VEGGIE PREP

Options
Ok so I know that (or think I know that) fresh veggies are better steamed because they retain their nutrients. First of all, is this true?

Secondly, how do you steam them? And is it bad to boil them, does it make them less healthy?

What about frozen veggies, what is the best way to prep them?

Sorry for the grand inquisition but since I'm already eating veggies (and like them) I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of them. Thanks in advance all :tongue:

Replies

• pammer22
    Options
    We made steaming really easy - Pyrex bowl, broccoli (or whatever you like) and then about 2 T. of water in the bottom. Put in the microwave for 5-6 mins and you are good to go!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you boil veggies that some of the vitamins are thrown out with the water. Don't know if it is true though.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    You ask is it bad to boil veges. I sometimes boil lightly, however, I am now using all liquid left over from veges in soup. I put the liquid into a jar and refridgerate. It is good in all soups including dry beans.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Steaming is basicly the same as boiling, but its ideal to keep the bulk of the food away from the hot water if possible. steaming breaks up the fiber in the cell walls so the food is easier to eat/break up , but I think that steaming doesnt take out very much of the nutrients because the food isnt sumberged in water, where the vitamins and minerals can disolve and be sapped out of the food. Boiling however I'm sure does. You can tell when you eat a boiled veggie that its probably not healthy because of its dull color, soggyness and mushy consistancy. you've destroyed everything in the veggie that's good for you with all the water and heat. Though, you can do the same to veggies if you steam them for too long, but its not nearly as bad as boiling. The ideal veggie is bright in color and still slightly firm in consistancy.

You should invest a couple dollars in a steaming basket...those weird foldy collander things that are bright shiny chrome with lots of holes in it. You unfold it and it looks almost like a pleated edged dish. You insert this into the bottom of a pot with a little bit of water in the bottom, and then pile the veggies in. Cover, turn stove on med/high and steam for 5 minutes or untill the veggie is soft but still bright in color. Add water if it runs out durring the cooking. its that easy.

Another great thing to do is invest some money in a rice steamer with a veggie basket. you can throw everything in at once and in 20 minutes that bad boy has a complete dinner ready. I've steamed shrimp in it along with veggies, its a very easy way to start eating healthier with minimal effort.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Never even saw a steaming basket, but you can rest assured I'll be looking for it next time I go to the store. As for the rice steamer, would I find that at like Wal-Mart? Or do I need to go to more of a kitchen store?
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Never even saw a steaming basket, but you can rest assured I'll be looking for it next time I go to the store. As for the rice steamer, would I find that at like Wal-Mart? Or do I need to go to more of a kitchen store?

They almost look like flying saucers, or some kind of steampunk satelite dish when they're unfolded, lol. you can find them easy on the kitchen gadget isle at walmart. http://images.asia.ru/img/alibaba/photo/50476641/Steamer_basket.jpg

As for the rice steamer, look in the small kitchen appliances section, next to the griddles and blenders and toaster ovens and whatnot. I bought mine at target. Look for something that looks like this: http://www.recipetips.com/images/glossary/r/rice_steamer.jpg See the extra compartment on top thats removable? That's your veggie basket.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    right, there is a leeching effect from vegetables when you boil them, which is why veggies boiled in soup is slightly better than veggies boiled and drained. BUT besides the breakup of fibers, heat can also destroy some vitamins. It's always best (if possible) eat veggies without any heat at all (I.E. salad), but barring that, steaming is better. Besides the steaming basket, you can also get a bamboo steamer, they fit over most medium sized pots and do the same thing, but they are usually easier to remove (you don't have to grab them by the hook at the top). And they come with their own top so you can remove them from the steam when they are done and not have to transfer them to another dish (I'm always in favor of less dishes to wash).