How do you go to sleep at night?

Options
I can say one of the worst habits I have ever picked up is going to sleep at one in the morning night after night. Whether I have to get up at 7 or able to sleep in, that is my regular bed time. This is obviously causing havoc on my body and I'm aware of it but even if I tell myself all day that I need to be in bed by eleven, it never happens. I have a hard time shutting myself down and since my kid goes to be at 8, it's the only "me" time that I have so I take advantage of it.

Anyway, I know going to sleep early would balance out a lot of things in my life. So what are your night practices that get you to bed at a reasonable hour?

Replies

• sammiliegh
    sammiliegh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'd love to responses to this too!

I also do the same, once my son is in bed, it's "me time"..and that is the only me time I get! So, I use it haha
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Some nights, the only reason I get any sleep at all is Melatonin. I HATE having to depend on a tablet for something that should come naturally like sleep but I've struggled with insomnia since my early teens and it is truly miserable!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I make an effort to 'unplug' before I go to bed. No tv, no computer, no phone, I just lay in my bed with some low light and a book. It definitely takes a little getting used to but if you force yourself to do it for a week, it'll get easier.

And if all else fails, Tylenol PM. :wink:
  • llw1013
    llw1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bottle of melatonin too. It seems that the older I get, the less sleep I can get. I have sometimes tried half a benadryl and sometimes 1 Tylenol PM, but neither is very effective and I'm dragging myself out of bed in the mornings....
    I'm going to try the melatonin tonight.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I am the same, don't like going to bed as feel I'm wasting my life sleeping and why should I go to bed early at this age? Lol!! Of course the next morning I am like a zombie who needs lots of tea to function.

So I have been of no help at all.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I make an effort to 'unplug' before I go to bed. No tv, no computer, no phone, I just lay in my bed with some low light and a book. It definitely takes a little getting used to but if you force yourself to do it for a week, it'll get easier.

And if all else fails, Tylenol PM. :wink:

^^This! I have to get up at 5:30 every day for work, and so I really can't stay up too late, or I'm a zombie. I love being a night owl, but just have to force myself to relax. A glass of red wine, a good book, and I'm usually off to sleep.
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I go to bed after midnight and up at 5-5:30 every day.....I usually wake up 1-2 times per night. I have awful sleep habits.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I take some Tylenol PM an hour or two before bed - it's the only thing that works for me :(
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    wow this topic is right on par with how i feel today. I have heard about melatonin. Going to try it out!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it matters when you go to sleep, the important thing is getting enough sleep. I only force myself to sleep at a certain time if I have to wake up early, usually sitting in bed and reading helps. If I can sleep in I just go to bed when I'm tired.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but I like to lay down and close my eyes.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have what I call my wind down time. I get home from work at 10:45 pm as a rule. I have a little dinner, shower, and crawl into bed with a book. DH understands and leaves me alone during this period of time. If this fails I just find a comfortable position and meditate. Next thing I know its morning.
  • skinnygirl078
    skinnygirl078 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of Trazodone!
    Chronic insomniac, definitely medicated.
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I listen to podcasts on my iphone. Some great inspirational stuff that I don't get around listening to during the day :-)
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was the same. Actually worse. For years I have not gone to bed before 3 or 4 am and been up no later than 7:30-8 (it's when the kids get up). I've tried forcing myself to go to bed earlier and it just doesn't work. So, I had my husband start waking me up when he got home from work (he works 4:30 pm-5am). After two days of waking up at 5:30 am I started easily going to sleep somewhere between 9 and 11 and waking up on my own between 5 and 6 and I feel great!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I go to bed with my husband around 9:30 (he gets up around 2:50 a.m.) and if I can't fall asleep after a half hour or hour I get up. Many nights I get back up - but what are you gonna do - I have dealt with sleep issues for what seems like forever...
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used to take Tylenol PM before bed and it really did knock me out and I slept great... however, when I woke up I felt like I was in a haze for most of the morning. I have taken Melatonin before, but it seems to take a little longer for it to kick in. It works though.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I just go to bed at 11am if I have to be up early. Gentle music; visualise landscapes... eventually, will nod off!
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Melatonin gave me very vivid and very bizarre dreams, I hear some other people have the same problem, so I guess just be aware of it if you haven't tried it yet :) It will make you sleep though :)
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Get some Lavender for your room, Go to bed at a reasonable hour and read a little. I dont have a TV or take my laptop into my bedroom as I know I wouldnt switch off. A warm bath should also help you to switch off. Try and avoid meds, as your body could start to depend on them better to train yourself to do it naturally. Lavender is great to have in the bedroom its a natural relaxant.