Nocturnal calf muscle pulling

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
Once upon a time, I would occasionally wake up in the early hours of the morning due to an intense cramp in my calf. It happened maybe once or twice a year, and it would really hurt for a couple of days.

Over the past week or so, I've been waking up in the morning (probably about two hours before "wake-up time") with the same sort of calf cramp. The difference is that the cramp is much more mild and doesn't hurt afterwards. But it has been happening nearly every day!

I'm trying to figure out what's causing it. I do burn most of my calories using my feet (walking, hiking, kicking things in martial arts). But I'm also wondering if it's related to the fact that I sleep in an apartment with a fan but no air conditioner.

Replies

• steviegreeks
    steviegreeks Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it just means you don't have enough salt in your diet? I sometimes get these too and I find it's usually when I'm on my "super healthy" buzzes. Have you decreased this in your diet or been having more hard core sweat sessions? Just my experience :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    U need to drink more water. No, seriously......
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options

This.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Sometimes that happens when you're not getting enough potassium (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/nocturnal-leg-cramps-nighttime-calf-muscle-pain.html). I used to get leg cramps pretty regularly until I upped my potassium. Haven't had that problem for a long time.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Electrolyte shortage sounds more likely than water shortage since I'm drinking 3L a day. Time to start playing around with that.
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    Sometimes that happens when you're not getting enough potassium (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/nocturnal-leg-cramps-nighttime-calf-muscle-pain.html). I used to get leg cramps pretty regularly until I upped my potassium. Haven't had that problem for a long time.

This. Try eating more bananas. It fixed the problem for me.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Thanks for your help, guys. I was head-achy all day, too. Then I had a bag of chips (potassium AND sodium), and I feel way the heck better. Looks like proper hydration won't kill me yet. :)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's built-up lactic acid. Increase your water, potassium, and sodium intake and make sure to stretch and massage your calves often.
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This can be key, plus maybe a light body salts suppliment and more stretching out.

Those, combined, helped me in a similar situation, but mostly it was the water.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    potassium