Hello - My Name Is....

Options
Tara Bolton :) As of July 5, 2012, I have hit my short term goal of 50 lbs! As of today, July 16, 2012, I AM STUCK!! I have never been this frustrated about a weight loss plateau. My next goal is to lose another 50 by Christmas...how am I gonna do that if I am STUCK?? At the recommendation of a friend, I thought I'd give this site a try. I think part of the issue is becasue I basically eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch everyday. Maybe I need to change that up? Also, I thought I would start watching my sodium intake...when I logged my breakfast and lunch in for today, I am already over 1700 mg of sodium! YIKES! My exercise goal is to be able to RUN an entire 5k by October. I would love to hear any suggestions and/or success stories as to how y'all have gotten over plateaus.

Please and thank you!

Replies

• bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K running program. I used it... you have the time, and it is wonderful!!!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Tara, The only way to lose is to ea less and smarter and to excersize more. You have to get out and walk everyday! WOW to eat that much salt, you must salt your salt!!!!

Add me if you want!

Basil
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    *chika chika* Slim shady!

haha...I had to.

Anyway, I would definitely try eating different things. I got in this rut too and decided to change up my meals. Also, don't be afraid to go over calories a couple days a week, within reason of course. You could try the zig-zag method where you consume a different amount of calories everyday for a week. This keeps your body from settling into a routine and keeps your metabolism alert and ready. For exercise, try something different. If you've been doing the same exercises then you're body is adjusting and its not doing much for weight loss. I see you will be training for a 5k so try a different running course, maybe one that is more challenging. Don't expect your weight to change right away. It will definitely take more than a week. Good luck!!!
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just lost 2 pounds after 2 1/2 months of losing NOTHING...it was very frustrating.

I just kept on doing what I was doing...It seemed like after losing 25 lbs, my body just stopped changing....I was sad...but I kept going doing my thing....I changed up my exercise, tried to do something different everyday, (I eat the same stuff most days too) and then in the last week BAM 2 pounds down...This happened to me when I first started as well, it took at least a month for me to initially lose anything. So, just keep going just keep going, your body will decide to continue after a while....

* I also bumped up my calories...from 1200 to 1350, I was scared to do that like a lot of other people but I figured eh why not...and did, adding more veggies and fruit to fill the new #...

*Sodium is my nemesis.....it must be contained....it's a naughty bad thing-stay away! :wink: Also, always DRINK WATER. It truly does help.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would definitely change my diet a little and change up your exercise routine. Maybe try out some new exercises or instead of using the treadmill everyday try the ellipitical or something of that nature. Good Luck!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    When you hit a plateau, change things up. It is about fooling the body. Do different exercises or at different times of the day. Change calorie count, a little higher one day, a little lower the next. Change the intensity of exercises during exercise session. Watch portion control. I weighed & measured & planned everything I ate. Drink water, watch sodium. That is what worked for me, Broke the log jam and started losing again. Good luck, you can do this.
  • taramom2
    taramom2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I promise I don't salt my food! What is killing me is the turkey breast lunch meat I get at the deli to make sandwiches for my lunch. Thought it was a "healthy" choice! WRONG - with 600 mg sodium! I'll be researching and making better choices for sure. Right now my exercise consists of a walk/jog routine about 3-4 times a week. Usually do some xbox kinect if it's raining outside. Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Kryssaxo
    Kryssaxo Posts: 54
    Options
    Stick with this site and make some friends so that everyone can hold you accountable. It's helped me lots.
  • Anabelucci
    Anabelucci Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When you hit a plateau, change things up. It is about fooling the body. Do different exercises or at different times of the day. Change calorie count, a little higher one day, a little lower the next. Change the intensity of exercises during exercise session. Watch portion control. I weighed & measured & planned everything I ate. Drink water, watch sodium. That is what worked for me, Broke the log jam and started losing again. Good luck, you can do this.

Yes, what she said!!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Like everyone else said try changing up your routine and food. Look up some new recipes to try and definetely get that sodium down. Too much sodium can make you retain fluid especially in the hot weather. Start keeping a detailed diary of what you're eating...you might be suprised by some of the calories you're wasting. It's not just about the calorie total but about the quality of the calories. I've heard more then a few people on here mention that they have upped their calories once they've lost a certain amount of weight and it helped kick start more loss.

Feel free to add me... you can do this with motivation and support!!
  • Anabelucci
    Options
    Oh, and also try not to focus on a quick weight loss, but give yourself time. For example, I still have 36 pounds to go to get to goal, but I am shooting for 20 by the end of this year, and then the final 16 by the end of next year. BTW, the 20 lbs I might need to adjust because that was my goal, at the beginning of the year, and didn't get started 'til now.:embarassed: Add me, and I will do by best to encourage you through your journey. Good luck!!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I gave up deli meat because of the same reason...I was shocked when I saw the sodium #s. Here's an easy way to make your own: http://www.myecoventure.com/2011/09/08/homemade-deli-meat-tutorial/ You won't have to worry about any junk they put in the stuff at the deli and it's pretty easy.

Try to eat raw or whole foods to keep sodium down. I've cut out almost all pre-packaged foods from my diet and my sodium level is WAYYY lower than originally.
  • Anabelucci
    Options
    Like everyone else said try changing up your routine and food. Look up some new recipes to try and definetely get that sodium down. Too much sodium can make you retain fluid especially in the hot weather. Start keeping a detailed diary of what you're eating...you might be suprised by some of the calories you're wasting. It's not just about the calorie total but about the quality of the calories. I've heard more then a few people on here mention that they have upped their calories once they've lost a certain amount of weight and it helped kick start more loss.

Feel free to add me... you can do this with motivation and support!!

That's true, about the quality of the calories! Try to choose lean meats, whole grains, and vegetables daily!!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Damn... I was expecting the OP to say

"... Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die" :)

Afraid I cant help beyond that... which isn't all that helpful to be honest... But I hope you get unstuck
  • taramom2
    Options
    Living in the south - I was a Sweet Tea Junkie (as is my hubsband) and he makes delicious sweet tea, so it is always in the house. Fortunately, for some reason it wasn't difficult for me to give it up. I don't drink anything with calories anymore....mostly water, and I occassionally make a pitcher of Walmart brand Crystal Lite which may have 5 calories a serving.
  • ces25
    ces25 Posts: 3
    Options
    am with you on this! I feel like I have been trying to loose the last 20 pounds for the last one year, it can sometimes be a real motivation killer. Like everyone says gotta stick with it and not get discouraged.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Damn... I was expecting the OP to say

"... Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die" :)

Afraid I cant help beyond that... which isn't all that helpful to be honest... But I hope you get unstuck

You're not the only one :)
  • taramom2
    Options
    I am officially UNstuck! Have been since July 19th! Upon recommendation of my doctor, I am doing one week of protein only....4oz protein at lunch, 4oz protein at dinner and a boiled egg with 2 turkey breakfast sausage links for breakfast. That's it. Thank goodness tomorrow is my last full day! I started Saturday and have lost 6lbs so far. Since I have last posted I was stuck at 50. Happy to report I am now down 12 more lbs for a total of 62 today :happy:
  • Kiakam
    Kiakam Posts: 1
    Options
    Last time I reached a plateau I went on a raw food diet and lost a lot of weight. You can also try juicing or replacing one or two meals with healthy green smoothies.