Calories on the Cruise, any detailed info?

Options
weeblex
weeblex Posts: 411 Member
First of all, I plan to eat pretty much what I like while we are on the cruise.

That being said it shouldn't stop me being smart about it, I've emailed the cruise line to ask about nutritional info on their stock evening meals that I know don't change much, but has anyone ever had a response back about this?

The annoying part is that I can't even guesstimate with MFP because I'm not going to pay their internet rates.

I'm thinking I'm gonna take the "Steak and Baked" route if in doubt.

A tip we learned from the last time we cruised is to walk round the deck to get to the dining room before dinner and all the way back round the deck when we were done, it isn't much but it is 10-15 minutes of walking without much effort.

Replies

• lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what line you are taking but if it is Carnival try John Herald blog and Facebook page. He list the menus and some of the recipes. Also you can always eat off of the Spa or light menu, I think they have on listed for every meal.
  • weeblex
    Options
    I'm not sure what line you are taking but if it is Carnival try John Herald blog and Facebook page. He list the menus and some of the recipes. Also you can always eat off of the Spa or light menu, I think they have on listed for every meal.

I know they have the light menus, but restaurants in a lot of states now have to publish calories, sodium, etc.. I was hoping someone knew if the cruise lines were?
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was extremeley careful a few years ago when I went on a 10-day cruise. Couldn't believe it when I got home, I had put 10 lb on. My friend who didn't think about what she ate had put a stone and a half on (21 lb). I think there will be loads of healthy choices as you say - steak and bake - but it is number of times during the day you can eat that does it.

Enjoy your cruise and good luck in your choices

Linda
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I asked Cunard for calorie info last year when we were thinking about doing a cruise with them and they told me that it just wasn't possible because menus are subject to change. They sent me a sample menu for the ship we'd planned to sail on and there was a calorie count beside the low fat option. Clearly that part of the menu is not subject to change. I'm guessing they're not too keen on giving out the calorie counts for regular food because five course meals are going to be hugely high in calories and might put some people off.
  • weeblex
    Options
    I asked Cunard for calorie info last year when we were thinking about doing a cruise with them and they told me that it just wasn't possible because menus are subject to change. They sent me a sample menu for the ship we'd planned to sail on and there was a calorie count beside the low fat option. Clearly that part of the menu is not subject to change. I'm guessing they're not too keen on giving out the calorie counts for regular food because five course meals are going to be hugely high in calories and might put some people off.

This is Carnival which we have done about half a dozen cruises on, and while there is some local fare, there is a lot of stock dinig options that come up regardless of where they are visiting, I would have thought someone would have put something together. *hopefully* lol

Maybe I need to print out the MFP database LMAO, I'm sure the internet service on the boat would be cheaper than the paper :bigsmile:
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We ate all we wanted on the cruise and we went on two of them. But I always had tons of salad and I drank light beers. But I am extremely active I used the gym facilities even on vacation. We never took elevators and we walked all the flights
    of stairs to wherever we went. I lost three pounds on first cruise and stayed the same on second cruise 3 years later. Oh an tons
    of water.
  • weeblex
    Options
    We ate all we wanted on the cruise and we went on two of them. But I always had tons of salad and I drank light beers. But I am extremely active I used the gym facilities even on vacation. We never took elevators and we walked all the flights
    of stairs to wherever we went. I lost three pounds on first cruise and stayed the same on second cruise 3 years later. Oh an tons
    of water.

We plan to use the gym and the running track to counter the food.

We tried to use the stairs but my wife's love of the apple martini's and her high heels soon put a stop to that :D

We have some of those Brita filter water bottles that we plan to take, hopefully it will get rid of that nasty tasting ship water.