Cooking healthy for dummies?

Options
Scardame
Scardame Posts: 8
Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can go to learn how to cook healthy? I am a lousy or rather out-of-practice cook and don't even understand some of the terms that are used in recipes. In addition, I will be cooking for one and am on a limited budget so not only do I need to learn to cook, I also need to learn to cook with fewer ingredients.

I've been reading some of y'alls recipes and they are pretty much freaking me out with all of the ingredients that either I don't like, (like yogurt) or how restrictive they are.

This is my first day and I really want to keep it as simple as possible. I won't be able to go to the grocery store until the end of the week and am hoping that I can find enough stuff on hand that isn't too fattening.

My Physician's Assistant gave me a list of items to buy but I don't know how to cook them. I just don't get what it means to cook something until it's done. I'm also lazy as all get out and much prefer to make something that I can eat for 2 or 3 days so I don't have to really cook so often.

Please accept my apologies for sounding like such a whiner. I'm having to fight all these excuses I've been using for years to not do this and am hoping for some direction to get myself past this particular excuse.

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can grill or bake up quite a few days worth of chicken breasts, round steaks or pork loin in less than an hour. Season them to taste, let them cool and put them in some tupperware. You can eat them as they are, slice them up for wraps, or dice them and put them into scrambled eggs or stir fry. Keep some salad greens, fresh veggies and fruit on hand and you can eat very well and healthy with minimal preparation time.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Cooking until "done" means exactly what it says. If something is "under done" it needs to cook more, if "over done" it needed to be cooked less.

Specific example: If you are cooking chicken and it is still pink in the middle it is raw and can give you food poisoning, so keep cooking it until it is white when you cut it in the thickest part and the juices in the chicken run clear. If the chicken is dry and stringy and burned on the outside, it is burned and past the "done" point.

For any meat, there is a temperature you need to heat the inside of the meat to so that you A. won't get food poisoning and B. won't have a tasteless charcoal briquet.

Here is a website on how to use a meat thermometer and what temperature you need to get the meats to so that they are safe: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm

Now if you are cooking something else to done like rice or pasta the same thing applies. Under done rice is crunchy, over done rice is glue, and tasty rice was cooked correctly according to package directions.

Cooking is pretty simple, but if you're starting out this basic I suggest finding a beginner's class locally. Good luck, cooking is a lot of fun.
  • Scardame
    Scardame Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you both for your suggestions. I'll have to check out that website.

I've been looking for some local classes and they are harder to find than I thought they would be. There were some to learn one dish that cost between $50 to $70 dollars which is way out of my price range. I've found a couple of free ones that are coming up and will be calling to see if they have any spots left.

I do wish I could find a beginner's class for basics. Maybe I will since I've just started looking.

Again, thank you.
  • carini_wini
    carini_wini Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Something that surprised me was couscous. It's ridiculously easy to make, and a decent side dish. All you do is boil some water (read the side of the box/package/whatever as to how much water to coucous) then when the water boils (or bubbles fairly violently) take it off the heat source, pour in the couscous, and let it sit there 5 minutes. Very fast, very simple. It's basically like tiny rice with half the hassle. Just add whatever flavors you like, steamed veggies, meats, sauces, seasonings, to make it taste like whatever you want.
  • iamkatyg
    iamkatyg Posts: 17
    Options
    I prefer quinoa to cous cous, it's much lower GI, cooked in a similar way to rice, and the body digests it as a vegetable protein rather than a grain based carb like rice or pasta... SO much better for you. You can sprinkle it in salads, make up a big portion with veg in it, I use mine instead of rice or pasta all the time. Helped me loads when I was first starting out dieting.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Visit your local library and browse cookbooks! I'm sure there is an actual "Cooking for Dummies" book that will describe techniques in general. There are also tons of technique books by specific authors from Jaques Pepin to Alton Brown and Martin Yan. Cooking Light magazine puts out annual bound compilations of their recipies, which are great because they have pictures and lots of variety. There are tons of 3-ingredient and 5-ingredient books out there, and specific books designed for any nutritional plan you might find interesting. Once you've gotten some ideas of what's out there, you can troll the web for whatever strikes your fancy. Have fun and good luck!
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love to use my friends and family as a resource when I cook new things. I started young and have a passion for cooking but it still surprises me to see how all the different people in my life go about cooking the same things in different ways. Just ask if you can watch. You'll have a fun time visiting and learn something new.

Get yourself a red and white checkered Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. They are super user friendly and have loads of instructional info, tips, tricks, and pictures. The newer ones also have little labels at the top of each recipe that say wether it is easy, low-fat, vegetarian, fast, etc. And a meat thermometer, for sure, till you have some practice under your belt.

Cooking really is fun, and therapeutic. The ultimate bonus is, who knows what tastes/looks good to you better than you?!

Good luck, have fun, and if you'd like to add me feel free. I'm always down to help with cooking questions. :happy:
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Also check out local stores that sell cooking stuff... like Williams Sonoma. They often have periodic cooking classes for free as a marketing technique.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You must know someone who can show you how to cook a meal! Get some easy healthy groceries and then cook it with them. With meat, i found that it takes practice. Chicken will turn WHITE once its cooked, and it must be cooked all the way through. You do not want pink in the middle. As for red meats such as steak, i would try to have it only slightly pink inside, just so you know its cooked. With time you will feel more comfortable and will know when itll be ready. When its pink in the middle, it'll be very tender, but if its all brown, its very cooked, maybe even overcooked. I always try new things, and will follow a recipe if i need to. p.s invest in measuring cups!!! Very important.

Something easy to make, a stir fry!!! Buy broccoli, cauliflower, white onion, 1 canned mushroom, soya sauce, boneless chicken breast, green or red peppers.

Turn on burner on medium to high heat, wait a few seconds & add a dollar size amount of olive oil in the pan. Move the pan around so the oil will be all around the pan.. It'll probably sizzle which is normal, if it starts to bubble so much its spitting hot oil on you, turn the burner down . Cube fresh chicken *if bought frozen, thaw out completely* (basically cutting them a BITE SIZED, it does not need to be perfect) in small pieces, put some pepper on it to your desire, and put it in the pan. You will need to stir it so they do not stick to the bottom. Let the chicken cook a bit ( it should be white on the outside, you can cut it to see how cooked its getting in the middle, if still raw (pink in middle), let it cook more until its almost done - as in almost cooked all the way through) once chicken is cooked, add in vegetables. Cook only for a few minutes as vegetables can get soggy very quickly. Also add in soya sauce. As much as you would like. You will need to taste it to see if it needs more flavor such as more soya sauce, satl, pepper, garlic powder, etc! Keep stirring until onions have browned a bit and vegetables are cooked.

You can also buy then frozen which are usually already cooked and taste just as good, if you choose to buy from frozen, thaw then out first then toss them in with the rest of the veggies! It just takes patience and practice. Also you can find easy recipes online and even use youtube.com for video recipes! Im sure it would be helpful! Heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iySh6GsTnPc&feature=related
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I like How2Heroes website, they have recipes for healthy cooking, and every recipe has a video that show you exactly how to cook it... It's pretty much easy... Enjoy

Link
    http://how2heroes.com/videos/healthy-eating
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Look up Clean Eating by Tosca Reno. Clean earing is simple eating. But you can still be simple with flavourful herbs and spices.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com taught me how to cook. That and the Food Network lol
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    if you have a crock pot, you could throw chicken breast and salsa in it and set the timer or buy some beef stew meat, throw in a bunch of veggies and set the timer. There are all kinds of things you can do with a crock pot and that way you know that the food is "done". You can google crock pot recipes for other ideas.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com taught me how to cook. That and the Food Network lol

Its true, Food Network is amazing for that. Its also a good way to learn new terms!
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Soup is so easy to make, can be made cheaply, fills you up, can be frozen and is generally low in calories. Just search online and you'll find loads of recipes. Don't be afraid to experiment by adding vegetables/pulses that you like. Have fun with the cooking. Once you get into it I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Do they want you to cook healthy for them? If they are not smart, they may not know the difference.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend! Google "basic cooking terms" and you'll get some great reference lists. You can also go into your local bookstore and look for the cooking-for-dummies type cookbooks.
    "cook until done" is a matter of safet for meats, and personal preference for veggies, pastas, grains & beans. The container will give you a range of times (like 30-45 minutes). Take a spoon, fish out a bean, noodle or a few grains, let it cool a sec, and see how you like the texture. Want it softer? Leave it in longer.
    For meat, ground meat is REALLY easy to cook and tell when it's done, because it all turns fom pink to grey (turkey) or brown (beef). Just open a package, slap it in a frying pan over medium heat, and stab repeatedly with a big spoon to break it up into small pieces. Repeat until you know it's all the same cooked color (even the insides of the lumps), and if you're still not sure, you can even leave it a couple more minutes just to be safe. Then use in soup, pasta, burritos--the possibilities are endless. Or you can get a jar of your favorite sauce, pour it over some chicken breasts and veggies in a casserole dish, and bake it at 350 for an hour. I do this a lot with curry sauces I don't know how o make on my own.
    Quinoa is a great thing to have on hand. If you're not familiar with it, it's a whole grain that is high in protein. A good alternative to rice or pasta, depending on the dish. Pronounced "keen-wah". You can make a pot of it that will last you a week, and just top it with other things. it makes a great salad with hopped cucumbers & tomatoes, too.
    Google "simple stir fry"--stir fry intimidated me for so long, but it's really not hard at all. Chop your veggies in order of hardness. The harder veggies take longer to cook, so those go in first while you're chopping the others. And you don't need a wok (special stir fry pan); any regular frying pan will do. Stir fry is GREAT on top of quinoa. Once you get comfy with it, you can play around with different spices & flavorings.
    Soups are easy to make -- it's basically just a lot of chopping veggies & waiting for it all to simmer together into a delicious pot 'o goodness. Plus veggie soup freezes well, so you can make a big pot of it and bring in smaller servings for lunch, or have thm for dinner in a month. The Pyrex 2-cup bowls are pefec for that. Once you get comfortable with the basics, you'll find it's easy to come up with your own recipes. Until then, check out the top row in the soup aisle at your local grocery store. There are a lot of soup mixes to be had; grab a couple to try & follow the directions. Try to stick to ones that have food ingredients, not a bunch of chemicals -- once you figure out what you like, you can start recreating them from scratch for even cheaper.
    Learn how to make eggs. Again, Google is your friend on this one. Eggs are such a great basic that you can dress up in so many ways. Ommlettes, quiche, frittata...they're all just eggs in one form or another.
  • Rystmom
    Rystmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am anxious to try these ideas