Anyone else have unsucessful WLS?

Options
I had the lap band surgery in Sept of 09, I lost about 40 lbs, NOT what I was going for. I got under 200 tho so I was happy. Well in January it broke (most excruciating exerience of my entire life, and I've given birth without meds). Since then I've gained 25 lbs. It's very frustrating to be almost back to my pre surgery weight in such a short time and quite depressing. Are there any others out there in a similar situation? Do you find it's harder to loose weight now than it was before?

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    How & why did it break?????
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    my lapband failed. 2006, lost 20 lbs.....paid $17,000 (my insurance wouldn't cover it). 4 mos later, emergency surgery to remove it. My body rejected it. UGH>

I went on to lose 125 lbs low carbing....but alas....life (and a stoopid man) got in the way and I gained most back. I'm back in the saddle again...the MFP way. :)
  • Curvy_princess
    Curvy_princess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have not had lap band.. but im sorry to hear what your going through..
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine , ruptured and was left with two stomachs , she did get down to about 60 kg with it. Last time I saw her she was probley about 120kg. And has had to have corrective surgery .
  • love2nicks
    love2nicks Posts: 21
    Options
    two stomachs! Wow! I'm sure that was excruciating !!!

I don't know why it broke but the how is the tubing that goes from the port to the band fractured and was basically flapping around in my insides for a few days until the right person figured out what was wrong with me. 4 days inpatient with a dilaudid drip :(

Deedlyn how did your body reject it? What happens? I'm sorry that happened :(
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You haven't had the easiest route for sure - but we can help you avoind putting the rest back on - and losing some more is an option, hopefully.

Start with not trying to diet - just get in your foods in a health way - get in your water, get in your exercize...once you are back on that wagon, then you can focus on losing.

Go to a half-price books, or mcays or such and get several volumes of "eat this, not that" they are volume solutions to avoid too many calories. For example, you can have a whole pineapple core for the calories of 2 chocolate chip cookies.

It isn't an all-out solution but I will be your buddy if you need it.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you had this experience, that must have been awful.

I had my Gastrectomy in March of this year, and it's been great. I can honestly say it's one of the best things I've done...I wish every single person could say that about theirs!

Prior to mine, I did a TON of research on the 3 main types of WLS. The classis RNY, the newer Lap Band, and the Sleeve Gastrectomy. What the research indicates is that the Lap Bands simply don't work over time. Many, many surgeons have stopped doing them, and a ton of insurances just won't cover them due to their ineffectiveness. I never even considered this an option. My surgeon won't do them anyway, so it was a no go for me.

I'm on another forum, where all of us are WLS patients. I've seen quite a few people do revisions from the Lap Band to a RNY. Have you ever considered this? It may be the way for you to go, especially since you've already tried one surgery :)

I love MFP, and use it daily to track my protein, but the amount of support here that is available for surgery patients is minimal at best. It appears that it's seen as the 'easy way out' and the comments are a bit disheartening. PM me if you'd like to chat..

I wish you the best of luck!!
  • love2nicks
    love2nicks Posts: 21
    Options

I won't be doing any form of WLS ever. This was enough to sour me from it. I think I can do this on my own, finally. I'm just really wanting faster results ;)

The surgeon that did my lap band won't do them anymore either. I don't think there are too many left in my area who will.
  • wifeydevine
    wifeydevine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve 4/26/12, I've lost almost 68 pounds and am off all blood pressure meds and PCOS pills