Is it better to eat before or after a workout?

Options
Im planning to get up at 6 A.M to to go walking every morning, so I was wondering...do i eat breakfast before i go or when i get back?...wouldnt it make more sense to do it before so i can burn it off? also I plan to go jogging for another half an hour around 7 in the evening starting tomorrow. should I eat dinner before or after?...haha. sorry to sound dumb, im just new to all of this:embarassed:

Replies

• jt041987
    jt041987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Both. You need fuel before your workout to go farther. And when you eat after it all goes to repairing your muscles. Try 25 grams of carbs and 25 of protein before and after
  • naughtyfushsia_wechnaged
    Options
    hiya, breakfast b4 ya go is a must as your body needs fuel, as for your main meal if you can depending on your lifestyle, have main meal around 5 - 5.30 pm then by the time you go on your jog, its been digested and your ready to go lol trouble is the later you eat your main meal the less likely you will burn it off and it will just "sit" there it is also recommended that its best to not eat after between 7.30 and 8.30 pm as your body would go into sleep mode as its getting itself ready for bed and the main meal would "sit and stew" lol hope this made sense lol best of luck with you loss and you will achieve your goals in no time x
  • jt041987
    jt041987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In that situation eat after so you give your metabolism
    a chance to stay running cause it slows at night when you sleep.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I cant eat before I work out, it seems to want to come up. I dont think working out after a meal is what burns those calories off, a daily deficit does.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I cant eat before I work out, it seems to want to come up. I dont think working out after a meal is what burns those calories off, a daily deficit does.

THIS is correct.

It doesn't matter. Eat when you're hungry & stick to you're macro goals.

Also, I'd include some resistance training :) It helps in the long run.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've heard both ways. To burn early and then eat, and eat and then burn. I would say to do whatever makes you feel better. If eating before gives you the energy for a better workout, then go with that. If you find you aren't hungry before, then go ahead and work out. Good luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just personal preference for me is to eat before. I think I would pass out if I worked out while hungry, and I know if I were hungry I couldn't push myself as much.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Im planning to get up at 6 A.M to to go walking every morning, so I was wondering...do i eat breakfast before i go or when i get back?...wouldnt it make more sense to do it before so i can burn it off? also I plan to go jogging for another half an hour around 7 in the evening starting tomorrow. should I eat dinner before or after?...haha. sorry to sound dumb, im just new to all of this:embarassed:

You can walk on an empty stomach if you can manage that for the morning one, that way you have a breakfast to look forward to when you finish.

Regarding your evening run, do not eat less than two hours before you run, this gives you time to for your food to "go down" before you run. Besides which, during the digestion process, the heart speeds up, you don't want it doing that before you start your run because it will speed up even more then and that is unnecessary stress.
  • boobs4ears
    Options
    I normally have something small before, smoothie, cereal bar, banana etc then 'proper breakfast' after.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Personally I do both. Well, actually Im a little bit of a Samwise Gamgee at breakfast, I have a banana on the way to the gym, a protein shake during lifting and eggs after. I hate eating the banana (this morning I had a turkey steak, blach!) but if I dont eat before I go I get REALLY hungry during my workout. I have to force it down, but its worth it.
  • SunflowerRox
    SunflowerRox Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys! Ill take it all into consideration :happy: :happy:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Lotta broscience mixed in with decent advice here. It does not matter for walking in the morning. If you were doing some running or heavy weight training in the morning, then you would want at least a little something for fuel, but it would not affect body composition at all. For later workouts the food you have eaten throughout the day will be fine unless you have gone a long time (like 4+ hours) without eating prior to training.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Lotta broscience mixed in with decent advice here. It does not matter for walking in the morning. If you were doing some running or heavy weight training in the morning, then you would want at least a little something for fuel, but it would not affect body composition at all. For later workouts the food you have eaten throughout the day will be fine unless you have gone a long time (like 4+ hours) without eating prior to training.

Second on the broscience: Walking it doesn't matter much, but running and weights I can't do on empty. A low-cal protein bar usually does it for me 1.5 to 2 hrs before, or just working out 1.5 to 2 hrs after a meal. If I eat too close to the workout though, cramp city. And I usually eat more after the workout than before.