Counting calories...Bad?

Options
My husband is always bothering me about counting calories. he says Its not a healthy way to live. but i haven't found another way to lose weight. does anyone have any comments about this? I'm not sure if hes right or if he doesn't know what hes talking about.

Replies

• running_girl_84
    Options
    It's not a healthy way to live? If counting calories is what works for you and you are losing weight, then by all means keep at it because what's the alternative? Gaining weight? Being overweight or obese? Counting calories gives me a sense of control. Maybe one day I'll be able to "eyeball it" and not have to count every little thing. But for the time being, it's what works. You gotta do what works for you.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    its not healthy if you get obsessed and count every morsel you eat for the rest of your life... Its good when trying to lose weight but eventually you will know what a portion size should be and have some idea in your head what your calorie intake would be for the day.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone on MFP would say counting calories was a bad thing. I do get where your husband is coming from... it is very difficult to either meticulously meal plan or constantly check nutrition labels before you give yourself the okay to have something. But that's how we all got into this unhealthy state is by blatantly indulging in foods. It's prob hard for him to understand that you have to watch what you eat whereas maybe he doesn't. (I'm referring to my husband here, maybe yours is the same. My husband eats anything he wants-pizza, burgers, fries, whatever, and is still underweight! But he's very tall and genetically very long-limbed and lanky, so he needs those calories) Whereas we as women store weight differently and have to be much more cautious. I think eventually once you count the calories for awile, and measure your portions, you will start having a better idea of how much and what foods you need to eat to stay within calories and precipitate weight-loss. Until then, keep up the eternal vigilance and ignore his comments- it really will pay off!
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand what he saying because i used to think like that too. " i feel bad for people who count calories because it's no way to live" But I realize now that this is a starter to help people be aware of what they are doing and a way for people to have control. Just explain it to him like it's just a way to help. A starter for some people. I used to log in everyday every single thing I ate. Now I can just look at certain things and add them up in my head. Later im assuming habits will form and I will just know better
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I've been pretty active most of my adult life, lifting weights, Mt Biking, swimming, hiking etc. with the exception of this fall I have been over 315 lbs consistantly for the last 12 years while doing all of that.

It's wasn't until I started counting calories and logging my food that I began to lose weight. You can't out excersise a bad diet. So while there are other things I would like to do with my time, if it keeps me from being diabetic, having knee replacements, getting sleep apnea, and off BP medication...I'd just have to say that calorie counting is certainly more healthy that those things.

Do what you need to do to be successful.
  • inkaddict
    Options
    Calories in Calories out. It's the only way I have ever been able to control my weight. If I stop counting them, I gain weight. I am pro calorie counting!
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    It depends on how your mindset is when it comes to counting calories.

It can be detrimental if all you think about all day is how many calories you are consuming or are going to consume. If you find that you are obsessing.... maybe it's time to take a look at the big picture.

I found myself obsessing over the summer. I was losing way too much and becoming OCD about every thing I ate. I would freak out if my husband would even suggest eating something, that in my mind, was a "bad food" bc of the calories it contained. He noticed I was falling into old patterns (history of eating disorders) and had me see a dietician/counselor. I realized how quickly I can go from "eating healthy" to restricting.

It really depends on the person... counting calories is a great way to lose weight... as long as it doesn't turn into an unhealthy obsession.

If you find yourself obsessing, getting angry/anxious, stressed, overexercising to compensate for calories consumed.... I would suggest making an appt with a dietician to get you on the right track.
  • EllienLyla
    Options
    thanks everyone. its good to have opinions other than just my husband. I have been doing good counting calories and I'm going to keep it up. :smile:
  • mtrebuck
    Options
    like everything else, if you come at it joyfully and it contributes to your life, counting Kcals is good medicine. Conversely, if it's just filling an empty emotional hole, joyless, a grim death march, then what's the point? nothing is worth sacrificing personal happiness.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There will always be people who will oppose what you do. You're getting your nutrients, you're losing weight, you feel good - that's all that matters. Explain to him that this makes you feel good and it is healthy. How you feel about yourself is also important
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends. In the beginning it's really helpful because it's an education. You begin to learn about the nutritional value of the food you are eating and make more educated choices. I've pretty much gotten to the point where I can keep track in my head of what I'm eating and I don't have to pay as much attention. I still do it as it helps keep me honest.

I think it becomes "bad" when it becomes obsessive or when it's used as a tool to adopt unhealthy eating habits. For example: if you are counting calories, obsessed about every bite you take and trying to keep under 500 calories a day, then it's bad. I also think you have to accept that there are going to be times when you just can't do it. If that's ok and you move on, then you're healthy. If not being able to log calories throws you into a panic, it's probably not healthy.

Any good habit, taken to the exteme can be bad.
  • ambercole
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes, but when I stop counting the calories i'm consuming I just gain all of my weight back. That is the only way I can lose weight. I figure that it is better to be healthy and a little obsessed than unhealthy and not care. :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    For me it's an accountability thing. It's kind of like putting together my fantasy team. What's the most food volume wise I can cram in without going over my salary cap.
  • fortiter00
    fortiter00 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I definitely think its a good thing. When I first started I would try and get to the computer to log each meal.

Now I try and plan out my next days meals the night before, that way I already know what meets my daily quota, and if I am thinking of going out for a meal, or something else, I can plan that into the equation.

Not having a plan, got me here, now I just have to follow a good plan, one day at a time.
  • smboyle
    Options
    I think its a great thing however, i don't plan on doing it the rest of my life. Having lost weight before and then gaining most of it back. It was calorie counting that helped me lose it the first time. But with a change in career and new medication, i gained most of it back. I'm new to this particular site, however I'm hoping reading everyones success stories will give me the motivation I need to lose it again. Good luck everyone!
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on counting calories for the rest of my life - but I do plan on eating healthy forever. For now I'm tracking calories to get a better idea of the nutritional value of foods. By tracking now I've learned a lot of foods I thought were healthy are less healthy than I thought they were. Frozen meals and deli foods are loaded with sodium (which I have to restrict) -- and a slice of pizza isn't the end of the world.

So for a few months I'll be looking everything up. After a while though, I'll be able to plan a day's menu and know the general range of the calories without looking it up.