Post Anorexia Eating/Exercise

Options
Hi all,

I'm a 27 year old former anorexic returning to a diet and exercise regime after a 5 year break. In my first year of university I was paranoid about my weight and suffered spates of anorexia. Between going to the gym 3 times a week and eating very little, my weight dropped, and it is only now that I look back on photographs that I realise how thin I was.

Now after 5 years of quite a sedentary lifestyle I have decided I miss the challenge of the gym and the motivation it gave me, and that I would like to try and tone up my new fuller figure. My eating habits are still shaky, and I can go all day without eating and not notice, which is a throwback to the easting disorder which I have never really shaken off. As I am embarking on the Couch 2 5K Challenge, I was advised that it was important that I regulate my eating in conjunction with this change of lifestyle to make sure I don't slip back into old habits.

Trying my level best to eat three full meals a day, and seeing my calorie intake as a goal in itself. As my counsellor told me, you are never a CURED anorexic - you are a RECOVERED anorexic. Here's hoping this planner and the C25K training will help me improve my wellbeing and my relationship with food!

Love to all,
Liz

Replies

• recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Welcome Liz!! It's awesome that you are keeping a great perspective on things.

It's tough managing a ED, as many people don't realize how really insidious of an issue it is and how much work it takes to fight ED. The fact that you have recognized it and are working towards overcoming it is absolutely AWESOME to hear!!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You can use MFP as a tool to plan/reach your calorie goals, but be careful, as sometimes calorie counting can be a trigger itself. I would stay in contact with your counselor and heed their advice as far as your diet/fitness goes. There is a lot of support here for eating disorders, but there are also many people on here with disordered eating. Be careful who your friends are. Seek supportive, positive people who can help motivate you to build a strong, healthy body and work toward a healthy relationship with food.

God bless and best of luck to you. ♥
  • badideasbear
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Nice to see such a supportive bunch.

Regarding the calorie counting, strangely I never did during my illness. I just stopped eating. Food made me feel sick during the earlier phases, and a relapse was mainly due to an ex boyfriend who told me I was fat, and pretty much dictated what I ate. I had no idea about calorie content and the little numbers on the side of packets meant very little. I am actually now rather surprised to find that my calorie intake (if I cut out my usual junk food which I have been eating instead of meals for the past 5 years) has needed a boost. Final meal of the day was an "I should eat" one rather than an "I'm hungry!" one.

The comment on today's food entries says a lot!