New to the Community, looking for contacts.

Options
My name is Paul, and I live in Saskatchewan Canada. I am 37 years old and am currently at my heaviest at 214 (5'10"). I have some uniques challenges being a Type 1 Diabetic (Juvenille) since the age of 11, and have some kidney damage as a result of having diabeties for 26 years. While everything is under control and stable... I am constantly told that improving my fitness and reducing my weight can help me a great deal. My goal is to get to 180 pounds.

It would be awesome if there where some people out there looking for contacts to help motivate, and share things they have learned along the way. While it would be nice to have some people with simular challenges... but I think it is great to have a variety of people with different circumstances. I think that opens up the what works, and what doesnt discussion. Open to people around the world, do not have to to be local.

I've been on the site for a few months, but just started this weekend. Today is my first day of tracking.

Regards, Paul

Replies

• Candano
    Candano Posts: 16
    Options
    My challenges must scare people o.O :)
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi Paul, feel free to add me if you'd like. I don't have diabetes, but it runs in my family, so I'm trying to get healthy to avoid it later. I have a brother in law with juv. diabetes who got off insulin just by dieting. (then got cockey about it and started eating whatever he wanted and promptly was put back on). Anyway, I'm a good cheerleader and motivator.
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    hi! I don't have diabetes either but my dad was diagnosed just before he turned 60. His mother was diabetic and died at the age of 56! So the family history has me a bit scared. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with 2 of my 5 pregnancies. I managed to avoid insulin and tried to control it with diet but I do know that it puts me at greater risk.
    I would be happy to support and encourage you. I am on daily and definitely have benefited from this site and the support I get here. I will send you a request.
    Tara
  • Robrowald
    Robrowald Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I will try to motivate and inspire you to do and be the best you can.
  • Pils_
    Pils_ Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey Paul!! i don't have diabetes either, but my grandma did... also we've got some serious heart problems at my family... that's why i'm trying to lose weight and get fit! feel free to add me if you want, y just got started here... :)
  • LisaYoung44
    Options
    Hey Paul. Congratulations on your first day. I struggle daily!!! Feel free to add me.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Hey Paul!! i don't have diabetes either, but my grandma did... also we've got some serious heart problems at my family... that's why i'm trying to lose weight and get fit! feel free to add me if you want, y just got started here... :)

I pretty much have the same story as you. Grandma had diabetes. Father and grandfather both have heart problems and my mother has hypertension.

You can add me too Paul, if you would like.
  • farmer50340
    farmer50340 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am not a diabetic, but I am afraid of becoming one. My mom's mom and my dad's dad both were diabetic. I'm losing weight and becoming more healthy to help my health in many ways.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish.
  • determinedash
    determinedash Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello! Feel free to add me if you'd like. Diabetes, heart disease, obesity all runs in my family - every one of my grandparents have had ALL of them put together and my dad is well on his way there as well, so I'm doing everything I can to prevent my path to it!
  • sbpierce
    sbpierce Posts: 2
    Options
    HI Paul,

Feel free to add me as well. My husband is not on myfitnesspal, but he and I have been losing weight together. he is 6' and in January weighed in at 235. He's lost 30 lbs since. In January we both started following a diet routine that some friends of our's (one's a personal trainer, the other is a professional soccer player) recommended to us. It's called the Advocare cleanse and as a couple our friends do a 10 day cleanse about once every 3 months. My husband and I weren't interested in taking supplements (not to mention it is really expensive), so we just started eating like the diet suggests. He found that the diet alone made him lose the weight. I had to diet and go to the gym, but he has a pretty physical job. I myself am not a diabetic, but my step-father was (since the age of 12) so I am pretty aware of what is acceptable for you to eat. The advocare cleanse cuts out all processed suger, dairy, wheat, alcohol, red meat for 10 full days. We stuck to this and now we just regulate how much os those things we have. We usually only eat those things on the weekends, as a treat for being good all week!

Here is the link to the shopping guide for the advocare diet: http://www.advotips.com/wp-content/uploads/Updated-Grocery-List3.pdf

On their website there a lots of recipes for stuff too. I have made lots a delicious turkey burgers and chilis that are within the diet restrictions. Another thing about this diet is that it tells you to eat all the time, so you're never really hungry.

I will admit. the first 3 or 4 days are the hardest because your body is getting sugars out of your system but you can do it!

Good luck!
  • n_butler23
    Options
    New to this site and just looking for friends to add. I am 33 years old, and I am 5'3. I am ashamed to say that I weigh 253lbs. That is all about to change, though! I am exercising and trying to control my portions as well as the types of food I eat (I LOVE pasta). Since I am a borderline diabetic, this is all the more important so I dont end up with full on diabetes.

Looking for all the support I can get because my biggest struggle is with food. Look out 180, here I come!!
  • Candano
    Options
    Thanks for all the invites so far. I noticed there are a number of people talking about being a risk of diabeties, or that it runs in the family. I want to clarify that there are actually two different types of diabeties.

Type 2 (What most of you describe) normally happens to adults and is the most common type. This is often a result of obesity, and can often be treated with diet and exercise... and in some cases reversable.

Type 1 (Juvenile) happens primarily in children and teens under the age of 19. It is where the body mistakens the insulin producing cells as harmfull and attacks them. There is no reversing this one, and people who have this type are insulin dependent for life.

So while my goal wont change the fact that I am diabetic, in will certainly help in the management. Please note while it is a challenge, it is managable and Type 1 can live long normal lives... and in most cases you would not know you were near one unless they told you.

If you have any questions regarding the two diabetes and the differences let me know. Regards, Paul
  • Candano
    Options
    Looking for more motivators, friends, and people who want support. Add me at your convenience.

Paul