50lbs in 85 Days?!

Options
Is this doable?!

I am going on a huge trip in October and plan to work hard until that plane takes off to get myself down to a "Newer Me" Size. Now whether that be 10, 15, 20+ Pounds lost I am ok with that. Ultimately my Goal is to eat right & exercise to lose the weight.

However, I would LOVE to lose 50lbs in that time frame... any ideas on Exercise Routines or Recipes to eat, etc? During this time?

Thanks All!

Megan

Replies

• Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've just been reading a thread of a lady that lost 50lb in 90 days and looks great.....take a look.....it's almost the same as you're after :smile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    85 days is about 12 weeks.

To lose 50lbs in 12 weeks, you would need to lose a little over 4lbs a week.

To me, that's not very healthy or doable.

3500 calories = 1lb. To lose 4lbs a week, you would need a deficit of 14000 calories a week. That means you need a deficit of 2000 calories a day. Can you do that? I think that would be pretty close to impossible.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I personally think it depends what your starting weight is.
    I started at 245 and averaged 10 lbs a month for the first while -- got 75 lbs in a year.

Good luck :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

3500 calories = 1lb. To lose 4lbs a week, you would need a deficit of 14000 calories a week. That means you need a deficit of 2000 calories a day. Can you do that? I think that would be pretty close to impossible.

^^^^ This.

But if you focus on losing two pounds a week and incorporate some heavy lifting in your regimen along with lots of good cardio, you will have a lot more energy to enjoy your vacation because you'll be in better health, and you'll be setting yourself up for losing the rest of the weight a lot more effectively.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options

It can be done, but only if you work out a LOT. You'd have to burn 2000 calories a day, which, for me, is like doing 3 hours on the elliptical every day. Not sure that would be sustainable - or worth it.
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I absolutely understand the not very healthy aspect- but you see it with the 90-Day Fitness Programs, etc. so I thought- perhaps there was a way I could do it by eating right and exercise. Obviously my goal overall is to be healthy.

I just figured I would ask..

Thanks though for the Honesty!! :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

i think it's doable and not necessarily unhealthy assuming that 50lbs is not your end goal weight.

for example, if you weighed 250lbs and wanted to get to 200 in 85-90 days, I think that's totally reasonable.
    but if you were, say, 180 and wanted to get to 130, well, that could verge on dangerous
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose, honestly. Some people who are 100 pounds or more overweight can drop those first pounds quickly, adding up to what the previous poster is talking about.

However, if 50 pounds is all you want to lose, if you're like most of us, it's better to make a goal of becoming fit and healthy and watching the weight drop off as a side benefit. The program here at MFP encourages a healthy weight-loss plan of no more than 2 pounds per week (early in the process you may lose more if you drop water weight, but that will level out). For what you want to lose, following the healthy plan might get you to lose 50 pounds in 25 weeks, or 175 days. But you'll also have to take into account that as your weight goes down, your weight loss slows (I'm about 10 pounds away from goal, and I realistically can only expect to lose between a half pound and a pound per week, at best).

So, one of two things can happen:

1) You can do it the unhealthy way and not be guaranteed that it will work anyway, and then potentially gain it all back when you're done

2) You can follow the program here, aim to lose about 2 pounds per week maximum, drop about 16-20 pounds in the first two months, and then potentially watch that slow so that maybe you'll drop another 8 pounds in the third month. You won't hit your goal for another few months after that, but you're creating a new lifestyle that will help you continue to lose the weight and keep it off.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I absolutely understand the not very healthy aspect- but you see it with the 90-Day Fitness Programs, etc. so I thought- perhaps there was a way I could do it by eating right and exercise. Obviously my goal overall is to be healthy.

I just figured I would ask..

Thanks though for the Honesty!! :)

You're welcome! I'm not trying to be discouraging. I just think (numbers wise) it would be hard. And wouldn't it be better to have a reasonable goal you can achieve than a very difficult one that you will be disappointed in if you don't reach? Why not set yourself up for success and if you go beyond your goal, more power to you!!
  • reallyally1
    Options
    It's doable, but I wouldn't recommend it. First of all, it's not healthy. If you lose that much weight that fast, you'll be much more likely to put the pounds back on later. You're going to make yourself crazy trying to be super strict and then once you finally reach your goal, you'll start binging and you won't be able to stop. I've seen friends of mine do this again and again. That's why I've spread out my 60 pound loss over a year and a half. It takes a lot of patience, but it's worth it in the end.

Think of it this way, you can fix a hole in a boat with duct tape, but that tape will eventually cease to work and the boat will sink. If you fix it properly, it will stay afloat indefinitely.

Good luck!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It is completely doable, but it depends on the person, how much they have to weigh, etc. (I just hit my 50 pound loss today in 89 days, & I have been completely taken off all my diabetes medications, the doctor is soooo proud of me & says I'm his A+ student). Each person is different. For me, I switched my eating 200%...I now eat healthy (between 1200-1600 calories daily, & remain there so that I will no longer have to go back on meds)....I also incorporate exercise daily into my routine (power walking/running 6 days, weights 3x a week, JM 30-day shred)....so it is doable.

One thing I must say is this...there is no perfect answer for every person....you MUST find what works for you,.....because what works for one person, may/may night work for the next.
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    it is definitely doable.

haven't you seen the biggest loser ?!
    lol.

but definitely not healthy.
    you could try, but i'd talk with a doctor first.
    like the others said, you'd have to burn atleast 2000 calories a day.
    and myself, i get pooped burning 200-500 cals a day.

in the end it is up to you.
    but if you work your butt off, maybe raise your current workout routine, and eat even better than you are, you will definitely lose.
    maybe not 50 pounds, but definitely some pounds.
    good luck !
  • Sbehlmer
    Options
    It's doable, but I wouldn't recommend it. First of all, it's not healthy. If you lose that much weight that fast, you'll be much more likely to put the pounds back on later. You're going to make yourself crazy trying to be super strict and then once you finally reach your goal, you'll start binging and you won't be able to stop. I've seen friends of mine do this again and again. That's why I've spread out my 60 pound loss over a year and a half. It takes a lot of patience, but it's worth it in the end.

Think of it this way, you can fix a hole in a boat with duct tape, but that tape will eventually cease to work and the boat will sink. If you fix it properly, it will stay afloat indefinitely.

Good luck!

Such a general comment as "it's not healthy" is not correct...each person is different. I lost 50 pounds in 89 days by eating properly, cutting out all the "junk", & incorporating exercise into my daily routine.......I have been completely cleared by my doctor, he has taken me off all diabetes medications, & states I'm the healthiest I've ever been & that I'm his A+ student.

The key to weight loss is......REALLY WANTING to do it in the first place....actually doing it....staying motivated....& learning from things that might/might not work. Every single person is different.....every person metabolism is different.....so a general comment such as "it's not healthy" really shouldn't be said because that's not true..it all boils down to that person :)
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest losing this much weight this fast. Not only is it unhealthy you will be eating away at muscle along with the fat. Without a base of muscle things will be a-jigglin'. If you are overweight you probably have a decent amount of muscle underneath in order to tote that body weight around. You do not want to lose that.

Do it the right way and lose about a pound a week and work to keep it off. I know you want to lose weight by a certain time but that is not how it works. Give yourself realistic short term goals. Losing weight and keeping it off is going to require a lifestyle change NOT a temporary insane amount of weight loss then going back to your old ways.
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Such a general comment as "it's not healthy" is not correct...each person is different. I lost 50 pounds in 89 days by eating properly, cutting out all the "junk", & incorporating exercise into my daily routine.......I have been completely cleared by my doctor, he has taken me off all diabetes medications, & states I'm the healthiest I've ever been & that I'm his A+ student.

The key to weight loss is......REALLY WANTING to do it in the first place....actually doing it....staying motivated....& learning from things that might/might not work. Every single person is different.....every person metabolism is different.....so a general comment such as "it's not healthy" really shouldn't be said because that's not true..it all boils down to that person :)

You cannot lose weight just by eating better foods. You had to have been eating less simultaneously. And yes essentially all people are the same when it comes to losing weight. You eat less, you lose weight. You can say you are different but you arent.
  • kayemme
    Options
    i say go for it! you can aim for 50. if you don't make it, then what have you lost? 30? 40? all of it is good!

to keep from getting overwhelmed, I would suggest setting mini week goals: 4lbs/wk will likely translate to 2-3 most weeks with the occasional 6, so if you just keep focused week by week and not lose sight of a smaller goal (say 10lbs) you can better gauge how it will all pan out for you.

you still have to live during all of this, so what i have done to help me is not keep any junk nor sweets in the house, but when i'm at a party or out and about, i do allow myself to "join in" on festive food. having people nearby keeps me from overdoing it but doesn't alert people to be "sensitive" around me because i'm "dieting" which i'm really not.

i mean, i guess i sortof am, but not really, if that makes sense.

anyway, best of luck! keep us posted!
  • kayemme
    Options
    You cannot lose weight just by eating better foods. You had to have been eating less simultaneously. And yes essentially all people are the same when it comes to losing weight. You eat less, you lose weight. You can say you are different but you arent.

that's not entirely true. if you're a fast-food eater (i have a girlfriend who used to eat FF 3x a day) and then make the switch to a whole-foods plant-based approach, even gradually, your calorie intake will be significantly lower. in fact, you could even eat more than ever and still lose weight because the calorie load of carrots is entirely different than even a kid's size hamburger.
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think that Mini Goals are my way to go for now..
    That way each goal reached will be a victory! Then no matter where I am at in my 85 Days I will be losing.
    If I make it to 50- Awesome!! If not, at least I am making my Goals a long the way!!

Thanks Everyone!
  • Sbehlmer
    Options

Good luck!

You are absolutely completely wrong....I know since day 1 on my weight loss journey I have done it absolutely correctly, which is eating healthy...proteins, veggies/fruit, etc etc......and no, every single person IS different. My eating before I started on MFP was eating junk...chips/pop/fast food, & from Day 1 on here I have changed to eating healthy & exercising. There is not a day that goes by that I don't eat 3 full meals & 3 full snacks (between 1200-1600 calories daily).....

I'm doing it correctly, my doctor states I'm doing it correctly...my dietitian states I'm doing it correctly, & the proof is not only in the numbers, but in the fact that my body has gained muscle in the process while also losing pounds..... :)
  • kayemme
    Options
    I think that Mini Goals are my way to go for now..
    That way each goal reached will be a victory! Then no matter where I am at in my 85 Days I will be losing.
    If I make it to 50- Awesome!! If not, at least I am making my Goals a long the way!!

Thanks Everyone!

spectacular attitude!