Too much protein cause weight gain?

Options
So I have started lifting heavier weights and I started eating meat again. I gained around 4 pounds in the last week. I don't know if it is because I am building muscle or eating too much protein. I average 70-85 grams a day of protein.

Any advice or tips? Thanks so much.

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's water and glycogen weight from lifting and it will go away shortly.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When you are at the gym, check your body fat %, not just your weight. That will tell the truth.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have recently started on the weights and my loss has pretty much stalled. One thing that is keeping me really well motivated is how good I am looking after the 6 weeks. There is no doubt that I have lost inches where it matters and that is what I am after.

The scales could say I was 250lbs so long as I was in a UK size 12. :tongue:
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that my weight stalled when I started lifting heavier weights but i really did like how my body was looking. I got so frustrated I took a couple days off from exercise and upped my calories for a couple days and dropped 5 pounds.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    I lost 2 inches in each thigh. But my pants are tighter around the waist. I also noticed my chest improving. I am going to stick with it but I cannot for the life of me lose weight. I have been stuck at this weight for about a year. However, I am losing inches so I am not going to beat myself up.

I don't go to the gym. I only have a scale and a tape measure to check on my progress (or lack thereof.)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about? Glycogen is depleted when you perform any type of exercise. The OP can't lose weight, because they're consuming too many calories.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Fitnesssocial, I was at a 1200 calories diet for over a year. Nothing changed so I went to 1400 calories a day and still nothing. So I went a few days at 1600 calories and started to gain weight. So I went back to 1200.

How is 1200 too many calories?
  • iamkatyg
    iamkatyg Posts: 17
    Options
    1200 is too little I think. A friend of mine was advised by a PT to up her cals to 1800 per day and she lost 5lbs in a week. You just have to tinker with it. I think as long as you aren't eating crap and the cals that you're consuming come from clean foods, then you can't go wrong. And even if it's not dropping off you'll surely feel much better anyway...
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Fitnesssocial, I was at a 1200 calories diet for over a year. Nothing changed so I went to 1400 calories a day and still nothing. So I went a few days at 1600 calories and started to gain weight. So I went back to 1200.

How is 1200 too many calories?

Don't let people diagnose you until you've given your new routine a fair try. The protein and exercise will do you good, but weight is just too unreliable. Focus on your body fat or measurements to find out if your changes are working.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Its probably water. Since Ive been lifting heavy for about 4 weeks I have only lost 2 lbs. Profile pic is the difference lifting has made. Those jeans fit 4 wks ago.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about? Glycogen is depleted when you perform any type of exercise. The OP can't lose weight, because they're consuming too many calories.

Muscle when stressed will make it hold water, not from glycogen but from the exercise itself as the trauma is repaired (increased blood flow to the area). Esp bad in legs and is why you don't train legs from 10 days out from comp so not to blur detail. Not carbs, blood flow (and so increased water as blood is a large percentage water).