Lapbanders?

Options
2»

Replies

• mamaholt80
    mamaholt80 Posts: 20
    Options
    I had the Lapband done on february 2012,I've 52 lbs since then.Feel free to ask me anything.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Had mine done the day before mamaholt. We've been buds all along this journey. Down 45 since surgery and 39 before surgery. Weight loss is slowing down but I'm still mostly following all the rules. Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was banded February 2009. Starting weight was 330, I'm 5'7", and 230 now. ... Im down 100 lbs, and have IDEALLY 50 more to go. I'd be happy with 35.

most days I like the band... other days I hate it.

Pros and cons to everything I suppose.

For you newbies... you HAVE to work at it. I really hope you understand that. I didnt. I had to learn the hard way and when I stopped losing, I got frustrated and started eating sliders. I was at a standstill for 6 months. Now, I eat 1800-2000 calories per day... and go to the gym 4-5 days a week (average burn is 650-750 per session). I'm FINALLY losing again, and trying my hardest to stick with it.

Good luck!
  • getnback2lola
    Options
    Thanks for the add about Lapband I am in the process of preparing to have the procedure and will be going to an information session next week and due to my insurance I have to track my diet and exercise for 3 months and then I can get scheduled for the surgery my goal is early January or Feb. Soooo tell me some of the pro's and cons to the lapband? I am knew to Fitnesspal and looking for some buddies too. Can we be friends lol would love to have the support and give it also. Baseema aka Lola
  • rms171
    rms171 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Had lap-band surgery in December 2007 and did not stick with the program; doctors, diet, exercise and fell flat on my face. I had the band tightened and thought that I would lose weight without having to do anything. I found out that ice cream goes down just as easily as after surgery. I went back to my surgeon about two weeks ago and started over from scratch. The band is a wonderful thing if you are honest with yourself. Do not expect a magical cure from it. The band is a partner in your journey, not the leader. The band cannot get you out of bed and onto a treadmill, nor can it ensure that you are measuring your food and eating slowly and completely. The band cannot stop you from eating and drinking at the same time (a big lapband no-no). What it can do if you play by the rules is give you the sensation of feeling full. Since I had my band fixed and re-engaged with the doctor, quite honestly, I have lost a lot of interest in eating and am struggling just to meet my nutritional quotas each day. The lap band journey is about you, not about the rubber device implanted in your stomach. You can do it.
  • suegmune
    suegmune Posts: 81
    Options
    Had lap-band surgery in December 2007 and did not stick with the program; doctors, diet, exercise and fell flat on my face. I had the band tightened and thought that I would lose weight without having to do anything. I found out that ice cream goes down just as easily as after surgery. I went back to my surgeon about two weeks ago and started over from scratch. The band is a wonderful thing if you are honest with yourself. Do not expect a magical cure from it. The band is a partner in your journey, not the leader. The band cannot get you out of bed and onto a treadmill, nor can it ensure that you are measuring your food and eating slowly and completely. The band cannot stop you from eating and drinking at the same time (a big lapband no-no). What it can do if you play by the rules is give you the sensation of feeling full. Since I had my band fixed and re-engaged with the doctor, quite honestly, I have lost a lot of interest in eating and am struggling just to meet my nutritional quotas each day. The lap band journey is about you, not about the rubber device implanted in your stomach. You can do it.

You put it perfectly. :) If only more people would understand this, people would have greater success, and people around us that know we got the surgery would understand that it IS A LOT OF WORK, not a magical cure :)

Anyone who wants to add me, feel free. I could use more people on my list :)
  • candeebandland
    Options
    Only 60?!! : ) Celebrate that 60 because it's GONE!!! It's up to you to get the other 60 off.....I'm right behind you banded in 2010...and had only really lost 60 but in January I pushed adding the fitness aspect to my plan and another 25-30 lbs has come off!! : ) So new banders realize it's not going to WORK if you don't! : ) I had to learn that the hard way......the first 30-40 lbs fall off the rest is up to us!
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options

You put it perfectly. :) If only more people would understand this, people would have greater success, and people around us that know we got the surgery would understand that it IS A LOT OF WORK, not a magical cure :)

Anyone who wants to add me, feel free. I could use more people on my list :)

I agree with both of you!! This is SOOOOOOOOO not an easy way out at all..

I actually started a blog about my journey in April 2011 because I was tired of people thinking it was the band doing all the work.

I try to blog weekly. Its called Eating For Real. Because let's face it.... I like food. Feel free to read/follow.

http://realliferealeating.blogspot.com/2011/04/beginning.html
  • getnback2lola
    Options
    I just went to the information session last night whewwwww that man can talk lol however very informnative I am begining my 3 month supervised diet now will see primary care next week. I think My Fitness Pal is a good way to track my diet/exercise. I'm soooo motivated to get healthier. I believe the lap band is the right thing for me about to get started on this mountain of paper work ughhhhhh LOL I would rather be exercising. :tongue:
  • idididitidid
    Options
    wow amazing to see so many bandits :)
    I had a band just 5 days ago so at the liquid stage and weight is dropping off. I know once I start eating foods will need lots of support and motivation so glad to have found this app/site.
  • capabledesire
    Options
    I had my band placed 3 years ago. Add me if you would like.
  • tsign36
    tsign36 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been banded 2 weeks as of exactly right now! :) Things are good, I go tomorrow for my surgery follow up to see how things hae healed. Started at the gym yesterday and very much in the mood for REAL chewable food! I am though fearful of real food as I don't want to mess up. I am trying so hard, doing everything I need to, I just want to stay focused as much as I can and when I start to think about things in a negative way or about food as I had before I try to think to the day of my surgery and the struggle to walk around that day and it helps me refocus! Please add me if you are looking for others.... sites like these do make a difference and recording my food intake is a big part of my hopeful success!