Weight GAIN??

Options
I've recently gotten back into a daily routine of working out and eating heathier, but for some reason I am gaining weight?
I eat at LEAST 1200 calories a day, run an average of 12-15 miles per wk, and do some strength training
as well. I've heard that muscle weighs more than fat, but shouldn't I be losing some weight? Any advice would be much appreciated!! :)

Replies

• afl0405
    afl0405 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    bump
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    More than likely water being retained in your muscle. Give your body a bit of time to readjust. Drink plenty of water, and keep up the good work. Cn you tell a difference in your body other than what the scale is telling you?
    As a woman, I tend to put on a mysterious 3-5 pounds of weight about a week before my period, so that may be something to take into account.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    try upping ur calories
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    More than likely water being retained in your muscle. Give your body a bit of time to readjust. Drink plenty of water, and keep up the good work. Cn you tell a difference in your body other than what the scale is telling you?
    As a woman, I tend to put on a mysterious 3-5 pounds of weight about a week before my period, so that may be something to take into account.

Thanks for the advice! I think my stomach is starting to get a little more toned and I have more energy. I know I shouldn't worry so much about the scale, but it does get frustrating.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot that diet is much more important when you're concerned about the number on the scale. While exercise is very important for your health, you can't expect to lose large sums of weight solely due to exercise. You might look at your diet and see what types of food you are taking in. Make sure you are giving your body the right fuel. I highly recommend "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes. It is extremely informative and provides a lot of evidence as to how our bodies use the food we put in for fuel.
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Start taking measurements. The scale is an evil liar! Seriously though, if you are losing inches, but not weight, then you know that you ARE losing fat and just retaining water or putting on new muscle tissue
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your measurements... if you're gaining weight, but not inches then it's most likely from muscle instead of fat. But I'd also give yourself time to adjust and take an average over the month... I also tend to gain a few pound the week before and of that time of the month. Good luck!
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    From the knowledge I've gathered reading around MFP, it could be two things.

Water retained to help rebuild muscle, which someone's already mentioned. Drink more water to flush the old water out and keep your body from thinking it needs to horde or 'retain' the water for muscle repair.

You're gaining more muscle, which, by volume, weighs more than fat. To check for this, you should redo your body measurements (or if you haven't done your starting body measurements, do them now to further track progress) to see if your waist, arms, etc. are getting smaller even if the scale isn't moving in the direction you want.

Could also be both, I would assume. Either way, give it time and keep going! You may want to consider upping your caloric intake; some people are good at 1200 calories and some people need more. I'm personally set at 1520 per day and am still losing weight. ^^
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    Great advice everyone! Thank you!!