which is right??

Options
Hi all i need a bit of advice please, i only have 10lb to lose to reach my goal but i seriously need to tone up. Up until 2 years ago i lived in the gym and really liked weight training but my trainer always set me 3 sets of ten reps on the heaviest weight i could manage but still complete the reps. Now the thing is i have rejoined the gym as i let it all go and i'm starting again but the new trainer there is telling me i shouldnt train that way i should lower the weight and up the reps per set. Which is right???

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't know who is right - trainers can use several methods to get their clients in shape.

Did you like how you looked when you were with your old trainer? Are you wanting to look like that again or going for something different?

I personally prefer the higher weight with lower reps. I try for failure at 6-10 reps. I don't go heavy every time I lift - it just depends on how I feel, however most days I like to lift heavy.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    well i certainly lost weight with my old trainer although i was at least 14lbs heavier when i started with him than i am right now and i left before i saw the total goal weight result. I dont have a comparison since ive never done low weight high reps but i dont feel like im working hard enough when i do that. I'm struggling to lose weight as it is i need to build the muscle to help with it
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Different schools of thought. When I am training for strength its 5x5 at 90% effort. If I can complete set 5 weight is too light. For endurance its 50% weight till it burns like hell. 3 set of 8 or 10 will still give great results.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Here's what I was taught:

3-5 reps = strength & power
    6-8 reps = some strength & some hypertrophy
    9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

Others may have the numbers a little different. It depends on your goals. I'm not interested in hypertrophy, so I do a low rep 5x5 program.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

Others may have the numbers a little different. It depends on your goals. I'm not interested in hypertrophy, so I do a low rep 5x5 program.

well i dont want hypertrophy i dont want to end up bigger but do i want strength and power or do i want endurance?? ultimate aim is to tone up not bulk up
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I prefer heavier with lower reps. Gets the job done, and gets the job done in less time! :happy:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

This is what my trainer told me last thursday.

We do mainly in the 13-15 rep range.. and I get decent strength and decent sized muscles I feel.

I know some people are very you must lift 5X5 and if you don't then you will die.. but personally, I'm not looking for massive gains in strength. I'm doing it more for vanity, and for that what I'm doing is working perfectly.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

This is pretty close to right if you ask me. So do what you want to get the results you want. I do like the advice of your original trainer though. And I don't care for the advice of the new one.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Both have value.
    I alternate these options, because I need strength and endurance.
    Do both :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

well i dont want hypertrophy i dont want to end up bigger but do i want strength and power or do i want endurance?? ultimate aim is to tone up not bulk up

I wouldn't worry about bulking up if you're eating at a deficit, and you aren't supplementing testosterone, it's next to impossible for a woman to bulk up. The hormonal response that drives fat loss is best accomplished by heavy lifting, which is defined by low reps. If I were you, I would go with a low-rep, full body lifting 2-3x per week. It's worked wonders for my body- I've lost a ton of inches and 2 pant sizes even though I've only lost 13lbs. I would recommend looking in to Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of Lifting for women for a well designed program.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

Don't worry, weight lifting as a form of exercise isn't going to make you "bulk up." If you did it with the goal of getting bigger in mind you'd be working a lot harder than just a few exercises at 10 reps with 3 sets. No worries there. Like I said in my other post. I agree with the first trainer more. You will be stronger and, in my opinion, "tone up" quicker.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I know some people are very you must lift 5X5 and if you don't then you will die..

It's the 6th rep that kills you. True story
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    It's simply a matter of what you prefer. New studies have shown that both approaches give the same results.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    thanks everyone i think i'll stick with the original trainer and see how i go. i'm not good on feeling like i havent worked hard and i did enjoy it before just never quite got to the end goal. Will keep you posted how i do. :)
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Both have value.

Never thought of doing both! Nice idea!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

This is wonderful, thank you for posting!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Both have value.

Never thought of doing both! Nice idea!
    People act like these methods are mutually exclusive.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

9-13 = hypertrophy
    13+ reps = endurance

I wouldn't worry about bulking up if you're eating at a deficit, and you aren't supplementing testosterone, it's next to impossible for a woman to bulk up. The hormonal response that drives fat loss is best accomplished by heavy lifting, which is defined by low reps. If I were you, I would go with a low-rep, full body lifting 2-3x per week. It's worked wonders for my body- I've lost a ton of inches and 2 pant sizes even though I've only lost 13lbs. I would recommend looking in to Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of Lifting for women for a well designed program.

+1 In order to get big you would need to lift while eating a calorie surplus for a long time. Doing it at a deficit will give you a small amount fo size gain and decent amount of strength gain for the first few months at which point strength and size gains will stall until\unless you start eating at a surplus.