How are you logging interval running (or C25K programs?)

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I logged running and walking separately, but sometimes I just logged by average pace over the whole duration as calculated by Runkeeper or the treadmill.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor. I also use the mapmyrun app to see my distance and the app gives you a calories burned number but it is always at least 100 cals less than the number my heart rate monitor says.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I logged running and walking separately, but sometimes I just logged by average pace over the whole duration as calculated by Runkeeper or the treadmill.

Runkeeper and C25k at the same time.
  • Casey1982
    Casey1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's exactly what I do - just say it's jogging (even though it's 1/2 jogging and 1/2 walking - or whatever it might be), but adjusting the calories to match the treadmill. If you're running outside, I'd say to log the walks seperately from the runs.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I start week three tonight (God willing) and I log in as slow a run as I can find: 12 min/mile. I run outside on a trail and I have no idea how long it is. Not the most accurate way to be sure, but I short-burn myself so I still come out ahead.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've just been logging it as full time spent, running, but slowing down the pace until calories burned match the lowest calories burned in one of the 3 GPS apps I run (yes, I do like gadgets!). I feel like an idiot for not thinking of splitting it up.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I log it as 1 calorie because I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Awkward, sorry!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't think its necessary to log running and walking separately.

Energy expenditure is a linear function of heart rate. Your HRM will give you an average Heart Rate for the whole workout. From that you can calculate the calories burned using the formula below, or an on-line calculator such as http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm. Companies like Polar, use equations of this form with different coefficients obtained from their statistical analysis of experimental data.

Men: C/min = (-55.0969 + 0.6309 x HR + 0.1988 x weight + 0.2017 x age) / 4.184
    Women: C/min = (-20.4022 + 0.4472 x HR - 0.1263 x weight + 0.074 x age) / 4.184
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I always just go by overall pace and distance. So, if I walk/jog/wog 3 miles in 30 minutes (including intervals), that is 10 minutes per mile and most "experts" agree you burn 100 calories per mile (for a 150-pound person and you can adjust according to your weight) so whether inside or out, I have my distance and my time (even without a Garmin, you can use mapmyrun, etc). I'm at 180 pounds so I burn 130 calories per mile (180 pounds is 30% higher than the 150-pound person per 180-150=30 divided by 150=30%) so I've burned 390 calories in 30 minutes. On a treadmill, for every 1 degree incline you burn 10% more calories (per article in Runners' World magazine). Of course, treadmills are notoriously INCORRECT in distance and speed so I had my calibrated to discover it was 28% inaccurate so I don't use my treadmill unless beastly hot or cold.

Any-hoo....without sophisticated equipment, if you know your miles you can estimate based on the 100 calories/mile but you don't really have to log walking and running separately as it walking or running both burn 100 calories per mile (another Runners' World article).
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I completed week 2 day 1 on Saturday and I created a new exercise in my log called C25K, wk 2, day1 and I logged the total amount of time and the calories burned according to my HRM. I agree with the posts about purchasing a HRM (if possible) because it does help alleviate the guessing work.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Basically, I just use the average speed overall from my Garmin and then adjust the calories according to what the HRM says.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've just started a couple of weeks ago too...I have an app on my android phone and it calculates everything for me. I just go out and do it....the app tells me when to walk, when to run, how fast I was, how far I went, etc. etc.

The app has made all the difference for me in regard to enjoying running!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've just started a couple of weeks ago too...I have an app on my android phone and it calculates everything for me. I just go out and do it....the app tells me when to walk, when to run, how fast I was, how far I went, etc. etc.

The app has made all the difference for me in regard to enjoying running!

Oh, I'm sorry....duh!! For logging into MFP, I use the overall calories burned and log it in as the slowest available pace for a light jog and time it took me. :)