Running Success Stories

Options
I want to hear your success stories with running! I am 28, 5’6”, ~ 205 lbs and I carry most of my weight in the bottom half of my body. I have been doing the treadmill version of c25k 2-3 times a week. I run at a moderately slow speed as defined in the program. I barely finish the one minute of running and my heart rate can go as high as 180 sometimes. I am not going past phase 1 because I want to be comfortable with what I am at right now. I have worked on my breathing and form. Interestingly, I had the same struggle with running even when I was in the “normal” weight range. Its not become worse or better. It has stayed the same – my struggle for running. I can do other activities like elliptical or dancing for an hour without going out of breath. I am a thalassemia minor and that might play a part but it shouldn’t make it impossible. I want to hear your story about how you went from being as bad with it as I am to become a comfortable runner. I assume it got better with the weight loss but was there anything else you changed in yourself. Please share!

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, I started running this past January. First run out, I ran 5 minutes and felt like I wanted to die. I thought I was in reasonably good shape, I could do the elliptical for an hour, etc, but running always felt so much harder. Fast forward to today: just ran a long run of 8 miles with no stopping, and I'm training for a half marathon in September. It can be done! Just go slow, listen to your body....it really just takes patience and determination.
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    I was 28, 265lbs.

I had not worked out in over 10 years and I had had 4 children in this time, I didn't exercise afterwards to regain my body. I just let it go.
    When I started I couldn't run to the end of the block. I would run as far as I could and then walk, run, walk, run....
    I purchased a treadmill which helped with the embarrassment I felt when out in front of people.

That was 2 years ago, now I run 5 miles 3 times a week. At my best I was running 5 miles a day 6 days a week before I started lifting.

Now. I am 30 and 155lbs.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Not a huge amount to mine, so far, but it's plenty to me. I wasn't healthy as a child. I was thin, hungry and living off cheap junk food. I also had severe asthma, and I'd regularly end up in hospital after attacks. In my secondary school years, a few years before my asthma faded away at 16, I was forced by classmates to take part in the sports day. I avoided it every year, and they called me lazy and signed me up to the 200m run. I collapsed at the end.

Obviously, running was totally out of my reach, so when I started working on my health aged 23 (November 2010) it was the last thing on my mind. I forced myself to do exercise I hated, I tried everything and I spent a lot of money on equipment. I learnt about nutrition, and I learnt how to lose weight in a way that was healthy. One day, I just felt the urge to run a little. I managed about 200m again (didn't collapse this time), and decided to try it another time. I went once around the block at home about a week later, running a little but walking most of it. Even then, it took me four minutes - it was a short route. That was 20th Feb this year.

On 12th April I did my first non-stop mile, up to two miles on 21st April, a 5k on 30th April and 10k on 7th June. After that, I found myself struggling to do 2 miles again - came on here and asked for advice, and was told just to stick at it. Now, I'm running to a standard I'm happy with again. No official races yet - I'm doing my first 5k in October and my first 10k next May, but I'm enjoying it, looking and feeling better than ever, and just this week I took out my future sister-in-law. She was inspired to start running when she heard I was enjoying it, and she's signed up to the same 5k I'm doing. She told me last week that she'd only ever done 1.6 miles before and that she'd walked for some of it - I took her out and we did two miles non-stop. Running is a big part of my identity now - it's who I define myself as - but I guess amongst my own successes I've found that nothing beats inspiring and helping someone else.
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I started running in about 2004. At the start, I could *maybe* run for one minute at a time and everything hurt. I worked up to my first 5k that year which was a major accomplishment for me. Then, I sort of dropped it.

I started again in June 2009, about four months after having my first child. I started right back at square one with walking four minutes and running one minute, and built up until I could run 5k again. This time I kept at it until I worked my way up to a 10k, and raced my first 10k in October 2009. I ran pretty consistently until the summer of 2010, about ten weeks into my second pregnancy. I started running once again after having my younger son (born in March 2011, started running in May) and worked my way up to my first half marathon in October 2011. I ran two more Halfs earlier this year and I'm now training for my fourth Half. I've scheduled my fifth Half and my first 30k for March 2013 and will think about the full marathon after that.

All that is just to say, consistency is key. The results will come- just keep at it!
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    smoked from 1982 to Dec 30, 2011. pack a day plus when I quit, Drum rollies (no filter).
    Started running seriously to burn off the extra anxiety.
    Ran my first race, a 5k, on April 28th, finishing in 20:37.37.
    Ran my first 1/2 marathon on May 13th.
    Ran my first marathon on June 9th, running my next on Sept. 30th.
    I run 5 days a week now, and love it. I've also started biking recently, and if I can figure out how to swim without spending all my energy beating the *kitten* out of the water I'll consider some sprint Tri's to start.