Alternative to Jam?

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
Hey all,

I'm doing an elimination diet to find out what food sensitivities I have. In doing so, I have come to suspect that I have a sensitivity to fructose. That being said, I can no longer eat any fruit for the time being.

However, I like to enjoy a good almond butter & jam sandwich every day. Now, I can't have the jam.

Does anyone know what would be a good substitute for the jam? I can't have honey or any sort of syrup/sugar.

Thanks!

Replies

• alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it but what about nutella
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hmm...a sugar free jello perhaps? Or maybe you could use a sort of veggie jam (if something like that even exists) Or just fresh veggie slices. It might not be the fruit you're allergic to but the added ingredients...
  • PinkBunni23
    Options
    I don't use jam, I normally take frozen fruit (preferably strawberries or mixed berries) that you can purchase from any grocery store, let the amount I'm going to use thaw out and blend it to make my own jam. I use it on french toast, pancakes, regular toast, etc. Be creative and don't limit your self to prepackaged goods.
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hmm...a sugar free jello perhaps? Or maybe you could use a sort of veggie jam (if something like that even exists) Or just fresh veggie slices. It might not be the fruit you're allergic to but the added ingredients...

I've known quite a few people with allergies to certain preservatives, this is definitely something you'll need to test as well. An ex of mine used to be allergic to preservatives in peanut butter that was incorrectly flagged as an allergy to the nuts, but she ended up being sensitive to one of the additives and was able to switch to an organic variety with great results.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Tough one if you are trying to avoid sugar altogether. Have you tried any sugar free jams? What about just the almond butter by itself? Or maybe with cream cheese? Normally I would say bananas or raisins, but i don't think that's what you are looking for.
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Something that sounds a little weird, but is really delicious is peanut butter and alfalfa sprouts. You could try it with almond butter.
  • alasin1derland
    Options
    cheese whiz or cream cheese spreads
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, however I cannot eat:

Any sugar, food colouring, sweeteners (aside from Stevia), dairy products, peanuts and nuts in the peanut family, fruit (because of the suspected fructose allergy - I'm cutting out the jam because eating any fruit causes a problem, as far as I know. Fructose is a natural sugar found in fruit), dried fruit, frozen fruit, pretty much anything with any preservative in it, chocolate...

The jam I have in the fridge is an organic jam with a tiny amount of natural preservatives. It has a short shelf life.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There are so many alternatives because you can freely choose what foods to eat, that's the beauty of it! Now, if you're looking for something with the taste and consistency of jam, but that isn't jam, I don't know. What about apple butter or some other spread (like Nutella someone else mentioned). I liked the quote that also mentions you could be incorrectly targeting the jam when it may end up being something else, like the preservatives. Good luck on finding your food allergy and a good alternative.
  • alasin1derland
    Options
    the tangy zip of miracle whip. sorry I am out of ideas, your in a tuff spot.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    the tangy zip of miracle whip. sorry I am out of ideas, your in a tuff spot.

It is a tough spot... This diet is incredibly strict.

I'll add a note: I'm cutting out the jam because I suspect I have a problem with fruit. I got this idea from the raw fruit I have been eating, not because the jam is the problem. There are fruit in the jam, so it's being cut from my diet.
  • alasin1derland
    Options
    I just read about the problems a fructose allergy can cause, not good. Maybe try hummous or tapenade. Not sweet like jam but spread alternative.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the diet under the supervision of a doctor and dietician with additional training in treating patients with severe allergies?

There's a diet that's been developed here in Australia called the Failsafe Diet which is similarly restrictive to your own, but does allow peeled pears. Obviously there's a reason for this, but it's been a while since I've had anything to do with my own allergies that I can't even begin to explain why peeled pears are a-ok. At any rate, I didn't even bother with the diet although I did find a butcher who made delicious Failsafe chicken sausages. They're ace; I still enjoy them from time to time. But peeled pears, that's it, peeled bloody pears. If you can have them then stew into submission and cook down the mush until it's thick and syrupy. Use as jam.

Otherwise you're sol and might want to look into Vegemite. Sure, it's utterly revolting unless you've been brought up on the stuff and is a well known rat and possum poison, but at least it's nice and exotic.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I'm doing this partially under supervision of a naturopath. It's my mother's naturopath. My Mom just passed the instructions off to me, and anything I discuss with her gets passed onto the naturopath.

The diet normally allows all fruit, with the exception of strawberries, bananas, oranges and grapefruit. I continued to have some "issues," but I was eating a lot of fruit. The naturopath suspected it could be fructose (which is relatively uncommon - hence why fruit are normally allowed). I dismissed this, thinking that I was simply eating too many fruit. I cut it down to one fruit a day.

All I had in the house at that time were pears. I was starting to feel better, until I ate one. I've since cut all fruit out completely.
  • alasin1derland
    Options
    ask about probiotics. they are a wonderful solution for many issues.
  • alanabeehave
    Options

Any sugar, food colouring, sweeteners (aside from Stevia), dairy products, peanuts and nuts in the peanut family, fruit (because of the suspected fructose allergy - I'm cutting out the jam because eating any fruit causes a problem, as far as I know. Fructose is a natural sugar found in fruit), dried fruit, frozen fruit, pretty much anything with any preservative in it, chocolate...

The jam I have in the fridge is an organic jam with a tiny amount of natural preservatives. It has a short shelf life.

So you want an alternative to jam but with no fruit or sugar of any form? Some fruits are relatively low in fructose like peaches but I don't know how far your limitations go.. Cofters makes a 'just fruit' jam, but it's hard to find. Maybe whole foods.
  • chivalryder
    Options

So you want an alternative to jam but with no fruit or sugar of any form? Some fruits are relatively low in fructose like peaches but I don't know how far your limitations go.. Cofters makes a 'just fruit' jam, but it's hard to find. Maybe whole foods.

Thanks Alana. I'm going to test a variety of fruits individually, to see which ones effect me the most, if this is even the cause of any problem.

I think I'll try something like cucumbers in my sandwich, or caramelized onions. lol
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    And as far as your diet, isn't an elimination diet meant to eliminate one suspecting food at a time? How will you know which ones are causing you grief? Are you having digestion issues? What are your symptoms?
  • chayoxela
    chayoxela Posts: 23
    Options
    like onions, some other veggies caramelize nicely. carrots, sweet potatoes come immediately to mind - you could cook, mash, and spread on a sandwich (we do this with apples and bananas instead of jelly, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with carrots or sweet potatoes.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Can you do like a Laughing Cow Strawberries 'n' Cream?