads of plans and good intentions for not doing so just like we all have I'm sure). MFP is educational, free and can be used long term. It also allows us to teach ourselves about our relationship with food and what food is. For me this is better all round