Eating too much processed food

Options
Hello,

I think I am eating too much processed food. I am a working mother and it's easy for me to grab a lean cuisine or to eat a lower calorie fast food item for lunch and sometimes for dinner than it is to figure out what to make. My husband gets off work earlier than me and a lot of times makes dinner, but it's higher in calorie than I want.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I used to, I still eat a regular amount but I wouldn't say I eat too much anymore. Instead of convenience store food I'll get raspberries or blueberries, or a bag of steamed vegetables I can heat up in the microwave, even at work. If you like fish, it only takes 10 minutes to cook a half pound of fresh haddock, and you can bring that with you too.
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try to choose the least processed easy options of food such as steel cut or oatmeal(cook on sunday then preportion for the week!), tuna packets, bagged salads, plain greek yogurt(use low sugar jelly or fruit for flavor), or hard-boiled eggs. It also helps to cook over the weekend if possible then use or freeze for the week!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Can you make a few meals ahead of time and just reheat them when you do not feel like cooking?
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't work right now. When I did work 9hr days though, I would leave soda crackers, peanut butter, a bag of apples, oranges and bananas. Instant oatmeals and trail mix is also great. If there's a fridge bring tuna and mayo!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    yeah...i'm putting my husband through school while living with my parents, so we eat whatever they have, which is mostly processed. like the previous poster, i try to find more "natural" things (grilled chicken strips, even frozen, are better than cheetos) and i eat A LOT of fruit. ultimately i've lost 32 pounds while eating most everything i normally would, just watching my sodium and my portion sizes. i hope this helps!
  • julieanne0924
    julieanne0924 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks. These are great ideas. If I got in my mindset to watch what I eat, I can for sure get in my mindset to make better, more natural choices w/o all the sodium (I hope!).