Venting on "Diet" scams

Options
I've seen some doozies over the years. Claims on quick fixes that can magically make you lose weight with no effort at all.

But this HCG diet really REALLY pisses me off...

oh sure take these magic drops and you'll lose crazy amounts of weight! Oh and you have to only eat 500 calories a day, but that's no problem...

I want to shake people who buy this stuff!!!

wake up!!! If you only eat 500 calories a day you're hurting yourself! and NO *kitten* you're going to lose weight!!! **500** calories a day!!! *grumble*

*shakes and angry fist at the ridiculousness of it all*

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I feel that these manufacturers just play on the desperation of those wanting to lose weight.....it's so sad. There have been so many scams over the years with diet pills, slimming tea etc. Desperate people will try desperate things.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate that diet. Have had it several helpful people recommend I try it because their cousin's friend's daughter lost sooo much weight by starving herself and taking drops. Really now, if I wanted to invite an eating disorder into my life I could do it far more cheaply.

One diet I absolutely loathe is Optifast. I hate that I had a gp pushing me to try it and I hate that I gave that company several hundred dollars for what is basically a low fat milkshake and a multivitamin. Oooh, the vitamins are in the milkshake, amaaaaaaaaazing. The soups were foul and the chocolate dessert had a taste that reminded me of stale TimTams with a topnote of mould. Rank.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The problem is most people are waiting for that "quick fix; magic pill, drink, drops, food. etc to lose weight. So they will try anything.

No one could ever adopt these quick fixes as a life style change & they are temporary. Some people don't want to make the commitment of a lifestyle change I know I didnt years ago and that is why I tried so many quick fixes my self.

I have come to the realization that either you do it or you don't when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle.
  • CheriSoVery
    CheriSoVery Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the 500 calorie magic weight loss thing just blows my mind. It transcends desperation
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I agree! And the one that REALLY has me angry these days is the Feeding Tube Diet...also known as the Wedding Day diet. Disgusting! These doctors, in my not so humble opinion, should lose their license and be thrown in jail!

In case you haven't heard of it, here's a link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2012/04/17/the-feeding-tube-diet-and-our-limitless-weight-loss-idiocy/
  • Siddarhi
    Siddarhi Posts: 1
    Options
    I had actually not heard of the HCG drops until just now. I thought you were talking about the sugar glider's diet plan. :laugh:
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Utterly and totally ridiculous!!! The only way to really lose the weight is to change your lifestyle and mind set. It wasn't put on overnight and its not going to come off and stay off that way either!!! Nothing worth anything in life is ever easy!