What's the point of logging Strength Training?

Options
I'm a little confused. I've been logging my strength training, but it seems like this information just goes into a black hole. Is there some place I can view graphed information, or any kind of data feature based on what I've done?

Replies

• thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So I can remember what muscles groups , I worked on certain days.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Doing it under the strength section is just for you to keep track of what your doing. Logging it under the cardiovascular section will show you how many kcals you burned and update your profile.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you want to log the calorie burn from weight training, select "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" from the cardio menu.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I can't work out the point either. I log my strength training here under cardio (to count the calories), then log the actual exercises somewhere else. I don't think this site lends itself well to logging strength training, although maybe I'm missing something. I'd love to be able to produce graphs, of, say, my deadlift progress over time.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It gives you something to look back at...what muscles ya did that day or if you forget if you worked out on a certain day...
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Doing it under the strength section is just for you to keep track of what your doing.

^That
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to produce graphs, of, say, my deadlift progress over time.

This! I'd love that.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    Another option to log it under in cardiovascular is Circuit Training. That's what I use as I alternate between 2-3 different exercises for each set without resting.
  • dublythe
    dublythe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've also been adding cardio intervals between set of strength exercises and recording it as Circuit Training under cardio. I didn't see a lot of point to inputting the actual strength exercises done into the diary. I track those separately.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    @bacon Those muscles are made with genuine premium bacon. yum yum.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think it's too complicated for MFP to calculate - too many variables, about fitness levels etc. I've asked the same question and this is the advice I got. Currently I log it as cardio, but I've got fed up and want to be more accurate, so I#ve just bougt a second hand HRM
  • hallmansm
    hallmansm Posts: 3
    Options
    The consensus seems to be "nothing" or "so you can look back at it".

How can I even look back at it?

I don't see what would be so complicated in calculating Sets X reps X weight = Total.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There isn't much point of logging.....here.

Get the Jefit app for your phone or tablet.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You can log it here so your friends can see how bad *kitten* you are, then really log it in a spreadsheet so you can chart your progress. That's what I do. But yeah, if you don't care if your friends can see what you're doing it is pretty pointless.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Agree. Add to that one confused Aussie who has only been going to the gym for about 4 months. I look and look in the MFP Strength Training section and can't find the particular machine or exercise I do with them, so find it hard to log in the first place.

Good suggestion about logging them under the cardio section using strength training to calculate (roughly) calories.
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    There isn't much point of logging.....here.

Get the Jefit app for your phone or tablet.

^ This. I love Jefit. In the 2.5 years I've been using it, I have yet to see anyone else in the 3 different gyms I've been a member of to log anything into their phones. Anyone else I see tracking still does it on paper.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't bother. It takes way too long and you don't even get any idea of calories burned. I include it in my cardio log, but not the individual muscle groups.

I usually do legs one day, arms the next day, core the next day, and so on.