Career choice help!!

Options
mickipedia
mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
So, last week I had the week off so that I could book and do loads of photoshoots.. I had an amazing week but I am now back at my full time job which sucks.

What I want you to do is reply with 1 word..

Either "safe" if you think I should just keep my full-time job and continue photography as just a hobby or "dream" if you think I should quit my job and become a self employed photographer.

Both have their good points and their bad points.. If I play it safe I know I'll have enough money to cover rent and bills and still be able to live but I don't really enjoy my job. But if I follow my dream I'll be happy with my job but I may end up with next to no money as I'm sure people realise that a freelance photographer has very much hit and miss pay.

HEELLPPP!!

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Dream!!
    Do it now before you have husband and kids to support.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Could you cut back to make your dream work? Find a cheaper home, sacrifice a few luxuries? In an ideal world, you'll build up your photography alongside your job and take the plunge when it's looking successful enough to live on.

I say 'dream' though. Don't live your life wishing for something more.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Dream..... Smart!

I ran my own business, the freedom is awesome, the responsibility is huge, the realization that if you don't do it, you don't get to eat.... epic.

But I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything, even though I'm now back working for someone else.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Safe (for now)

Grow your business and then follow your dream
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dream.
    If you can survive on it, are willing to take the risk, and have some starting point, I'd say it's always better to fight for what you enjoy doing most.
  • Safe (for now)

You can grow your dream while being safe and then transition ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i think if you were a risk taking sort of person, you would have quit your job by now and gone for photography full time... the fact that you havent suggests you would prefer the safe route... theres nothing wrong with that, not everyone has a risk taker sort of personality...

that being said, you dont want to regret it in the future... life is very short, so make the best of it, and make sure you are happy with your decision!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Dream.

But get used to no holidays or new shoes for a couple of years. I did it and loved it but I struggled.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Safe and Dream.

Use the safety of the full time job to make sure you can pay your rent, utilities, and buy food. If you get healthcare through work this is also something to consider. It can be expensive to buy your own coverage.

Also use the FT job as a cushion to see if you can make enough with the dream alone. If you can bank your FT job $ for a month, see if you can find enough business to sustain on the dream job. See what business you can drum up with the photography on the weekends or evenings. Then if you can get work on the weekends, use that money to upgrade your equipment, so you can move on to bigger and better things. Working weekends is tough. Being a starving artist is tougher.

If you're still into it in a year, then make the jump, since you'll have money saved to fall back on and better equipment. :)
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I have been a full time photographer for 7 years so yes it can be done.

It is one thing to have a good week etc... but maintaining it year round and making money takes a lot of hard work.

Some days I feel so bogged down by the business end of things and I feels like I could be running a totally unrelated business. lol

Once you start doing things professionally it is more expensive than just doing it "as fun". When you are a professional you have different responsibilities (and trust me there are many).

I know 100's of photographers and there are very few that are making a solid go at it full time. The market is very competitive and there is a lot burn out.

Having said all that you can certainly do it but I would not quit your job until you have established something solid and paid for a lot of your equipment etc. Also, do NOT buy a ton of equipment just buy what you need (and back ups).

I know you are anxious to follow your dreams etc. but you will be far better off if you avoid large loans debt etc... I would do it on the side for a couple of years and get a feel for it. I would not blindly quit your job if you have no reassurance. It is easy to make 10-15k a year but it It took me about 5 years until I started making a real profit. ;)

best of luck.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    Dream ! WITH A PLAN!!

I did it but I saved a nice cushion , moved cross country paid 6months rent in advance on new apartment and set out to live my dream. No regrets, no real worries cause I hustle. And no doubt if you dont have that hustler mentality you wont eat. So maybe search your strengths and weaknesses to see if you really could do it. Start cutting your expenses by 50% and saving 25% of each paycheck for like 6 months and then see if it makes sense. Dont make an emotional decision cause your feelings wont feed you lol.
    So people find that they can keep that hobby to fuflfill the emotional need. Also self employed people have different tax rules , healthcare costs, and little or no time off.
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Safe (However I believe the real word here is smart). There are too few barriors to entry now in photography.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    OK, I'd also add before making the leap, make sure you have at least three months (preferably six) wages saved up, and if you don't already have a qualification in photography look into getting one.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Dream.

Life is too short.
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    Safe. Keep your hobby. Photography is now FAR too competitive by half. If you're good enough at your hobby, it will become obvious when it's time to do it full time.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Dream

I would suggest a part time job so that you would have the flexibility and some def money coming in to cover living expenses and such.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So, last week I had the week off so that I could book and do loads of photoshoots.. I had an amazing week but I am now back at my full time job which sucks.

Either "safe" if you think I should just keep my full-time job and continue photography as just a hobby or "dream" if you think I should quit my job and become a self employed photographer.

Both have their good points and their bad points.. If I play it safe I know I'll have enough money to cover rent and bills and still be able to live but I don't really enjoy my job. But if I follow my dream I'll be happy with my job but I may end up with next to no money as I'm sure people realise that a freelance photographer has very much hit and miss pay.

HEELLPPP!!

Safe. I do my dream job - designer for a NYC company working in virtual reality - as a part time job. My full time job is working for the head of a very famous academic department, which I also love, incidentally.

The benefit of keeping your "passion" job as a part-time job is that you get to choose what projects you work on, which means you will never fall out of love with it. The extra money will always be welcome, but you won't have to put your nose to the grindstone doing jobs you hate just to pay the bills and missing out on the fun ones that maybe don't pay as much because you REALLY need to make the rent.

Trust me on this; become a gifted amateur, a part-time professional. It's a wonderful life :)
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Safe for now. Build up your safety net - financial security, enough experience, a better portfolio, connections, etc. Then once you have "back-up" so to speak, strive for your dreams and more. :D
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

HEELLPPP!!

I know your pain, girl. I'm kind of in the same boat as you except I like my job as a designer, which I went to school for, along with photography.

The thing about photography is that it's surprisingly cut-throat and extremely competitive -- at least it is in North America. It takes a long time to build a reputation, and if you're not good, I wouldn't bother. Don't quit your job if your photography work only "looks" like a hobby.

That said, if you do have the talent, skills, and drive, you still probably shouldn't quit your day job. Slowly integrate the freelance work around your regular work schedule. It may be a lot of working hours but you'll be more satisfied. Build yourself up, market yourself, then eventually you should become strong enough as a photographer to do that alone. Or if you find that it's hard to book photoshoots, maybe keep your full-time job. Photography can always be a hobby that pays!

The change doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be, so sudden and dramatic. Try dipping your toes in the water first, just to see if you can swim.

Good luck!!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Safe (for now)

This.