How are you doing it? I seem to be stuck.

Options
Hey! I'm just wondering how are all of you managing to lose weight? I've been on my fitness and nutrition regime since the beginning of the month, but have seemed to plateau. I'm bouncing back between 229 and 230 lbs.

I'm wondering how you all broke this plateau and kept motivated.

I'm young, and sometimes it's hard for me to see what this will do for me long term. I'm just getting very discouraged and would like to hear from others as to how they managed to keep it up.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Y U NO OPEN DAIRY?!!?

I wants to READ! ...
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    Everytime I get a week of no loss, or even a bit of a game i change up my program. Now Im eating a cut of my TDEE and I go to the gym 3 times a week and I lose at least 2 lbs a week. Its not the same for everyone but I just keep trying new things until i get the results i want.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. What I do is keep on telling myself is that even if it doesnt look like it to me I'm losing weight (whether the scale says it or not). I also started keeping my measurements which has made a huge difference for me. I eat 1200 to 1350 calories a day and work out six days a week for 45 minutes. I also go for random walks to burn more calories. I try t and o eat as few processed foods as possible.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    It will help us help you if you open your diary.
  • fromabigail
    Options
    Y U NO OPEN DAIRY?!!?

I wants to READ! ...

I don't have an open diary because I'm on a diet from my doctor, so people may criticize my food intake. Lower amounts of calories, with lots of exercise. Although I'm finding it extremely hard to exercise due to the fact that I just haven't. So keeping up with say, the 30 day shred videos and stuff like that is hard.
    Everytime I get a week of no loss, or even a bit of a game i change up my program. Now Im eating a cut of my TDEE and I go to the gym 3 times a week and I lose at least 2 lbs a week. Its not the same for everyone but I just keep trying new things until i get the results i want.

See, i feel as if I had a gym membership that I'd do so much better! However, money's tight being a college student....so homemade workouts are what i'm going off of...it's hard to keep yourself motivated to exercise when there's nobody exercising around you. (at least that's what I find)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've been at this for under a month. You've had good success in a short period of time. there are many reasons things have slowed for you. I'd keep eating and exercise, and don't worry about a stall. If the math is right you will lose weight overtime.

Keep focused on the long run and don't stress over a short run stall.
  • fromabigail
    Options
    Well, I just opened my diary for everyone if they wanna take a peek. I'm not the best at updating it...that's something I should be better at doing too...
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    Do you live near a planet fitness? if so they have memberships for $10 a month! thats the gym i use
  • fromabigail
    Options
    I've never heard of Planet Fitness. I'm in Canada, so that's probably why. Where I live, there's really only Goodlife Fitness and YMCA gyms and other private ones. Even the YMCA has become expensive, costing about 25$ Bi-weekly, which is the same as Goodlife Fitness.
  • canalesdot
    Options
    You might not see it in weight but maybe in inches. take your measurements also see if you can modified something small or reduce something. I was like this for like 2 months but lost it inches and then I changed my one cup of coffe from whole milk to 2% and sugar free. It got me back loosing weight and been loosing a lb ever since. So look at your food and see if you make any changes.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that you body has a goal to MAINTAIN your current weight. In order to TRICK your body, mix things up a bit and change your routine. I just learned in a nutrition class that it's best to do cardio after strength training. It allows the muscles to better utilize the glycogen stores in the muscles for strength training and facilitates the burning of fat during cardio due to the lack of residual glycogen left over. Good luck and hang in there!
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Since I've joined I've actually gained 7 pounds. I have a friends wedding coming up and the dress I want to wear is to tight now. So I'm useing that as motivation to drop at least 3 pounds. I've completely cut out soda/fried food and spending money in general (I usually only spend money on naughty food)
    I heard of a eating clean diet/raw diet, which just means eat lots of fruits and veggie with nuts and what not, so I'm doing my best at that and reminding myself that "the longer you do something, the more it just becomes what you do".
    I also started meal planning on MFP the night before so that way I know exactly what to eat and how much, and if it changes that's ok! Good luck!
  • carment1960
    carment1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try this....for each meal try to get 15-25 gms of protein at each meal. ex: bf-plain greek yogurt with some fruit i add truvia in the yogurt and 3/4 cup blueberries or u can do cottage cheese or eggs or a protein shake the EAS shakes are good. For lunch u can do salads/vegs with 3 oz fish, chicken and dinner the same with 4 oz proten...limit ur snacks to 1 to 2 per day (fruit, veg, low fat cheese, yogurt jello or ice pops.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Is there somewhere at school where you can workout? A bulletin board where you can post that you are looking for workout buddies? Or a community/town run program, where you could get something like Zumba?

I just looked at your diary. It looks like you may not be posting everything. You need to weigh your foods and write down EVERYTHING you eat.

I question whether you are following the doctor's instructions properly, or if your doctor knows what he/she is doing. Significantly less than 1200 calories per day? I haven't heard of a read Doc suggesting that low of a calorie intake. Usually they say that below 1200 calories you don't have enough nutrition. AND, your body goes into starvation mode ... it thinks there is a famine, and slows your metabolism down.

As far as being stuck: Track your measurements! How do your clothes feel? You might be loosing fat, and replacing it with muscle. Muscle weighs more than than fat, which could impact your scale weight. Your goal should be to become fit, not skinny. Lose the fat, gain the muscles, and your weight will come, and you will be healthy.

And drink more water! I was stuck for 3-4 weeks, and on Friday I upped my water from about 8 cups per day to 10 or 11 cups. I finally saw a weight loss on Saturday, and have lost some every day for the past three days, totaling a full pound.

And, as far as what it will do for you: I have friends my age who have grandchildren your age. Here's my story:

I was small before I became pregnant with my first child. 105-110. (I'm 5'2") I was pregnant the first time I saw 115. After my baby, my body changed. I gained weight. I know I passed 180, but I don't know by how much.

I spent most of my adult life trying to loose weight. I've probably lost the same 20 pounds twenty times. I tried various diets, including something like you are eating, but they weren't anything that I could stick with.

How have I felt over the years? Much of the time I've been tired, sluggish. My brain felt like I have Alzheimer's. I haven't been able to do some of the fun things that I wanted to do, because I'd get too tired. I was depressed. Came a bit too close to suicide several times. I became pre-diabetic, and was threatened with the thought of all of the complications of diabetes. I had high cholesterol, which put me at greater risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes. I had a simple stress fracture, babied it in my couch potato ways, and ended up with a blood clot. I was lucky ... I didn't die, or have a stroke. Just a lot of pain. I forgot how to walk in the process, and am still having physical therapy.

Is that the kind of life you want? I decided it wasn't for me. I'm eating properly now -- following a low-glycemic diet, which keeps my blood sugar stable. I eat three meals, and three HEALTHY snacks every day ... I try not to go longer than 3 hours without eating, to keep my blood sugar stable. (A fluctuating blood sugar level causes cravings.) I don't eat white food: rice, sugar, salt, potatoes, flour. I eat natural, whole foods: brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grains. I eat almost no processed foods. I've lost 20 pounds, and am still losing ... slowly and steadily.

In addition to the twenty pounds, I've lost my lethargy, my depression, my sluggishness, my brain fog. I'm as active as I can be, although I'm still struggling with my injury. I am eager to get out and DO THINGS, which I haven't wanted to do. I WANT to be active.

Is it easy? Of course not! Is it worth it? Absolutely! Do I wish I'd done this when I was 22? Oh, yes. My life, and my children's lives might have been much different.

It kills me to see someone like yourself facing the mental and health issues that I had to face. It was so unnecessary!

So, it's up to you. Are you going to keep going on this route that you've been on, or are you going to buckle down, and just do it?

Good luck!