What classes as post-worthy EXERCISE?

Options
Hi all,

I'm a new user to this site and was wondering what other people do with regards to walking, and whether they post any walks on their exercise logs.

I do not drive and can't afford much public transport so I walk most places within about an hour away. I have never really thought of this as exercise as I do it all the time, but an hour's walking at 3mph is 230 calories burned according to this. Worth posting? What to people think?

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    If you track excersise here then yes, its probably worth it.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Personally, I track any walk over 20 minutes. That's time for me to get a bit tired, for my heart rate to go up and for it to feel significant.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you have your lifestyle set as "sedentary", then you can pretty much log anything you like. Just keep in mind that MFP's calorie burn estimates can be fairly high for some lower-intensity exercises.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I would just factor that into the activity level set in your profile if it's something you do daily.
  • Jake45
    Jake45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ::bigsmile: walking is great exercise
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: get a heart rate monitor and use it to find the calorie burn of any real walking that you do......maybe 20 minutes or longer

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I walk my dogs separately for 20-40 minutes every morning and then together for 60-120 minutes later.....I meet with my friends to walk and talk instead of coffee or cards or meals and I log all those walks with the calories according to my heart rate monitor
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Walking is actually great exercise, so yes log it.
    I always bring my pedometer so I know how fast I was going and try and keep my pace between 3.5-4.5 and track it.
    :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Personally I would view that as part of my daily activity or lifestyle averaging it out per day. As opposed to logging it as exercise I would set my daily activity level to high or medium accordingly.