Help me eat less sodium

I eat way too much sodium.

I am living with my parents currently. My Mom is very...old fashion...in the sense that she does not want me to cook my own dinner. I don't eat meat. My family grills every night. I'm also not a huge fan of pasta. Once a week we have pasta. Every night I have a microwave meal, veggie burgers often or a smart one weight watchers meals etc....

I'm on my way out like right this second but take a look at my diary give me some ideas how I can eat healthy and why you think I'm getting this skinny fat/often bloated look. It has to be my sodium intake what kind of vegetarian option can I use that require limited cooking?

PS-I will eat chicken but I don't like it much and I ONLY like it baked or rotisserie. You should be able to view my diary even tho my profile is private. Thanks!

I have a quick second before my bus basically I want to know how I can eat cleaner, you'll get an idea of what I like looking at my journal, I know there a are a couple low days, wasnt feeling well so ignore those go a little further back for a more typical day although todays is a fairly typical day only I normally eat something frozen for lunch so... even more sodium is common anyways gotta go will post more later thanks is advance for help!

Is my lack of eating clean the reasoning behind my skinny fat look?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    pretty much anything that is already prepared in the grocery store is full of sodium. Also canned food. If you really want to reduce sodium, you almost have to switch to eating fresh.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Every single day in your diary, you have one item that easily accounts for your entire overage. On the 12th, for example, you were over by 1,548mg (and that was a very bad day). But your lunch was a Chick-fil-a sandwich with 1,660mg.

And the Joseph's Flax tortillas, the Amy's black bean soup/burritos, the packaged rice mixes, and the low fat dressing all seem to be consistent sodium sources.

At the risk of oversimplifying - each day find the one thing that had the most sodium, and find an alternative to it with less sodium for the next day you plan on eating something similar.

You honestly need a complete dietary makeover, but just ridding yourself of some of the prepackaged items will help out a lot.
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    It is honestly the prepared foods that are high in sodium. Maybe try preparing your foods in the kitchen WITH your mom? Talk with her, this would save money AND be healthier for you to make your own foods! I think that is where I would begin. I am also sure you can go through your diary and see the big sodium items, and replace those with alternative versions.

Salad dressing- you can make your own with some oil and red wine vinegar to save on a lot of sodium
    Boca burger- try grilling some extra firm tofu instead, or make sweet potato "burger" or your other own version of veggie burgers. You could make up a large batch of them and freeze them, and pop it on the grill when the rest of the family is grilling.

Other foods: Make yourself some bean burritos and freeze them in single serving portions, then you can pop them in the microwave whenever you want. etc
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    I eat way too much sodium.

I am living with my parents currently. My Mom is very...old fashion...in the sense that she does not want me to cook my own dinner. I don't eat meat. My family grills every night. I'm also not a huge fan of pasta. Once a week we have pasta. Every night I have a microwave meal, veggie burgers often or a smart one weight watchers meals etc....

I'm on my way out like right this second but take a look at my diary give me some ideas how I can eat healthy and why you think I'm getting this skinny fat/often bloated look. It has to be my sodium intake what kind of vegetarian option can I use that require limited cooking?

PS-I will eat chicken but I don't like it much and I ONLY like it baked or rotisserie. You should be able to view my diary even tho my profile is private. Thanks!

I have a quick second before my bus basically I want to know how I can eat cleaner, you'll get an idea of what I like looking at my journal, I know there a are a couple low days, wasnt feeling well so ignore those go a little further back for a more typical day although todays is a fairly typical day only I normally eat something frozen for lunch so... even more sodium is common anyways gotta go will post more later thanks is advance for help!

Is my lack of eating clean the reasoning behind my skinny fat look?

I think you already know the answer to your question. Microwave dinners and pre-prepped foods typically have a lot of sodium. You can reduce that by cooking from scratch or by eating only the low-sodium options.

I am confused as to why you say you don't eat meat, yet in the next line you say you will eat chicken. I hope you are not one of those people calling yourself a vegetarian.

Anyhow, since you are okay with chicken, maybe you can convince your mom to make chicken for dinner more frequently. Having fish a couple times per week is certainly an option. This will reduce your dependence on prepped meals. If your mom wants to make red meat every night, then you may have to have a more serious conversation with her about "not cooking your own dinner." I really can't understand how you eating t.v. dinners every night would be preferable than you cooking for yourself. Maybe you can suggest that you help her with the cooking and prepare something that you can eat.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Okay sorry I was in a rush before or I would have clarified further.

Let my tell you how my family eats. We live on the third floor of a triple-decker and only have AC in the bedrooms, the portable window ones which aren’t particularly effective on really hot days. So when we turn on the oven or the stove it gets really hot , really fast. So we try not to do that much.
    On the cooler days we have pasta.
    Every other day we order out or we use the grill. There are very few vegetarian option that you can cook on the grill that aren’t either A. Frozen or B. Meat. I cannot stomach any sort of red meat like steak and that’s mostly what my Father who’s on Aitkin’s cooks. I don’t eat fish, I don’t like it and it makes me sick. I don’t eat pork or veal and I really really really prefer not to eat chicken. I can do it but I really don’t like it.
    So no I don’t call myself a vegetarian. But I do eat a mostly vegetarian diet and I don’t think that makes me better then anyone. I simply don’t eat meat besides chicken because it makes me sick. It’s a health/life style choice. I should have clarified further that I simply meant I don’t eat beef, pork, veal, etc. I honestly get really grossed out eating chicken as well but I do it because it’s what my family eats and I feel bad always complaining about the food when my parents work hard to put that food on the table. So while I can’t stand to eat steak sometimes, yeah I force myself to eat chicken. Or I go out and I buy veggie burgers or meatless burgers and have my Dad throw those on the grill.
    I don’t want to be difficult, which is why I tend to stick to the easy, high sodium meals.
    As for Chick Fil A the other day I almost never eat fast food. It’s pretty rare that I eat fried food at all. But I work for DCF and we took the girls there for dinner. The staff is required to eat with the girls (long story, but it’s a rule for my job). Normally I bring my own food but that day I didn’t. Yes I could have gone with something healthier but…whatever I actually paid for it dearly later that night, so…
    Anyway…I know what the problems are, I just don’t really know how to fix them given my current circumstances. Yes this is my parents house but it’s not MY house you know? I have an apartment upstate but when I’m not in school my job is in Boston so I’m in Boston.
    It’s just I guess I’m not sure what I can eat when I really don’t eat meat and that’s all my family eats. And as far as take out goes I honestly feel like I’m almost better off eating frozen food then I am eating pizza or other high calorie options. At least then I know exactly what I am eating.
    So no I am not a vegetarian but I don’t eat any other meat besides chicken, which is what makes things kind of difficult sometimes. Such as at work when we have meals together, I have to bring my own food to the group home and it’s obviously easier just to bring something I can pop in the microwave.
    So I suppose I need low sodium clean food options that are cheap which I can make at home and freeze or easily take with me to work. Or perhaps some idea of what I can eat that requires minimal cooking on the nights my family grills, which is basically every night.
    PS- I was a vegetarian for a while prior to moving back in with my parents a couple months ago, it's a lot easier to keep veg out where I moved to then it is in the city. This is why I can no longer stomach many meats and honestly prefer NOT to eat chicken but I am for the most part okay with that. It doesn't make me as sick.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    pretty much anything that is already prepared in the grocery store is full of sodium. Also canned food. If you really want to reduce sodium, you almost have to switch to eating fresh.

^^ This. Almost all processed/prepared foods are packed with sodium. And certainly when you eat out, the food is almost always packed with sodium. There are some low sodium products (canned goods, etc.). And some specialty items (such as low sodium salsa, or no salt tortilla chips) that you can buy in certain specialty grocery stores.

I primarily eat fresh fruits and veggies, beans, rice, hummus. Most days I'm under sodium. If I eat out, I go over on sodium, unless I'm ubber careful with all of my choices that day.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Yup...what everyone else is saying for sure! Cut out the processed foods and make more of it yourself. I know I go high on sodium some days, but not very often. If worse comes to worse, drink tons of water to get rid of it quick!
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    you say the only grill options are meat or frozen stuff - yet grilled vegetables are delicious! throw some zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, onion, peppers etc on the grill. make your own hummus and use it as a dip for fresh raw veggies - healthy especially if you can find lower sodium canned chick peas and rinse them well and filling thanks to the hummus.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Salad some days? vegie kebabs for grill, grilled Portobello Mushrooms for meatless burgers.
    You do seem a fussy eater (ignore meat issue), cooking simple things may help, ask to help in kitchen or just do it.

Not your major issue but sea salt at home (1 pinch of this is same as 1 pinch table salt but) you don't need as much for flavour.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    I do low sodium 1500mg, it is not hard to keep within 1000-1500 if you can eat fresh. My diary is open if you want to peek
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    I am a really fussy eater you're right.

It's a bit immature of me but it's also a health things. I don't have the best stomach. I'm sick a lot. That's part of why I want to start eating clean.

I do love chickpeas and black beans quite a bit. I want to get a food processor and slow cooker when I can afford them as I feel this will make easy lower sodium option very doable for me!

Thanks for all your input. I do eat a lot of salad but the dressings I choice are normally very high in sodium. I honestly LIKE the test of the low fat or fat free stuff and I just can't bring myself to ruin a healthy salad with a dressing that has 17 grams of fat. Any dressings that are easy to make or buy that are lower in sodium and also low in fat? I like vinaigrette dressings, not a fan of creamy (things high in dairy make me sick)

I really do want to eat cleaner and feel better so I know I need to cut down on all this frozen crap. I do LOVE hummus. It's just my parents get all nervous when I just eat veggies starting whining about how I need protein and veggies aren't enough and I'm too thin etc. I probably weight about 15 pounds less then the 2nd lightest person in my family. They don't really watch what they eat quite as much. My Dad does low carb but honestly eats a lot of junk my brother and sister are both college kids so I'm sure you can imagine what they eat. My Mom is better but still think the way I eat is ridiculous and not enough food.

I suppose I'm just going to have to suck it up and start eating chicken more often. Despite not liking it much at all it is a lower sodium option that I can stomach.

I'll have to look into grilled veggies. I just feel like that will inconvenience my Dad who is used to just cooking meat. I just don't want to be any trouble or have to deal with more comment about my diet choices.

I will actually be moving out in September and back into my apartment with a new lease so I will be able to cook for myself more often! Hopefully this will help me in my goals to eat less sodium.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    I hear lots of feedback on the nutrition end, and agree with most of it. However, you are losing weight. Too much sodium would slow that down. Sodium will bloat you, which could be part of that skinny fat look. It can also cause high blood pressure, putting you at risk for stroke and heart disease. It is also a cause of osteoporosis.

The processed foods you are eating would make you malnourished, too.

So, yes, as the others have said, you do need to "clean up" your nutrition. (Not diet ... that's temporary!)

As far as the "skinny fat" look goes, however, there seems to be one thing missing in this equation. I see some exercise, but it doesn't look like it's consistent, and not greatly strenuous.

If you want to look skinny and fit, you need to workout more often, and with more energy. That will tone your muscles and help get rid of any fatty deposits. You'll look better, and feel better, too!

Good luck!
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    I would actually recommend an Epsom soak. *20 min in a hot hot hot hot tub. 2 cups of Epsom salt. 1 cut baking soda. Drink water before and after. Raise out of tub slowly and take a nice cool shower. This will help rid your body of any toxins. It is recommended to do this soak 1-2 times per week. :)

I'd also recommend grilling a bunch of veggie and fruit kabobs, maybe adding in a bunch of veggies to the once a week pasta meal? Also, LOTS and lots of water to help flush out the extra sodium. :drinker:

I 100% know where you are coming from. I was in the same boat exactly up until February. I finally just had to have a heart to heart with my mother. If I know there is something that isn't that awesome for me and my body I'll let her know and suggest I make a meal for everyone, or I make my own dinner that night. :flowerforyou:
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Also, if you can, for those hot days, I recommend smoothies (for breakfast or lunch) I love the "Green Monster" Smoothie.
    http://iowagirleats.com/2012/01/04/my-top-secret-diet-weapon/
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Well, do what you can to improve your diet. It does sound as if you're facing quite a few challenges at home and with yourself. As others have said, you could try preparing more fresh veggies. Many frozen foods have a low-sodium option nowadays/ Another idea is to season and marinate tofu or tempeh before grilling-- then your parents can't say you're not eating enough protein and you can use less sodium.

If you still have trouble reducing sodium, just try to consume more potassium-rich foods. I think there's been studies that show that the sodium-to-potassium ratio might be more important for your health than the exact amt of sodium (or at least it will mitigate some of the issues. So you could try to eat as much potassium as sodium. Here's a list: http://www.algaecal.com/potassium-foods-list.html

As for lower sodium dressings, just try plain oil and vinegar. I'm sure there are many low-sodium options for dressing at all, but I find I never need them & don't miss salt if the salad has enough of a vinegar taste.