Sizes?

Options
My mom gave me this super cute silk skirt today. I think it's vintage. Anyway, it fits great but I was surprised to see a size 10 on the tag. I'm a size 3/4 (loose, even!) in US sizes so was just curious what sizing this skirt is in... I was thinking maybe UK sizes? It's possible the skirt is from England as my mom used to travel there regularly. I also thought maybe it is so old it was sized before vanity sizing began...

Thoughts/ opinions?

Really, just curious... haha

Replies

• It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Delete
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sizes from years ago are actually smaller. typical “vintage” size is usually 4-6 numerical figures BIGGER than your contemporary size. Crazy huh?!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It could be very likely in UK sizes as well, I was there last month and while I wear a 2-4 at most here in the UK I was an 8-10! I hate the vanity sizing in the US, if people realized when they're in the teen sizes they're actually wearing 20s, they might be more motivated to lose weight and avoid all the health problems that come with obesity. Sadly it's all about selling things. :P
  • It_never_ends
    Options
    Sizes from years ago are actually smaller. typical “vintage” size is usually 4-6 numerical figures BIGGER than your contemporary size. Crazy huh?!

This is what i was trying to say. Thank you. :D
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I want to see the shirt :P
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    I want to see the shirt :P
    skirt, you meant, right?
    It's on the line drying right now... I'll take a pic soon though and post it- haha!

Also, thanks everyone for the great info on vanity sizing. I honestly never really knew what that was all about. Definitely makes me feel better knowing I'm not *really* a 10.
  • abetterjune
    Options
    Hmm... okay this just got me wondering... where do the numbers for sizes even come from, anyway?!
  • It_never_ends
    Options
    Hmm... okay this just got me wondering... where do the numbers for sizes even come from, anyway?!

Good question. I have no clue. :/ ????
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is why I wish we just used inches or centimeters or something like the boys do. Can we please just base women's sizes on reality, folks? D:
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    Maybe is a child/teen size ten?
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the size honestly....
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Probably is a UK size, a 10 over here is pretty small - it's my goal! And a vintage 10 would be pretty tiny now.

I have a vintage skirt that just about fits over my big toe and the label says a size 14...I'm a UK12 in today's sizes!
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    @freckledrats ^ THIS! :smile:
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It's probably from before vanity sizing because I remember someone telling me that Lucilly Ball and Marilyn Monroe were size 12/14! There's no WAY in HELL I'm the same size as them.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is why I wish we just used inches or centimeters or something like the boys do. Can we please just base women's sizes on reality, folks? D:
    This! I would love to use inches to buy clothes, it would be so much easier than trying on like 8 different sizes.
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    im in uk and i think that from what u have said it sounds like a uk size as im a typical uk size 8 which in usa is like a 4 sometimes a 2. i think usa sizes are 2 smaller than uk.
  • abetterjune
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. I wasn't *concerned* or anything, just curious.
    Also....
    This! I would love to use inches to buy clothes, it would be so much easier than trying on like 8 different sizes.

YES! This is why I've started to shop at the Buckle and Delia's for jeans lately because many of their sizes are waist and inseam measurements! Just bought a pair of 3/4 jeans a bit ago (that I'm happy to say are comfortably loose!) and they were labeled 3/4 petite as well as w27 L28. EASY to find my size because I know those numbers. :)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Oh man I LOVE when they tell you the inseam on petites. Some petites are actually a tad long for me so knowing the length helps soooo much before trying them on!
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A (contemporary) UK 10 would be a US 6. If it's vintage, it's probably more like the size of a UK 6 - 8 (US 2 - 4). So it could be UK sizing.