1st Marathon - need guidance regarding "GU" and the like...

Options
I've registered for my first marathon and will begin training as soon as the heat dies down a bit. It's not until April 2013. :)

I've done a half and did not use any energy products, just water and gatorade at the stops.

I know I will need more fuel for my full and cannot stand the taste of GU (which is what they offer on the course). So I am looking to take something else with me and would like to start using it now in my training runs. My question is this.

What is the difference between the jelly beans that are marketed for runners and regular jelly beans... or raisans or hersheys kisses for that matter? Is it "just" sugar that your body needs or are there other "special" ingrediants in the sports specific products that are necessary?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pam

Replies

• hkandiko
    hkandiko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the difference between jelly beans and sport beans. I don't find either very sustaining. When training for my marathons, I used shot blocks with gels and that seems to be a good combo. Also when getting into your longer runs it helps to wer a fuel belt. I would fill 3 bottles with water and the last with Gatorade.
  • blueraidermike
    Options
    I prefer the gu's, here is a list of considerations

- I would go to the race website and understand what nutrition they offer (Both drink and gu's, then go out and buy and test them and make sure your stomach can handle them. Know where they are giving out the gu's and carry a couple with you. Don't be afraid to grab more than one either.
    - Will it be a cool race or a warm race
    - Do you have a projected finish time.

Assuming the weather is not too hot, I recommend 200-300 calories per hour with the assumption that you eat a solid breakfast of about 300-400 calories 90 minutes before the race all the while sipping on some Gatorade for the hour leading up to the start time.

For me the breakfast is a cliff bar/banana or a whole bagel with PB on it, then a gu every 45-50 minutes and taking in about 4oz of gatorade/water every aid station more liquid's if its hot.

Be sure that when you take your gu you wash it down with 6-8oz of water.
  • rr430rd
    rr430rd Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats on registering and starting your training for a marathon. I did a lot of research prior to my first race and found that eating 0.6-0.7 grams/kg of carbs per hour is recommended. I was too cheap to use GU or any of the products targeted for endurance athletes (not to mention didn't care for the taste). What worked best for me was fruit snacks. Fruit snacks are ~20g carbs per pouch. I would eat a pouch every half hour after around 1h 45min of running. I have a friend who uses glucose tabs (you can find at any pharmacy) when she does long runs. Find what works for you and remember that training isn't just getting in those long runs, but also figuring what and when to eat/drink and what to wear. Good luck!!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Personally I use shot blocks and water. The major difference between the products made for running and regular jelly beans ect... is the inclusion of electrolytes, just like what is in GU or Gatoraide. You have alot of time, so start trying different things on you longer runs and find things that work for you. The only important thing is to drink some water if you use anything but Gatoriade (beans, shot blocks, or GU plus water is basically Gatoraide)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. You have plenty of time to play around. regardless of what you choose on race day. Another option is that once you find out what your stomach can handle while running, try to do your long runs without relying on suppliments.Take a couple along just in case, but see if you can get thru on one or none. It's not for everyone, but I really think that helped me out during my 2nd training cycle. One of my best feeling runs was a 20 miler on nothing but water.

Edited for grammar & clarity
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. You have plenty of time to play around. regardless of what you choose on race day. Another option is that once you find out what your stomach can handle while running, try to do your long runs without relying on suppliments.Take a couple along just in case, but see if you can get thru on one or none. It's not for everyone, but I really think that helped me out during my 2nd training cycle. One of my best feeling runs was a 20 miler on nothing but water.

I completely agree with this suggestion of deprivation training. Only use the supplements a few times to make sure you stomach can handle it, then do the rest of the training without. For a 16 week marathon training cycle, I will probably only do 3 long runs with GU. The rest are done without. That way the body becomes efficient at using its own energy stores.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree on deprivation training as well.

I personally cannot handle gus but took honey stinger jelly things during my last marathon and they worked much better although I still had some issues keeping them down. I need to try something with less sugar.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Thanks. This is the first I've heard of deprivation training. I would love to run without anything but water and gatorade. I have tried gu before and could barely swallow it. I know I can go 13.1 miles with just liquid. It is the other 13.1 I am worried about. :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This is the first I've heard of deprivation training. I would love to run without anything but water and gatorade. I have tried gu before and could barely swallow it. I know I can go 13.1 miles with just liquid. It is the other 13.1 I am worried about. :smile:

Deprivation training, not deprivation racing. :smile: I use one gel packet every 45 minutes in a marathon and I'll take one at one hour into a half marathon.

I use Hammer Gel from Hammer Nutrition. It's not a thick as Gu; I think it's easier to swallow. The Montana Huckleberry is the best flavor I have had. I tried the Raspberry, but it had bits of raspberry seeds in it. Didn't care for that much.