Nurses/shift workers how do you count your calories?

Options
amyadell
amyadell Posts: 46 Member
I'm a nurse, working rotating 12 hr day and night shifts... It's really hard to figure how and when to enter your calories, especially on the night rotations... I went to a trainer/diet expert to inquire on such, and was told that no matter what, you MUST be eating at least small meals every 2-3 hours that you are AWAKE... Never more than four hours! I've been logging mine in each time under 6 different meals, and it really looks funny when I work nights... My 4am HAMBURGER is "meal one"... Then meal two is really breakfast when I wake up... Seems to be working...

How do you do yours?

Replies

• kirstiesharpe2209
    Options
    When I'm on night I totally reverse my days so I sleep all day, have breakfast when I wake up, then eat 2 meals (or snack on it depending how busy it is). The only problem will come when I swap back onto days but I havent been on nice since joining mfp
  • amyadell
    Options
    My schedule is gross.. Pretty much days/night/days/nights.. I try to sleep in until 11 on the first night and meal one will be lunch time... Right up until the midnight lunch... Then my next break I put that on onto the next days meals... I also will sleep all day... Or at least till 330 when my two 80 lb dogs say "GET UP MOMMY,,," and JUMP on me until I get up and walk them!!! ;) forced exercise plan... Haha!!!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Change your categories to match time periods.

Settings --> Diary settings --> "Meal Names"

Customize them to suit your schedule. I know a few people that break their day into 4 hour time chunks.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's hard huh! I just log it! As long as it's in there! Sometimes I get comments about having cereal for "dinner" so I shuffle it about a bit so it doesn't look quite so odd to others! I find it hardest when ive had a day off then going on to nites, as im up more than a "normal person" and then I need food when I've finished my shift, I sometimes log it as a snack. If you find a better way of doing it I'm always willing to try new ideas! (ps u nurses do a fab job!) x
  • amyadell
    Options
    It's hard huh! I just log it! As long as it's in there! Sometimes I get comments about having cereal for "dinner" so I shuffle it about a bit so it doesn't look quite so odd to others! I find it hardest when ive had a day off then going on to nites, as im up more than a "normal person" and then I need food when I've finished my shift, I sometimes log it as a snack. If you find a better way of doing it I'm always willing to try new ideas! (ps u nurses do a fab job!) x

One assignment I was on had breakfast pizza at a near by gas station, and after my night shift I would go get a slice and some beer... Imagine logging THAT for breakfast! Haha... The looks I'd get in the cash line at 8am were bad enough... The attendant would pick up for me and say "it's her evening!!!" hahaha!
    No, I have my meal settings set to "meal 1-2-3-4-5-6" instead of times or names... That way with all the flip flopping I can fit them all in... On the days switching to nights and being up more hours... After meal six, it goes to meal one on the next day... It's usually after midnight by then anyway...